LBZ: Trans build prep

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks Andrew. Think we're all sorted out here. Just looking forward to driving it again and getting back to the track. Already planning on finding another allison to use as a spare and get another kit for it. You'll get another call from me when that time rolls around :thumb

Thanks everyone for your help through the build, before, and after. I appreciate not being mocked for screwing it up. I half expected to be ridiculed, but instead it felt more like support. This forum is full of awesome and helpful people. It's nice to be a part of a community like this and makes me even prouder as a dmax owner.

Next up, making my mark on the locals as a force to be reckoned :woott:

we all make mistakes. least you didnt cover them up or played it off to us as it was no biggy and things are working great. We are pretty good at spotting bullshitters here and they seem to come more often then the honest ones. its good to see an honest one here for a change Dajokr :D

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So I put the bearing on the 3rd sungear on upside down :facepalm:

Took out the planetary's, the large sungear in the c3's, the intermediate or output shaft and the bearing. Should have it back tomorrow once I scrounge up the funds for the repair bill.

Lesson learned, I hate torringtons. And the picture is so clear, we quadrupal checked that bearing before I closed it up even.

Are all the needles still in the cage? Something doesn't look quite right in the first picture.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Yeah, all the needles are there. The other side is wide open so you can see better. All the pieces are accounted for.

Thanks for the compliment James :thumb:

Mike, my wife wants to see what the truck does now. We enjoy making bad decisions together lol. That said it will only take a couple months to pay everything off. I'm not a fan of debt and when things get tight like they are about to we tend to get extremely good at managing our money lol. We will be alright, we have been in tighter spots then this, but we manage to dust ourselves off and get back on track. My school fund is pretty much wiped out, but I'll make it to school this winter still. I appreciate you watching out for us though, definitely makes a guy stop and think.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Yeah, all the needles are there. The other side is wide open so you can see better. All the pieces are accounted for.

Mike, my wife wants to see what the truck does now. We enjoy making bad decisions together lol. That said it will only take a couple months to pay everything off. I'm not a fan of debt and when things get tight like they are about to we tend to get extremely good at managing our money lol. We will be alright, we have been in tighter spots then this, but we manage to dust ourselves off and get back on track. My school fund is pretty much wiped out, but I'll make it to school this winter still. I appreciate you watching out for us though, definitely makes a guy stop and think.

Thanks for not taking it 100% the wrong way, good luck at the races...:thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

If the needles are still in the cage; how did the pinion gear on the planet chip? The broken race did not do that. What am I missing?

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Could they have put the needles back into the bearing? I'll look over the pieces again. Pretty sure when they dropped the pan they said they found pieces of the bearing, I would think that included needles. I'll definitely re-examine when I stop in there today. It's very possible I missed something as I ran in and out.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I think what Mike is saying is, how could they have found needles in the pan if they weren't missing from the bearing?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Not true. Mine went great. Still running strong today

Mine too.

How many have you both built? I'm speaking for those who have done a lot of trans. Nothing goes smooth 100% of the time no matter how awesome you are.

So it's at the shop now. There talking about just taking the tail housing off and if there's a bearing toasted as long as it hasn't gone through the planetarys just replace it and slap the housing back on. If it has then they will tear the whole trans down and check it all. But at this point they are just leaving the tranny in the truck.

It's got me nervous, because I thought that was a nono...

It can be done but I wouldn't do it. Too much room for error, good shop would just pull the trans as it does not take very much time and has little risk of error, much nicer to work on as well. Gravity works with you with trans out, and against you with trans in. I've never tried it but know some guys who were too stubborn and did, they got fed up/didnt feel comfortable when things were going together and pulled it anyways. I do know some who were successful, but most just prefer to pull it and be safe.

There isn't anyone else. This was the most recommended shop. This is just turning into a nightmare.

Do it yourself, have them pull trans and roll truck outside while you go back through trans. You've done it once already, sounds like this shop may not be any more capable than yourself.

So I put the bearing on the 3rd sungear on upside down :facepalm:

Took out the planetary's, the large sungear in the c3's, the intermediate or output shaft and the bearing. Should have it back tomorrow once I scrounge up the funds for the repair bill.

Lesson learned, I hate torringtons. And the picture is so clear, we quadrupal checked that bearing before I closed it up even.

Do you need a source for good used stock parts?

DaJokr, after the financial debacle you have put the wife and yourself through you're going to actually take the risk at the track, just an observation and ya I know if your "gonna play your gonna pay" but damn the self inflicted wounds gotta stop somewhere......:thumb:

Why build a trans if you aren't going to go play, even if it goes over budget you built it for a reason. He's probably bummed out, the best cure for that is to go have some fun. Women never forget but they're going to hold anything over your head if they want their way, why suffer through life. Some support the racing part and would be mad if he didn't. I don't know anything about his position wife/kids/etc wise, but I would go race it. My wife keeps wanting me to get back into pulling, not all of them are against things. I wouldn't go into debt over things though, but as long as someone isn't hurting me or taking my money, I say go play all you want. It's good stress relief.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Everyone on here that has built them has messed one or two up or had something that caused one to not work perfect. It happens. My first one cracked the extension housing. Didn't have P2 ring seated in the last C4 friction and bent that to shit.

The bearings were hammered into my head from the get go about having them perfect with the stories of people having issues. Triple checked them with the book every time. Still times you miss things though.

You learned something and had fun doing it, plus it was on your own truck. Don't feel bad, just remember there are people out there charging others to do their trans, screwing them up then saying "tough chit". You aren't screwing anyone, so lifes good.

Reread your original post. It does not say anyone that's built 100-200. I'm just making a point that people HAVE successfully had luck rebuilding there own trans. I don't want others to read this and think there is no hope.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I think what Mike is saying is, how could they have found needles in the pan if they weren't missing from the bearing?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Exactly.
That pinion tooth on the planet was damaged by a needle, not the race. From what I saw they were still in the cage.
I have seen torringtons installed incorrectly and if the needles stay in the cage, the planet body might see some damage, but not the teeth.
Just sayin.:D

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Well I picked it up. Just the shell was in the pan, no needles were missing from the cage. I looked at them before we installed them and didn't notice them, but it's possible it was pre existing I guess?

At any rate I'm happy to have it back. If it fails again I'll be dropping cash on a beater car and tearing it apart again myself. I may be cheap, but I'm sure I'll do a better job with the help of the forum then any local shop.

Now to get the trans shifting smooth again lol

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I had a 1057 and when it was new it coupled hard, it seemed to smooth out allot after beating on it a little. You know kind of like women lol.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Lol. I just wanted to make sure it was "normal". The stock clutch was plush in comparison, but I guess that's the difference between a single and a driple disk. It feels like a "lunge" when it locks up. Sound right? I just hate the thought that I could have been damaged from the bearing. Since it didn't go smooth, every little bump and flare has me scared. I don't fully trust it on my work commute right now (about 200km one way), but I need to use it to break it in and make sure it is fixed.

Wife would like to drive down to Vegas at some point. If we do I told her we are making a trip to see Mike. I'll be getting him to do a refresh on the trans. I told everyone it was hard to get someone competent to work on an allison around here, if someone wants a build done around here and doesn't want to tackle it themselves, I suggest getting a crate. Pretty hard to screw a trans swap up.

Last edited:

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
my 1058 locks pretty smooth now. It is a firm lock, but not at all uncomfortable.

At first it was scary how hard it locked. I bet it will smooth out with some more miles.