LBZ: Trans build prep

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Can't tell you guys how ansy I am to get this done. Wife had surgery this weekend, so was probably a good thing my dad was out of town. So, 2 weeks, I plan on dropping and building. Hopefully all goes well. Mike, I suspect I'll be phoning you, but hopefully I won't have to bother you so you can enjoy your weekend as well:hug:

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I'll try not to bother you unless I'm stumped. And if I screw it up I'll just burn it so I don't bother you at all, sound fair?:angel:

Couple pics coming up. And I think I'll do a documentary and post it in my build thread on DF, from tear out to the fiery aftermath of amateur rebuilding.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013

Probably the dumbest thing I may do on my own. 36* in the shade! I'm gonna die. Aiming for same day in and out, but I'll be happy to get it pulled and rebuilt tomorrow with a Wednesday morning install. Local shop is gonna do the relearn with there tech 2 for me, nice guys huh?

Jared, if your reading this, have Dusty ready :D Puh-WEEEEEZE!

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Still trying to get it out. Having a hard time breaking the bolts loose on the torque converter. Everything is unplugged except the main connector behind the pan. Just getting the lines off it. Maybe in a couple hours ill be ready to drop it.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
15mm swivel head, 30" extension and a breaker bar. We just finished getting them out. Just need to unbolt the tcase from the trans and finish pulling small lines off.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Great news! Was it you in another thread saying you were going to have your dad film your build? I and others thinking of building their own Allison are watching! :hello:

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I have my gopro with me, so I'll try to record as much as I can. Only lasts 3 hours on 1 battery, but I'll be trying. At the very least I'll have pictures lol.

Once I get started though I tend to get over focused and forget things happening around me, so hopefully my dad is on the ball. A vid might have a lot of cut scenes lol

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I just wanna say unless you have access to a hoist and (at a minimum) air tools, it really sucks pulling it all out caveman style.

Had to call poor Mike today with what had to be the dumbest of questions. I bet he's just waiting for me to wreck it now lol. Sorry to have bugged ya Mike, I felt pretty silly.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I keep getting caught up in ATF and can't grab the camera lol. The input drum is a pain in the ass already to push everything down enough to get the snap rings on. Dad just went to get a new compressor. His is dead and we need it.

About now Mike, I bet your dreading a call from me when I get it all installed. Honestly hoping that even though we are doing this like cavemen that it works right in the end. If I have royally screwed anything up when it goes back together I'm just gonna cry.

It's definitely not a weekend warrior job. Probably won't have the trans put back together 100% today, I'm guessing Saturday and Sunday to put it all back in the truck even. I've lost my optimism, but I'm hoping that the time it is taking us to double check and reference things means it will at least move when all is said and done.

Shoulda just drove to Fullerton.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Notice on the C3 steel plate how there are very few heat marks in the open tooth section. This shows you how much deflection is occurring on apply. The burn marks are always between the open spaces.