Sprayed the LLY again....

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
It's not nerves, when I first started racing I would get jittery, think about forgetting to put in 4wd, click my log button, get yelled at for turning off the track at the wrong spot, etc. but that has all long come and gone at this point.

When I'm focusing on running my best time I will sit at the line after the green is lit and the other car is gone, getting the truck to leave at the perfect time and focusing on starting the spray at the proper time.

I have a few ideas to try out that involve keeping my front end down. As you know I run the cognito lift with the key bolts out all the time. This makes my front end very floaty and soft, and when I launch hard it lifts too high and puts angle on my CVs, causing bad torque steer.

Before my next trip to the strip I will have some kind of limiting strap set up, and I think that it will make a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I would let a capable and trusted person drag my truck before I ever let them on the street with it:D

You wouldn't though...Why, worried about breakage, or pride?
If the truck is put together well enough it won't matter who drives it:rolleyes: unless it's a matter of not wanting to be shown up as a driver.

Ehh, kinda...

It wouldn't want someone else to drive my truck because of the potential to break it. Yes my truck is "built" for the strip but so many factors play into anything can go wrong. Including thousands of dollars of repairs. I would feel bad if i melted a cylinder in a friends truck... Even with their permission.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Also, I'm running 20x9 wheels on a -12 offset. They stick out pretty wide and thus have more leverage to toe in/out that say a stock set of py0 wheels would. That's another thing for me to try out.

Sent from my iPhone.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Steve it could be worse.... You could have a built motor, 60s, twins, and dual fuelers and still not have an 11 lmao!

I think you and I need to go racing in Tuscon and exercise these demons. No more messing around.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Shifting at 3500-3700 rpm, depending on the shift. I shift a little higher 1-2 and 2-3 to keep on top of the charger.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
This makes my front end very floaty and soft, and when I launch hard it lifts too high and puts angle on my CVs, causing bad torque steer.

Before my next trip to the strip I will have some kind of limiting strap set up, and I think that it will make a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone.

the CVs dont cause the torque steer, the toe in from the horrible bumpsteer our trucks have is what causes the torque steer as well as one tire loosing traction, then gaining and swapping to the other tire.

Steve it could be worse.... You could have a built motor, 60s, twins, and dual fuelers and still not have an 11 lmao!

hey watch it! :roflmao: :D

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
the CVs dont cause the torque steer, the toe in from the horrible bumpsteer our trucks have is what causes the torque steer as well as one tire loosing traction, then gaining and swapping to the other tire.

hey watch it! :roflmao: :D

James, what's the best solution for the bump steer issues we suffer from?

Thanks...

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I haven't had an issue with bump steer, I believe lowered/fully braces front end will definitely minimize it. I had the cognito braces and saw this pic and wasn't happy with my toe in angles with the cognito braces so I sold those and bought an allseasons brace, it seems to hook up better on the street but I won't be able to get real 60' results until this weekend.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380661427.635613.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380661427.635613.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380661427.635613.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 84

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, what's the best solution for the bump steer issues we suffer from?

Thanks...

there isnt one. without a complete redesign of the susension and steering, you will never be able to fully dismiss it. the only thing you can do it try to work with it. certain lifts are better than others due to knuckle design and how/where they place the tie rod attachment point like cognito, fabtech old style knuckles suck.

the best you can do is come to the line with some toe out to begin with (not a lot) in anticipation of the front end raising and the flex given in suspension/steering parts, then have your suspension set so the front end doesnt sky rocket right out of the hole. this is why some guys that strap their front ends get better 60s than guys that dont but its usually due to poor shock/valving choice for drag racing. straps are a band aid and yes, i use to use them cause my front shocks sucked. im not sure how the coilovers will do though as i didnt have them add any more rebound than they normally do. it helps that i dont have such a high spring rate torsion bar in the truck any more as well.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
the CVs dont cause the torque steer, the toe in from the horrible bumpsteer our trucks have is what causes the torque steer... :D

I haven't had an issue with bump steer, I believe lowered/fully braces front end will definitely minimize it. I had the cognito braces and saw this pic and wasn't happy with my toe in angles with the cognito braces so I sold those and bought an allseasons brace, it seems to hook up better on the street but I won't be able to get real 60' results until this weekend.

So your name is James too?
Seems like you are suffering from the toe in he was describing, although, from the pic, it looks like the toe in you have is from the front end lifting, drooping out the front suspension travel, at which point no matter what kind of braces you have on there, there will be toe in. What kind of shocks are you running and what are you doing to combat weight transfer?

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
there isnt one. without a complete redesign of the susension and steering, you will never be able to fully dismiss it. the only thing you can do it try to work with it. certain lifts are better than others due to knuckle design and how/where they place the tie rod attachment point like cognito, fabtech old style knuckles suck.

the best you can do is come to the line with some toe out to begin with (not a lot) in anticipation of the front end raising and the flex given in suspension/steering parts, then have your suspension set so the front end doesnt sky rocket right out of the hole. this is why some guys that strap their front ends get better 60s than guys that dont but its usually due to poor shock/valving choice for drag racing. straps are a band aid and yes, i use to use them cause my front shocks sucked. im not sure how the coilovers will do though as i didnt have them add any more rebound than they normally do. it helps that i dont have such a high spring rate torsion bar in the truck any more as well.

Thanks James for the well rounded and informative response:hug:
:thumb:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
QA1 double adjustable fronts ftw

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But from what I've read, they work the best once you get them dialed in, I personally think the bilstien 5100's I have are too soft for racing, the rear of my truck squats like a gorilla with diarrhea and the front end lifts like crazy if my air bags are not pumped up to at least 25psi, 60-80psi in the bags and the truck only lifts a couple inches, if that, then I have to worry "other" traction issues, dialing everything in just right takes time and experience for sure, and everyone's truck will be just a tad bit different, so is each driver.

I have not been able to adjust the cal-tracs to eliminate or even tame the front lifting like others have claimed that they have been able to, it does seem like they do keep the rear wheels planted more firmly to the ground though and they absolutely eliminated axel wrap or "walk"

I'd like to get better shocks some day soon...