LBZ: Rods So many choices

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
It's more a torque limit on the rods than a HP limit, IMO.

:yup:

John,

For your rod design, perhaps need to start thinking in terms of torque or cylinder pressure rather than HP.

HP is just the rate that we apply that force we call torque.

Next, think in terms of a piston/pin/ring assembly on the end of your rod that weighs 1300+ grams. :eek: and tell him you want to run it to 6,000 rpm.

Please have a camera ready to snap a pic the Engineers face, it will be priceless. :rofl:

Hope this helps,

Guy

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Good point Guy. That is definetly the trick to these engines. Normally high torque engines with our displacement don't rev that fast. In some applications, we are almost doubling the stock torque, hp, and rpm that these engines were designed to run!!

John Noonan, I'm up for trying a set of your rods if they come to market providing the cost is reasonable. With Sweetdiesel's truck, he went with a rod made by cunningham that few others are using and so far the results have been good so Crowers/Carrillio's aren't the Be all End all. There is room for more maufacturers to get into the game.

Last edited:

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
:yup:

John,

For your rod design, perhaps need to start thinking in terms of torque or cylinder pressure rather than HP.

HP is just the rate that we apply that force we call torque.

Next, think in terms of a piston/pin/ring assembly on the end of your rod that weighs 1300+ grams. :eek: and tell him you want to run it to 6,000 rpm.

Please have a camera ready to snap a pic the Engineers face, it will be priceless. :rofl:

Hope this helps,

Guy

Guy,

Actually in the design testing software you have to input several things, bore, stroke, rod length, egt, KSI, materials, duration, life cycle, RPM, Rod to strike ratio, Rod angle to block at BDC and TDC. There are several other factors that go in to this before you can expect to "get close" however the program is useless without having the correct data inserted in to it otherwise like the old saying "trash in trash out"

Most aftermarket manufacturers simply C.A.S.E. when designing a part for sale rather than design from a clean sheet. However when having to design a component around an existing design with regards to fitment and already completed sizes often parts designed by different companies look similar.

John

PS.

It stands for Copy And Steal Everything"

J

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Actually I want to see aftermarket rods along with the various OEM rods to have the engineer look at them and see what he thinks would need to be done for when we make aftermarket rods.
I can send you an aftermarket rod that is weaker than stock if you want to see it.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
IIRC, 3 shops made Crower clones. Two failed, one is good. Don't want to get into brand-name wars though.

Seems metallurgy and processing is critical, but I dunno, I'm a Part Breaker not Part Maker.

Isn't that a Pat Benetar song? :confused:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Something I would never post on an LSR board...

If you want to set records in a car at El Mirage, and you are in a class that allow push-starting:

You can set a Dmax 4x4 up to accelerate a 15,000lb load to 60 mph in less than 1/8th mile. Did that at LACR. I figure you can push a 6,000lb car up to 100+ mph in the same distance on a dry lake. Something to think about...;)

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I think and one of the benefits of the stock rods strength on the Big End is the cracked cap design as it will not allow the rod move around, the bad side is that they cannot be re sized either.
John

Sorry for my ignorance on this subject as I've never had the pleasure of checking out a Duramax connecting rod... When you said cracked cap rod, is that the same thing as a fractured rod??