LBZ: Trans build prep

JBabb

Sep 21, 2014
Wow, I just read all 17 pages of this thread. Great right up to say the least. I'm am getting ready to have my 5speed lly trans built but I've been wondering could I do it myself. After reading this I may just try it and see. Aside from the shop bill for the whole bearing screw up, how much did you have in the parts for the initial build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Wow, I just read all 17 pages of this thread. Great right up to say the least. I'm am getting ready to have my 5speed lly trans built but I've been wondering could I do it myself. After reading this I may just try it and see. Aside from the shop bill for the whole bearing screw up, how much did you have in the parts for the initial build?

DHD has alot of the springs and C3 oiler you need. Just an fyi

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada

Oh, and a 5 speed is a little bit of a different monster then the 6 speed, so if you do attempt it, make sure you understand the differences. I would definitely recommend a shop build it, like Inglewood Trans if you want a flawless install. If it made sense financially, that's what I would have done from the start.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I'm curious what mike says about the half throttle shifts being safer. I have about 25k on my built trans and need to drop the pan and swap filters and new fluid. Wouldn't be a bad idea to do the springs then as I am just running transgo springs right now

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
I give you lots of credit on building your own trans. was the upside down bearing your only assembly issue? was this easy to avoid and you just overlooked it? I have a friend who got his trans built by a hobbyist who had built 6 other allys that to this day are still used and abused but on my buddys he accidentally flipped a bearing and it messed the trans up. he gave him all his money back and dipper fixed it for my buddy ( great guy ) . dipper also said that the guy did a good job on the trans and that shit just happens sometimes. looking at building mine in the next year with the help of atsg and trans times .

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I started to rush to get it in the truck. I heard a crunch when I was tightening down the extension housing, and I couldn't spin the output shaft at all without wrapping a rag around the shaft and putting channel locks on it...

I enjoyed the experience, I asked plenty of questions before and during (though perhaps not quite enough), and would definitely do it again. If it wasn't for that bearing, it would have been a flawless build. 70,000km later and it still runs strong, and even smoother since I went back to stock TCM tuning.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Alright, so I had originally hoped for a mike l built trans. Wife said no to a road trip, so I'm either building myself or taking to a local shop I guess :/ >

Old thread, good info here. I was facing a similar dilemma, I sold the wife on a road trip-to Disneyland, THEN I mentioned there might be a nearby trans shop that could make a few tweaks on the trans so we would be less likely to have trans problems pulling our 5th wheel on coast to coast trips. Glad I did, I'm gettin' too old to be doing stuff like yanking and rebuilding an Allison trans. Hooked up the 5th wheel, drove 1000 miles and spent a week in Anaheim, Mike had my truck back in one day with a better trans, pump rub fix and a downpipe. We spent the next 5 days with Mickey then 1000 miles back home with no issues. That's been over 3 years ago, truck is happy, I'm happy and Momma's happy. :)

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Nothing would have been nicer then a transmission from Mike, it just wasn't in the cards for me, and with the shudder I was getting, I wouldn't have tried to risk a trip from Canada to Mike...as much as I would have loved to make the trip lol.

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Alright, so I had originally hoped for a mike l built trans. Wife said no to a road trip, so I'm either building myself or taking to a local shop I guess :/ >

Old thread, good info here. I was facing a similar dilemma, I sold the wife on a road trip-to Disneyland, THEN I mentioned there might be a nearby trans shop that could make a few tweaks on the trans so we would be less likely to have trans problems pulling our 5th wheel on coast to coast trips. Glad I did, I'm gettin' too old to be doing stuff like yanking and rebuilding an Allison trans. Hooked up the 5th wheel, drove 1000 miles and spent a week in Anaheim, Mike had my truck back in one day with a better trans, pump rub fix and a downpipe. We spent the next 5 days with Mickey then 1000 miles back home with no issues. That's been over 3 years ago, truck is happy, I'm happy and Momma's happy. :)

What about pure addiction diesel in oregon? Or bring it up to Scott in Port Angels at Screaming diesel performance.