LBZ: Trans build prep

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
As long as I can get it to vibrate/shutter I guess.

Is there a reason it wouldn't shutter all the time mike? Wife and I were out for a drive last night and I couldn't for the love of me get it to happen. When we had it on the tech 2 converter was locking up fine, all pressures were good. They said there's nothing wrong that they could see.

Just irritating not being able to get the verification. I figured for sure the tech 2 woulda said something was pooched. Hasn't had a limp either since the first week the transgo went in, and I'm assuming it's because it didn't have time to relearn because I have not been able to get it to do it again.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Alright, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this converter issue.

I'm not doubting it's the converter, so let me say that right now. I have questioned this community before and was wrong, lesson learned.

I'm trying to understand why it is doing what it's doing. Shudders/vibrates when you accelerate around 65-70mph and does not stop whether it's the heavy tow, 90, or 150 tune. No symptoms, that I can hear or feel, when on the optimized stock. Here's were I get kinda confused:
I hooked it up to a tech 2 and went for a drive. It didn't matter what tune I used, where I was for speed, or what rpm I was at, I could not get the shudder/vibration to happen. I got it out on the highway, I passed vehicles (usually when it happens), and nothing.
Why doesn't it do it all the time? I'm still not getting any codes, though I have basically left it on the optimized stock tune since it really caught my attention and have tried not to beat on it.

What exactly in the converter isn't working? Does it have to do with the clutches? What about the flex plate, could it crack?

Any insight would be appreciated.

This a stock trans? My stock trans truck does this exact same thing. Doesn't do it in stock, or tow but the other bigger tunes it does. Noticed it when I was passing a car. I've narrowed mine down to only doing it in 5th gear. My trans guy (who has not rode in the truck, just diagnosed over the phone) said it was a clutch pack going bad.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
My converter is locked when it happens. From a dead stop it won't do it, but if I'm cruising and she's locked, it shutters. Not all the time though, but majority.

Thank god I'm building the SOB.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
My converter is locked when it happens. From a dead stop it won't do it, but if I'm cruising and she's locked, it shutters. Not all the time though, but majority.

Thank god I'm building the SOB.

Yea I'm building this one to but going to limp it as long as possible. It's my farm truck not a race truck. The stock trans lasted longer in my other truck and I beat the shit out of it.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Well I limped it. Didn't realize I could use the autocal to see the trans codes, so the po700 got deleted. When it limped I was passing a semi. Pulled over and put it in park. Waited a minute and shut it off. Pulled the key. Waited a couple minutes then started it back up. Engine light came on right away. Reverse didn't work, drive didn't work and gave the shift inhibit message. Thought it would store the code so I could drive, but didn't. Had to delete the po700. Heard a click under the steering wheel and had my gears back.

Limp number 2. Crap.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Ok, drug my list out, here's what I got:

Suncoast gmax 6r-3
This kit includes all rubber and paper gaskets
All seals
Spin on and internal filters as well as filter lock
Transgo jr (this will be removed from my kit as I have one installed already)
Transgo Convertor flow Valve

Suncoast 1058 Billet Torque Convertor

Stator Bushing

Pump Bushing

Complete Torrington Bearing Kit

Allison Internal Wiring Harness

Mike L Allison Tranny Line Pressure Upgrade Spring

6 Gallons Dex III (this the correct fluid to use?)

What am I missing? Might do the cooler lines while everything's apart.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I would hang on to the new Transgo jr as your old kit may have damaged springs. Suncoast and I have had to replace a lot of broken springs in the Transgo trim valves.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for the heads up mike. One of the local shops in town carries them so if mine are broke I will head there and pick the kit up again.

Guess I have everything priced out then. Time to start ordering parts. Any specific brand of dex III mike? Or just the regular stuff from the dealer? I wa reading your thread on what fluids to use and it got to the point where it seemed like any dex III, Dex VI or transynd fluid would work. So I'm kinda looking for some direction. Sorry.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Well go figure. My wife told me I should spend the extra money and get the crate trans from Mike.

So....Mike...lol, gonna need an actual amount for the trans, if you require a core charge paid or use a trust system, and who you would ship on so I can work out what this is gonna cost me in Canadian funds.

I can give you a call if it's easier, but figured I would just give you a heads up so you could work out any details you require.

I know I can do it myself, but I'll feel a whole lot better if it's coming from your shop. Wife will be giving me the final approval. I was gonna start ordering the first $600 worth of build materials when she told me this. So the sooner I get a number, the sooner I either order these parts or get your trans coming to me:hug:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well go figure. My wife told me I should spend the extra money and get the crate trans from Mike.

So....Mike...lol, gonna need an actual amount for the trans, if you require a core charge paid or use a trust system, and who you would ship on so I can work out what this is gonna cost me in Canadian funds.

I can give you a call if it's easier, but figured I would just give you a heads up so you could work out any details you require.

I know I can do it myself, but I'll feel a whole lot better if it's coming from your shop. Wife will be giving me the final approval. I was gonna start ordering the first $600 worth of build materials when she told me this. So the sooner I get a number, the sooner I either order these parts or get your trans coming to me:hug:

Give me a call or pm me your number and we can talk.:D

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Was going to give you a call Mike, but I've been swamped. Don't suppose your open Saturday? I might have better luck tomorrow. Sounds like I'll have a slower day lol

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
My trans is doing the same as yours DaJokr. I have not limped it yet but i get the tc shudder when i roll on the throttle hard in 5th /6th. Fortunately i am in cali close to Mike's shop. i will be calling Mike very soon to schedule an appointment to have the trans built.:woott:

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Just messing with u bud. But he really is going to build Friday. I called him today to make the appt. I'm pretty excited. As I was loading the new built trans tunes from Atp I ran across ur post. Mike will hook u up when u call him Friday.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Joker, on a good note Kory got me up and running and wowzer does this beotch scoot down the blacktop. Oh and that converter...yea pretty much frackin awesome when she locks up:woott: