LBZ: Trans build prep

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
...Not all good. I think I crushed the Torrington bearing when I put the extention housing in. It goes to the trans shop Wednesday. I'm hoping there is no damage to anything else. I heard what I can only presume was a crunch when I started to tighten the tail housing down though, and yes I didn't just crank them down, I worked them down slowly criss crossing to keep even pressure as it went down.

When I called Mike and explained it he said don't drive it, so it's getting towed to the shop to have my stupidity corrected.

If anyone reading this attempts there own build, I have only a few words of wisdom: DONT if your working in a set time frame. It takes longer then you think if you have no experience. RECHECK everything several times before you put snap rings or bolts or anything in. If it doesn't slide easy, don't force it. If it makes a sound that you don't like, disassemble to make sure no damage is incurred.

All in all, if I had rechecked the bearing when the extension housing went on by taking it off and making sure I didn't have something shift, and if I had kept rechecking fluid when I initially filled it, I'm pretty sure it would have been a problem free start.

It really makes your stomach sink when you spend a lot of time on something and it fails, especially when everyone thinks your stupid for even attempting it.

Not all trans builds are success stories. I wish this one was:(

SHIIIIT!Im sorry it f ed up on you, it's prob something simple and don't let it get you down,i had mine finished 3 times before it was ok and yes stomach knots every time,You attempted and that sais a lot,takes big kahonas to do it yourself,to do anything yourself,GOOD job none the less:thumb:.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Really sorry to hear this, but at least you were honest and admitted you made a mistake. It happens. To many people end up having issues but they are to proud to admit it making other people think its easy so they attempt it themselves.

Unfortunately stories like yours are all to common. I get calls all the time from people wanting help after its to late.

God luck getting it fixed. Hopefully the damage isn't to extensive......

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada

Pretty sure that Torrington got squished because I heard a crunch sound once when I started and once as I got close to having the extention housing completely down. It makes a grinding noise kind of in reverse and 1st, it's noticeable most at 1200ish rpm in 1st gear. My stomach totally sunk. Me and my dad were so proud when it moved.

I would attempt it again, but getting it in and out in the carport was so difficult that I would rather just do the building again and let someone else do the hard work pulling the trans and installing it again.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
No, there is one below the lower gear that is visible in the picture you posted.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
You probably installed it upside down. Broke a chunk or two of it off during install. Then after a little driving it worked its way through the gears.

Unfortunately I have seen it done before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Sorry to hear about your luck man, I was rooting for you! I can only imagine the sinking feeling when you realized it wasn't right. My first trans build is still going strong behind a twin turboed Cummins but man I was nervous on the test drive! Hopefully its something relatively cheap.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Gotta pay to play, this is unfortunately probably going to be an expensive lesson.

I enjoyed the quality 1-on-1 time with my dad though. The trans could have fallen out, you can't replace the time I spent with him though:hug:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Well I hope it turns out to be an easy fix I am so looking forward to seeing new post about your track performance. It will all work out for you I am sure of it. A mistake is never a total lost if you learn from it and you seem to already know what would have prevented it. With your attitude this can be chalked up to a lesson well learned now get back on that horse and ride!:thumb:

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I'm sure it won't be a cheap fix, but I'm stoked to get it working properly for sure. Gonna see if the trans shop will let me take pics when they crack it open. I wanna see the carnage I created so I never screw it up again.

I'm sure even the best builders have screwed up here and there, all part of learning.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
...Not all good. I think I crushed the Torrington bearing when I put the extention housing in. It goes to the trans shop Wednesday. I'm hoping there is no damage to anything else. I heard what I can only presume was a crunch when I started to tighten the tail housing down though, and yes I didn't just crank them down, I worked them down slowly criss crossing to keep even pressure as it went down.

When I called Mike and explained it he said don't drive it, so it's getting towed to the shop to have my stupidity corrected.

If anyone reading this attempts there own build, I have only a few words of wisdom: DONT if your working in a set time frame. It takes longer then you think if you have no experience. RECHECK everything several times before you put snap rings or bolts or anything in. If it doesn't slide easy, don't force it. If it makes a sound that you don't like, disassemble to make sure no damage is incurred.

All in all, if I had rechecked the bearing when the extension housing went on by taking it off and making sure I didn't have something shift, and if I had kept rechecking fluid when I initially filled it, I'm pretty sure it would have been a problem free start.

It really makes your stomach sink when you spend a lot of time on something and it fails, especially when everyone thinks your stupid for even attempting it.

Not all trans builds are success stories. I wish this one was:(

Everyone on here that has built them has messed one or two up or had something that caused one to not work perfect. It happens. My first one cracked the extension housing. Didn't have P2 ring seated in the last C4 friction and bent that to shit.

The bearings were hammered into my head from the get go about having them perfect with the stories of people having issues. Triple checked them with the book every time. Still times you miss things though.

You learned something and had fun doing it, plus it was on your own truck. Don't feel bad, just remember there are people out there charging others to do their trans, screwing them up then saying "tough chit". You aren't screwing anyone, so lifes good.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Everyone on here that has built them has messed one or two up or had something that caused one to not work perfect. It happens. My first one cracked the extension housing. Didn't have P2 ring seated in the last C4 friction and bent that to shit.

The bearings were hammered into my head from the get go about having them perfect with the stories of people having issues. Triple checked them with the book every time. Still times you miss things though.

You learned something and had fun doing it, plus it was on your own truck. Don't feel bad, just remember there are people out there charging others to do their trans, screwing them up then saying "tough chit". You aren't screwing anyone, so lifes good.

:thumb::hug:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne

Not true. Mine went great. Still running strong today