LBZ: Trans build prep

mvetting

Nov 24, 2013
DaJokr, keep us updated. I think eventually I'd like to do my own trans too. Thanks for all the info thus far.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Guess I better order some. Do they come in a multi sized package? Or is it a single size per unit type thing? Think I saw them, but they were a single unit type thing. Wonder if there is ANY local alli dealers who would carry them.

dirtracer347

May 23, 2014
Ky
Is the new wiring harness something that is required to replace? I see that some do it and some don't. Ordering parts to do mine just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Is the new wiring harness something that is required to replace? I see that some do it and some don't. Ordering parts to do mine just trying to get my ducks in a row.

If the harness is leaking at the main connector you need a new harness.

dirtracer347

May 23, 2014
Ky
Thanks Mike. Unfortunately mine is leaking and has been for a while. Is there a vendor on here that sells them? Or should I just get one from the dealer?

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I got mine either from merchant auto or dirty hooker diesel. Only replacing mine since I have 300k on the trans. Might as well replace it while I'm in there.

I had a talk with the truck tonight. Crawled underneath and looked at what I'm getting myself into. Tried to talk it into being nice and it decided to drop dry mud in my eye...

Cursed it and went inside.

Lotsa time to get psyched again. Looking forward to opening it up, just not removal and re installation.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Mike, do you carry the goer end pto covers that require the drilling of the case to redirect the fluid from the c2's to the c3's? I had been thinking that with the pinwheels it probably wouldn't be an issue, but since you have to do it with the trans gutted, figured this is the best time if the covers are a good idea.

Also, is there a particular trans fluid to use with the suncoast kits (I believe we decided on Dex 3, just looking for a specific brand)? It's the last thing on my list and I'm not exactly sure how much to get. I'm assuming it would be a good idea to get all the fluid out of the cooler and lines to/from the trans at the same time to make sure there is nothing to contaminate the trans.

Lastly, there are drags this weekend. If I push the tranny in its current state with the failing converter, am I likely to destroy the trans in a way that my build will not be able to repair it? (I hope that makes sense).

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Its not worth taking out your trans and contaminating your system with crap. I put Valvoline dex 3 in mine. It took 20 quarts.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike, do you carry the goer end pto covers that require the drilling of the case to redirect the fluid from the c2's to the c3's? I had been thinking that with the pinwheels it probably wouldn't be an issue, but since you have to do it with the trans gutted, figured this is the best time if the covers are a good idea.

Also, is there a particular trans fluid to use with the suncoast kits (I believe we decided on Dex 3, just looking for a specific brand)? It's the last thing on my list and I'm not exactly sure how much to get. I'm assuming it would be a good idea to get all the fluid out of the cooler and lines to/from the trans at the same time to make sure there is nothing to contaminate the trans.

Lastly, there are drags this weekend. If I push the tranny in its current state with the failing converter, am I likely to destroy the trans in a way that my build will not be able to repair it? (I hope that makes sense).

Call me.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
My kits at the border waiting on customs. Got word today. Mike, I'm off Monday so I'll try to give you a dingle when I get a chance between chores and errands.

VinceGU05

duramax lover downunder
May 20, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
quote" I use a regular floor jack to lower my trans from under the truck and it works well, just make sure it's balanced or else you will be juggling 350 pounds...trust me, it sucks.

Here is how I get it back up under the truck:D

Ratcheting tie downs around the torsion bars and under the trans. Ratchet it and it lifts it right up so you can slide your jack under it. Works like a champ." end quote

20140304_155206_zps1e0af7d0.jpg

i made up a simple trans pan cradle that slips into the head of the floor jack. works a treat!!
one spigot of just trans the other is trans with transfer case attached.

Last edited:

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
If I had access to a welder and steel I'm sure it would be super handy. Gotta realize I'm doing this in a carport with heaved/rutted asphalt and no pneumatic tools. Think caveman meets Industrial Age.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Parts were attempted to be dropped off. If I can get the rest of my stuff together I'll be doing it this coming week. Sounds like I may have a week off, lotsa time!

Jack stands, jack, catch containers, and trans fluid and I'm set I think. No bench grinder. 4" grinder though.

dirtracer347

May 23, 2014
Ky
What's the grinder for? I'm jealous you got your kit!! I ordered mine but they were out of stock on some parts been playing the waiting game, poking around trying to take it easy on 3rd gear.