LBZ: Trans build prep

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
That's the consensus. Trying to find out what I need to do to verify its slipping. My cts has no option, not sure if my autocal will. Hopefully a trans shop will though.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You should be able to load TCM PIDs on your AutoCal and verify it with some datalogs.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I'll try that, no PC so I'll need to find one I can borrow. Maybe if I update the cts I will have the TC slippage gauge.

Starting the search for a trans. Gonna have to call mike again...

Oh, no codes either.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Alright, so I'm cruising around suncoasts site, and I'm getting confused already. I see a gmax 6-3, 6r-3, 6-2, 6r-2....like wtf? And when is mikes clutches coming out lol

Converter, I'm thinking a suncoast 1058 billet cover triple disk.

Truck is a dd, i put on a lot of miles each year...50-60,000km/year. I kdo run my truck at the track, not a bunch, but i tend to hotrod while I'm out cruising too. And whie I do plan on twins in the future, it's something that is probably safely a couple years away at least. So would this converter work for my intended uses?

I know I said his all pretty much in my first post, and I know everyone will tell me to call mike...I will lol. Right now I'm in the brainstorming phase and hoping the trans hangs in there.

Back on my stock tune and feather footed, and it sucks lol.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
6-3 & 6-3r are full kits with seals, gaskets, filters, trans go & clutches. they do not come with bearings though. 6-3R stands for raybestos clutches and the 6-3 is alto clutches. the 6-2 kits are just clutches and trans go. no gaskets or seals

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Lol, if only I could afford to :neener

I'd actually love to build the trans myself, be an awesome feeling to accomplish that on my own. Just don't knw if I could get it done by myself in 4 days and have t back up and running. Or the tools I would need.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
well I have to ask. if youre not building it. then why are you looking at clutch kits?

are you buying a kit just to give it to someone else to build?

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
If I can't afford or fund a mike l trans, then plan B is to get the parts and have a local build it. If that's still not financially feasible then I might just tackle it myself. I know if intake my time I would have no problems, I just don't know how I'm Gonna get the trans in and out is all. And if I really can't afford to build and it breaks, it will get a stock converter and never see the 150 tune again lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
There is a simple solution to your problem. If you can't afford to build the trans the right way, then back the tuning down, keep your right foot under control and save up for it.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Exactly what I'm doing. It's income tax time, I have money saved and CC's all paid off. It's not that I couldn't afford it, it's just I wanna pay cash for everything.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I see lots of people running the 1057 converter. I was planning on the 58 due to future plans of twinning though. Would a 58 be a bad choice until I twinned? Should I just run a 57? Ill be upgrading my EFI when the trans gets built for a big tune as well.

Mike, I might be calling ya in a couple hours if you aren't to busy.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I see lots of people running the 1057 converter. I was planning on the 58 due to future plans of twinning though. Would a 58 be a bad choice until I twinned? Should I just run a 57? Ill be upgrading my EFI when the trans gets built for a big tune as well.

Mike, I might be calling ya in a couple hours if you aren't to busy.

The 58 will be fine.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I've got the gmax 6 in my truck with a 1056 tc. Got about 45,000 miles on it and it still performs like it did when I had it built. Truck has been over 500 hp for the first 30,000 and 600 hp for about the last 15,000 miles.

The trans in my other truck is getting weak. I've got a local trans builder who I would argue is one of the best builders in the whole country. He's a very smart guy and is just getting into building allisons. He spends quit a bit of time reading about them and I am confident he could build it and have no problems for the hp I'll be putting out. He said it'd be about $500 labor plus the kit (me removing the trans). If I've got my figures right and don't have any surprises I will have a built trans for less than $3k. If my guy can find all the part separately any cheaper than say an alligator kit then it could be down to $2500. Will it hold 1000 hp? no. Do I need it to hold 1000? no.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Got it narrowed to Mike l, Calvin, or ordering parts from suncoast and either trying to find a competent builder or building myself. I think I trust myself more then the locals. Then it just comes down to having the right tools. Need to get an Allison manual and just see if it's something I would tackle.