Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Squats and bench today. Not going to lie I wasn't looking forward to this one lol. 12 hours at work and the gnarliest work out I have done to date since tweaking my back a couple months ago.

Squats
290x1x10
290x2x8
320x1x5
320x6

Bench
260x3x8
275x1x6
275x4x4

Back is tender but feeling pretty good, I have been stretching and rolling the crap out of my back before and after each workout. Ice and a tens unit at night, massage once a month. Also training 6-7 days a week at 40 years old haha. I figured out I have no talent so I have to just out work my competition:D

If I can stay in one piece my numbers on feb 20th should be somewhere around these... I'm super excited to finish this training cycle and see what my numbers ended at. I really feel like this is the program I have been looking for to take me to the next level. You have to believe in your training to succeed with big weights.
440 squat
365 bench
540 dead
1300+ total

Last edited:

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Deads yesteday, reset the program, so back to week 1. :mad:

4x4x425
2x495
4x425

Managed to slice my pinkie open on something at the gym so after every set was a nice puddle.:rofl:

Finished up with 4 sets of 15 on decline abs and did 2 more sets with a 25lb plate on my chest. Finally seeing progress in that area.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Trying to get back into the gym in the mornings. Went in a little later than I hoped to and hit chest pretty hard while I had time. I'm to lazy now to type it all in.. But it was hard to drive the one mile to work Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Drove to denver to get my son from the airport. Determined my back was fine until I sat in a car for 10 hours. Now I feel like total shit yet again. Over this back pain that's for sure

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Starting back up today! Hopefully kill shoulders. Had a two week break do to the surgery. Hopefully I go back in stronger! Don't look any smaller hahaha.

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
So, still working through the back issue, but I think it is on track to let me start doing some squats and deads in the next couple weeks.

Current issue is tennis elbow. Solid day of arms a couple weeks ago, and it's back with a vengeance. Two weeks out it still hurts to shake someone's hand. Any tips or tricks to help the healing process along?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
So, still working through the back issue, but I think it is on track to let me start doing some squats and deads in the next couple weeks.

Current issue is tennis elbow. Solid day of arms a couple weeks ago, and it's back with a vengeance. Two weeks out it still hurts to shake someone's hand. Any tips or tricks to help the healing process along?
Glad the back is feeling better. Anything in particular that made the difference or just rest?

I have moderate Golfers elbow (same as tennis elbow just on the inside of the elbow joint) Stretching the forearms can help some. I stopped doing the exercises that aggravated it the most until it subsided, pullups for me. I figured out that I was really torqueing my forearms causing my legs to swing forward, adjusted my form to strict pullups straight up and down with no leg swing, golfers elbow calmed the F down. It will flare some from heavy benching but nothing I can't work through.

Do you know what exercise seems to make it flare up?

I also use arm bands to keep tension on the tendons in the elbow, seems to help. If you buy some order them on the tight side, tighter the better.
http://www.howmuchyabench.net/compression-cuff-2

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Just an fyi. Not that it's the case for everyone obviously but the neurologist I saw about my back said if you can avoid baseball, softball, golfing to do it. He was telling me the twisting motion from the swing puts alot of twist into spine and when your tighten up the torque is what aggrivates the back issues I for one have. Food for thought I guess.

Albert how did you adjust your pull up form as when I did mine I got the swinging back and forth crap. Not sure how to keep it from happening when I finally do get back to working out

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Just an fyi. Not that it's the case for everyone obviously but the neurologist I saw about my back said if you can avoid baseball, softball, golfing to do it. He was telling me the twisting motion from the swing puts alot of twist into spine and when your tighten up the torque is what aggrivates the back issues I for one have. Food for thought I guess.

Albert how did you adjust your pull up form as when I did mine I got the swinging back and forth crap. Not sure how to keep it from happening when I finally do get back to working out

I used straps at first Brock, that way I wasn't relying solely on my grip and forearms. I could just focus on pulling straight up and down and not swinging my feet and torqueing my wrists. Once I got stronger I took the straps off and low and behold I could do ultra strict pull ups with little to no sway. Another trick is to stop before you get fatigued and head over to the lat pull down machine. Use a lighter weight that you can handle and bump it up each week until your doing your BW or more, pull ups will be no problem then.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Never even thought about that. I get maybe 6-8 pull ups total. I'll give that a shot when I start back up

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Trying to get back into the gym in the mornings. Went in a little later than I hoped to and hit chest pretty hard while I had time. I'm to lazy now to type it all in.. But it was hard to drive the one mile to work Haha

Drinking a beer relaxing so I figure I'll update what I did this morning. Only had about 45 min before I had to leave for work. Still feel I had a pretty decent chest sesh..

Flat bench.
135x 12
185x10
225x3x5
245x5
265x3x4
225x3x5

Dumb bell flys between the last sets of 225
35x10
40x10
45x8 was smoked

Incline Dumbbells wanted flys after but I ran outta time

65x10
75x10
80x8

Went back at lunch and did about 15 sets of 10-12 on different core exercises.

Really need to work on my diet and protein intake again.

Weighing in at 194, would like to clean up to 185 without loosing size..

For the non instagram peeps here's me and my boy on Christmas Eve.
fcffc390f9479b6af0870592ed34f3ff.jpg

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
Glad the back is feeling better. Anything in particular that made the difference or just rest?

I have moderate Golfers elbow (same as tennis elbow just on the inside of the elbow joint) Stretching the forearms can help some. I stopped doing the exercises that aggravated it the most until it subsided, pullups for me. I figured out that I was really torqueing my forearms causing my legs to swing forward, adjusted my form to strict pullups straight up and down with no leg swing, golfers elbow calmed the F down. It will flare some from heavy benching but nothing I can't work through.

Do you know what exercise seems to make it flare up?

I also use arm bands to keep tension on the tendons in the elbow, seems to help. If you buy some order them on the tight side, tighter the better.
http://www.howmuchyabench.net/compression-cuff-2

Seems any lifting that requires a lot of grip will cause it to flare. Heavy biceps and tricep work mostly. I can usually deal with it, but it's bad enough that if I leave my arm in one position to long, it hurts to extend or flex depending.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Seems any lifting that requires a lot of grip will cause it to flare. Heavy biceps and tricep work mostly. I can usually deal with it, but it's bad enough that if I leave my arm in one position to long, it hurts to extend or flex depending.

Hmm, that sounds pretty severe... I have used some stuff called voodoo floss, that has helped when it's really flared up. I can't link youtube stuff at work but if you search Kelly Starrett "hot elbow, golfers elbow, tennis elbow" on you tube it will pull up voodoo floss. Give it a try.

Have you tried a deep tissue massage in your elbow/forearm area?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Bench and deads tonight

Bench
240x2x10
260x2x8
300x3x3.5 Sucks! first couple reps felt like nothing, then wham hit a wall on the 4th rep. I'm blaming the 12 hour days at work:D

Deads
315x2x10
350x2x8
375x2x8
375x2... Same thing on deads. Stupid job is getting in the way of my beast mode!:mad:

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
Hmm, that sounds pretty severe... I have used some stuff called voodoo floss, that has helped when it's really flared up. I can't link youtube stuff at work but if you search Kelly Starrett "hot elbow, golfers elbow, tennis elbow" on you tube it will pull up voodoo floss. Give it a try.

Have you tried a deep tissue massage in your elbow/forearm area?

Definitely the worst it has ever bothered me. I will look that up and see what I can do. The massage thing sounds super painful.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Look into Mobility WOD. $8 a month and there are videos related to fix anything wrong with your body. Kelly is the man

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Definitely the worst it has ever bothered me. I will look that up and see what I can do. The massage thing sounds super painful.

Pain yes... I have had a 110 pound women put me in a hurt locker:rofl: But it was so worth it, deep tissue is the bomb.

My coach is in Boise. I will ask him if he has anyone he recommends.