LBZ: Trans build prep

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
This is what I'm hoping as well. Did it feel like your truck was lunging?

It would damn near bark the tires at 55 during normal driving when it locked the first hundred miles or so. It will smooth out with some more time on it.

Now when it comes on in fifth during normal driving I can feel the converter clutch start to apply then it smooths right into lockup, unless I am romping on it of course.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Reread your original post. It does not say anyone that's built 100-200. I'm just making a point that people HAVE successfully had luck rebuilding there own trans. I don't want others to read this and think there is no hope.

I can't speak for Vinny, but I think the point he was making is that if you build enough of them, you will screw something up sooner or later. Hopefully you get lucky and it's a cheap/easy fix.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yup, I just thought mine would be smooth as butter ne-max. And with my luck on this trans so far, well, you know lol

Well I'll update in a week or so then.

It will never be as smooth as stock but it also shouldn't slam. Give it time to learn and a couple hundred miles of it locking and unlocking

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Mine locked so hard it would lunge forward enough it rocked forward and back a couple times like a glide rocker every time it locked. I was it was going to break something and would let off a bit during lockup. After a short bit it got way better.

jwg03

Apr 18, 2013
Oklahoma
Gotta pay to play, this is unfortunately probably going to be an expensive lesson.

I enjoyed the quality 1-on-1 time with my dad though. The trans could have fallen out, you can't replace the time I spent with him though:hug:
I admire you for taking this project on and being honest about mistakes for the rest of us to learn from.

Take advantage of all the 1 on 1 time with your dad you can. Lost my dad last October and miss those special times. Missed many opportunities to spend with him being to busy last couple years.

VinceGU05

duramax lover downunder
May 20, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
So it's at the shop now. There talking about just taking the tail housing off and if there's a bearing toasted as long as it hasn't gone through the planetarys just replace it and slap the housing back on. If it has then they will tear the whole trans down and check it all. But at this point they are just leaving the tranny in the truck.

It's got me nervous, because I thought that was a nono...

Yes the planetaries take on an ugly look when a bearing goes thru them.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
That's a lot worse then mine. The needles were still in the cage. Just a couple chunks from the planetarys missing and dents in the sungears. $600 in parts, 1000 in labour though:(

1100mi and converter is starting to smooth out. Jerks still, but not bad enough to bark the tires. We shall see what it does in another couple thousand miles.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Just an update, trans has 8000km on it now. Converter has really smoothed out. Puts power down really smoothly with the tuned TCM. Was nervous at first about taking it on the road because of my, erm, basackwards Torrington placement problem. But now it's just like it was before it seems...minus the fact it almost runs 12's:woott:

Big thanks to all you guys. Mike L and Brock just to name a couple. I actually wouldn't mind doing it again as long as I could get someone else to pull it and reinstall it lol. Now we shall see how long it lasts;):D

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Just an update, I'm up around 35000km now and planning on doing a trans fluid flush. Working on solving a small (I hope) lock up issue, once I get some data logs. All driving in t/h is solid with the converter locking firm (not harsh though) before 3rd. However if I'm not in t/h and I'm cruising around 71km/h the converter will engage, disengage, engage, disengage, engage...you get the idea, until I get to around 73-74km/h. This is in 5th gear. I usually lock it out of 5th until I'm at about 75km/h so it is a smoother transition. I've chalked it up to the TCM tuning, since before tuning I don't recall the converter locking until 80km/h, but always unlocked at about 70km/h.

Sound about right? Or do I have a major mechanical issue and I'm just to dumb to notice?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Change the tuning back, or log to see if its commanding it to lock like that. Maybe someone set the lock/unlock speeds too close together.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Same guy that tuned the ECM, KW. Think I'll just go to stock TCM tuning and leave it that way. Was trying to get around using a lockup box (to save money) until I could afford the lock up box. I may not even notice a difference without the TCM tuning, who knows.

Might have to phone you for a little chat Mike if your not swamped and gave some time.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Well, it took long enough, but serviced the trans today and put the stock TCM file back in and had a tech do the relearn. Day and night difference. Lockup is happening around 75kph under normal driving conditions and unlocks around the 70-71kph. wish I had done this sooner.

Had planned to put in mikes springs to replace the trans go ones but ran out of time as the truck needed a window. Just shy of 72000km, and now that I'm running the stock tune on the TCM, gotta say this is the best the transmission has felt since the build.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Now that I know the tune on the TCM was the cause (I was worried it was a hard part issue...like I f'd it up again...) I am looking forward to getting the springs in. im not sure what will feel different now, but everyone said they were the bees knees so I had to get them for my truck lol.