Sprayed the LLY again....

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But from what I've read, they work the best once you get them dialed in, I personally think the bilstien 5100's I have are too soft for racing, the rear of my truck squats like a gorilla with diarrhea and the front end lifts like crazy if my air bags are not pumped up to at least 25psi, 60-80psi in the bags and the truck only lifts a couple inches, if that, then I have to worry "other" traction issues, dialing everything in just right takes time and experience for sure, and everyone's truck will be just a tad bit different, so is each driver.

I have not been able to adjust the cal-tracs to eliminate or even tame the front lifting like others have claimed that they have been able to, it does seem like they do keep the rear wheels planted more firmly to the ground though and they absolutely eliminated axel wrap or "walk"

I'd like to get better shocks some day soon...

Is your truck lifted?

Stupid forum makes me spend money on new shocks :( haha. Just ordered rancho 9000's

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Is your truck lifted?

Stupid forum makes me spend money on new shocks :( haha. Just ordered rancho 9000's

Yes, yes it is.

I took the overloads out and replaced them with 2" DEAVER mini pack, I have the cal-tracs and the plates (thanks James) for lifted applications, the air bags, and my c/v angles are fine, I can even get them negative when I plan to do boosted launches, I take the adjustment bolts out.

I have been thinking about getting the rancho 9000 adjustables, I'm not sure if I can get QA1's for my lifted application, but I hear they make them special for custom applications. Pumping up the bags seems to help a ton, but the amount of air they need varies depending on conditions, I'm pretty happy with what I got goin on, it's just going to take some time to get it dialed in for track use, and I don't want to spend more money on suspension parts until I have a the engine built:angel:

$$$$$:eek: I don't even wanna know how much custom QA1's would run

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Yes, yes it is.

I took the overloads out and replaced them with 2" DEAVER mini pack, I have the cal-tracs and the plates (thanks James) for lifted applications, the air bags, and my c/v angles are fine, I can even get them negative when I plan to do boosted launches, I take the adjustment bolts out.

I have been thinking about getting the rancho 9000 adjustables, I'm not sure if I can get QA1's for my lifted application, but I hear they make them special for custom applications. Pumping up the bags seems to help a ton, but the amount of air they need varies depending on conditions, I'm pretty happy with what I got goin on, it's just going to take some time to get it dialed in for track use, and I don't want to spend more money on suspension parts until I have a the engine built:angel:

$$$$$:eek: I don't even wanna know how much custom QA1's would run

The double adjustable ones run for $200+ per shock. I figured for the money the ranchos would works great :)

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
The double adjustable ones run for $200+ per shock.

Is that for the off the shelf model for a stock d-max, I wonder if custom built stuff is much more, or if they offer them for lifted trucks too, no matter, I'm not looking right now anyways:eek:

That's not as bad as I would have expected, the set of double adjustable coilovers for my car (that I want) are $3500.00 for four shocks and some linear rate springs, but the kit comes with camber plates and adjustment tools too:D which makes the coilovers themselves appx. 2850, which is roughly 712.00 per corner:eek:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
the CVs dont cause the torque steer, the toe in from the horrible bumpsteer our trucks have is what causes the torque steer as well as one tire loosing traction, then gaining and swapping to the other tire.

hey watch it! :roflmao: :D

I was more so laughing at myself... My first and only pass on the built motor limped my Trans and barely beat my previous best on stock motor lol. But hey lets cross the 11s bridge together. You are hereby invited to the demon exercising party that will be held at the track!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I was more so laughing at myself... My first and only pass on the built motor limped my Trans and barely beat my previous best on stock motor lol. But hey lets cross the 11s bridge together. You are hereby invited to the demon exercising party that will be held at the track!

Yes!!

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

HEY, I wanna cross that bridge too:D wait for me bitches!

Haha, JK, maybe someday:(

I still need to get my first 1/4mi time slip, so far I've just been using race apps and gps:eek::eek::eek:

:spit:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I always knew you were a keyboard racer :spit:
:rofl:
:eek:

Haha, yeah, you got me there...for now
There's always more to a story though, and I'd be willing to bet that....

If you had a handicapped child that you cared for 24/7 you would be racing more keyboards than drag strips too:)

Last edited:

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
You will get there someday Jason! And maybe put a smile on your kids face by them riding with you on your first pass!

Reading thru someone said they are launching by rpm, sound of the turbo. With Danvilles 72 what are you guys leaving the line at? Rpm/boost? Anything higher than 10 psi I spin all four tires. I have cal trac's and rancho 9k out back and QA1 double adjustable up front set on the stiffest setting.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
You will get there someday Jason! And maybe put a smile on your kids face by them riding with you on your first pass!

Reading thru someone said they are launching by rpm, sound of the turbo. With Danvilles 72 what are you guys leaving the line at? Rpm/boost? Anything higher than 10 psi I spin all four tires. I have cal trac's and rancho 9k out back and QA1 double adjustable up front set on the stiffest setting.

Every truck is set up differently as far as turbo/converter/suspension. Gonna be hard to nail down a good solid plan that will work for everyone. The guys I learned from encouraged me to start slow baby steps. If you feel the truck isn't getting away from ya keep leaving at a higher RPM or PSI. Like Steve has found (and my results are similar) the whole launch at 20 psi thing don't work for me. However my launches are a little soft and next time I ain't holding back.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

:hug: thanks Tark
Just need a little more time, and a care giver I can trust with my little girl who can't talk...then it's on like donkey kong, lol

She does love the torque tho:woott: she's my girl fer sure, daddy's little racer:D

Sounds like you need some slicks man:thumb: just do it

Just a thought here...if you have the shocks set on the stiffest setting, won't they be too stiff? Allowing the tire to just break loose, rather than absorb some of the initial force to allow the tires to "set" and grab, if the shocks were a little softer...:confused:

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
My truck does launch straight so I will go up in psi. Me and josh h discussed this also and I will turn the front down a little and reset the cal trac's.