LBZ: Trans build prep

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
I bought the parts from Mike because tech support was included. He was making some Italian pasta dish at home but took time out to assist me via the phone. Get yourself the ATSG manual and team up with Mike, you cannot go wrong.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I bought the parts from Mike because tech support was included. He was making some Italian pasta dish at home but took time out to assist me via the phone. Get yourself the ATSG manual and team up with Mike, you cannot go wrong.

What he said. Its not voodoo magic but don't take it lightly either

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
What he said. Its not voodoo magic but don't take it lightly either

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I plan on grabbing the manual. And I know it's not voodoo. It's just a tranny. If I build it myself, I have 4 days guaranteed to work on it, but I would probably give myself a week just to make sure I took my time. I've been trying to find a list of tools, specialty ones specifically, so that I don't get stumped to badly if I do make the attempt.

Everything I'm hearing about local shops right now....if I can't get my trans from Mike, I will be doing it myself. I had been considering an ats, but got talked out of it pretty fast lol

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I plan on grabbing the manual. And I know it's not voodoo. It's just a tranny. If I build it myself, I have 4 days guaranteed to work on it, but I would probably give myself a week just to make sure I took my time. I've been trying to find a list of tools, specialty ones specifically, so that I don't get stumped to badly if I do make the attempt.

Everything I'm hearing about local shops right now....if I can't get my trans from Mike, I will be doing it myself. I had been considering an ats, but got talked out of it pretty fast lol

A week?? Hell I had never been in side an allison before, pulled my truck in on a Wednesday morning, was driving down the road thursday afternoon:D It's been 2 years since I built mine, I pulled it apart 2 weeks ago to check it out inside and to upgrade some hydraulics. It's even better now than it was before and it still looked brand new inside. You can do it.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
A week?? Hell I had never been in side an allison before, pulled my truck in on a Wednesday morning, was driving down the road thursday afternoon:D It's been 2 years since I built mine, I pulled it apart 2 weeks ago to check it out inside and to upgrade some hydraulics. It's even better now than it was before and it still looked brand new inside. You can do it.

Thx for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it:hug: Helps if you have a shop and tools at your disposal. Wish I had my dad's toolbox. He was a mechanic until he had an accident at work. Hasn't pulled wrenches in years. He has given me a hand on my truck though, especially when I did my blocker plate.

A week is overkill I'm sure, but after an update from kory for built trans tunes....I'm gonna want a few play days :D

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My shop consists of a single wide garage and a truck up on jack stands. I don't have anything fancy and it still isn't that bad. The Allison is a heavy beast tho.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
A good hydraulic jack to drop it and raise it. 4 good stands. And a stand for the trans or a table.

I have an open driveway that's on a hill lol

Starting to feel more inclined to build this monster...thanks a lot :/ lol

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I use a regular floor jack to lower my trans from under the truck and it works well, just make sure it's balanced or else you will be juggling 350 pounds...trust me, it sucks.

Here is how I get it back up under the truck:D

Ratcheting tie downs around the torsion bars and under the trans. Ratchet it and it lifts it right up so you can slide your jack under it. Works like a champ.

20140304_155206_zps1e0af7d0.jpg

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Well if I go the build my own route, I hope there's no hard feelings mike, and I hope I can still pick your brain for advice.

That pic is pretty much the way I envisioned it looking. Although I see an exhaust in pieces. My stocker is one piece still lol

slowlb7

Feb 10, 2014
des Moines iowa
How long ago was this. I have asked mike about buying parts,kits from him and from his replays i took it as he is not selling any parts or kits at this time only doing in house builds intell his new kits are ready for sells? Please fill me in if I'm wrong and also how long intell these said kits are for sell?

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
How long ago was this. I have asked mike about buying parts,kits from him and from his replays i took it as he is not selling any parts or kits at this time only doing in house builds intell his new kits are ready for sells? Please fill me in if I'm wrong and also how long intell these said kits are for sell?

Heard the same thing for 4 years. Its all "fiction" until there is a product for us all to see.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007

I wasn't aware of this, I bought my parts maybe 4-5 years ago. I do not currently know Mikes position on selling kits but he did post in this thread to call him and he could "help". I would give that a try if you haven't already.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I called mike a month or so ago. Said he wasn't selling parts or kits as this time. I respected that I just hope he'll still sell me his new converter in a few months :D

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I figured it was that or to roll the trans to line it up.

We tried to get the tran to slip yesterday with a tech2 hooked up, and the shop couldn't get the bastard to vibrate. I took them out again and put it on my big tune and romped on her. Couldn't get it to vibrate, man was I mad. It's either a good thing or a very bad thing.

Hoping good. Means I can save the rest of the cash I need for the build, but if she bombs on me, I got my parts list and recruited my dad. He actually seemed excited at the prospect of building my trans lol. It's a good father/son project if it craps out suddenly.

I'm baiting my wife. Told her if it goes, I'm Using her truck and she will be taking the bus until its fixed, so she should let me do the tranny. I'm so sneaky:joker::eek: