LBZ: Trans build prep

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Just locks up to hard for my likings after having a ML. Jerks the truck hard if you are not giving her hell.

Have you ever had a Tech 2 on it and did a Fast learn procedure? The TCC has it's own adapts and needs to be reset. The Allison DOC can do it and so can the Tech 2.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Have you ever had a Tech 2 on it and did a Fast learn procedure? The TCC has it's own adapts and needs to be reset. The Allison DOC can do it and so can the Tech 2.

Yes. Now have about 25 passes at the strip and 500 miles on her. Might run it over to the local Allison dealer and have them do a relearn on it to see if that helps. All the research I have done said the 1058 locks up harder then the ML from goerand

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Ordered stator and pump bushings yesterday. Rest of the parts are coming from sun coast. Just need to pick an ATF now. Dex 6 or Dex 3. I see so much back and forth, I honestly don't know what the right answer is.

DmaxRvRrat

Mar 19, 2014

I want to do this as well but are you able to do this on a 2001? I was told it was only 02+ for a fast learn

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I can't say why, but my 1058 has always locked up pretty hard from day 1. It's the only 1058 I've ever driven or ridden in, but I've never felt another converter that locks up like mine. I'm not worried it will break something on lockup, but I definitely know when it's locked. I feel it a lot more than any shift. I bought it in January of 2008 when they first came out. It was probably one of the first ones they made. Maybe they have changed something since then. I don't know. I still like the converter though.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Anytime slip rpm is low when the tcm commands lockup it will be firmer then if slip rpm is high.

And I'm talking about slip rpm as in hydraulic coupling slip not clutch slip.

As Mike stated the tcm has adapts for tcc apply and when it sees low slip rpm it gets more aggressive with its ramp up of pressure. And since a triple plate will lock at a much lower duty cycle then a stock converter it feels harsh.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I can't say why, but my 1058 has always locked up pretty hard from day 1. It's the only 1058 I've ever driven or ridden in, but I've never felt another converter that locks up like mine. I'm not worried it will break something on lockup, but I definitely know when it's locked. I feel it a lot more than any shift. I bought it in January of 2008 when they first came out. It was probably one of the first ones they made. Maybe they have changed something since then. I don't know. I still like the converter though.

Mine seems the same way. Just seemed like my goerand one I could barely tell. I am pretty sure those are a triple disc also. Starting to get use to it.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks mike. I figured it would, but I just needed to make sure.

Parts are rolling in. Feels like Christmas. Can hardly wait to order the kit now and get the show on the road :thumb:

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
44DF2AE5-783B-4AB7-A47D-80D9BDC93A30.jpg

85D76A6B-165A-4F9D-B947-AE728CE1BB92.jpg

Probably didn't need the tcase brace, but I bought it off a member on DF so might as well throw it on lol :D

Reading through my transmission times for the bazillionth time, it mentions inserting something to prevent parts from sliding or dropping? I'm not 100% clear on this, and I didn't see anything about it in my atsg. Is it possible to get a picture, or more of a description on this?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You need to keep the main shaft from coming down too far. A flat piece of steel bolted to the front of the case with a long threaded rod will do the trick.