LBZ: Rods So many choices

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
you guys are all insane. Didnt we already try the "budget rod alternative to crower/carillio" thing? What happend there?

good luck finding testers for that one. :rolleyes:

ben

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
you guys are all insane. Didnt we already try the "budget rod alternative to crower/carillio" thing? What happend there?

ben

So are you saying because you bought rods off of some dude who doesn't build them for a living and really had no idea how to build them, and you got burned, that means no one else should bother trying new stuff - even ones built buy a reputable company that builds high performance rods for various applications?

Come on Ben.......

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

ben

I had always wondered why they were made from 4140 steel when everyone else used 4340. Just seemed a bit odd to me, yet nobody ever said anything about it, not even nwpadmax.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
4140 is good steel. Way better than what we have stock.....BUT it is to be heat treated properly, or it will crack easily.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Ben,

Probably should have sent them to the dealer and had him personally heat-cycle them at 99.0 F

I'm pretty sure that is the correct reading for a rectal thermometer... ;)

bfletcher

Oct 10, 2009
Stock LBZ rod with cap, bolts and upper bushing and lower rod bearings, 1253 grams .

Last edited:

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
Alright, we have decided to make some rods..:D

I need to know a few more things however.

Max boost.

Max Trq

Max RPM

Max piston weight.

I may have more questions however at least the boss is interested, I also showed him Pat's creation Casper..:thumb:

John