LMM: Questions on motor removal

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
door jamb 3 on the core suport two for the hood bracket on middle of fender and on on the bottom of fender. and tht should do it :)

White Duramax

Jun 25, 2008
ohio
For taking the converter bolts in and out, I found it was much easier to use a 3/8 impact and short extension and slide it in where the starter would be. With the wheel well liner taken out of course.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
We used just one chain, one at the front where you mentioned and one in the back by where the EGR cooler is iirc. If you look at Henry's pictures, we did it pretty much the same.

Heres the pics
DSCF5775.jpg

DSCF5777.jpg

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
We pull the passenger side fender, hood, and radiator support - it makes it much easier to get in and work on everything else and doesn't take long at all.

White Duramax: what kind of torque is your 3/8 impact capable of? Straight through the front is pretty easy.

TIMTHECARMAN2004

Block Hole Maker
Sep 23, 2007
Gonna start this thread as a reference for others who are pulling their motor and come upon a roadblock. Here... Ill start :D

LMM: Does a fender have to come off to remove the core support?

How do you get the fan off the front of the motor?

No on the fender removal. I have a couple of pics of teardown that might help. On the fan, I always use an 1 7/8 wrench. Take the 3 bolts out of the shroud on the front of the motor. this will allow it to come forward. Put the wrench on the nut and with a downward and counterclockwise force hit the wrench. This is how I do it, it may or may not be correct.

The front grill pieces and stuff comes off really easy. I think almost easier than earlier models. Now when pulling the headlights, make sure that you take the bolts out of the headlights to the inner side of the bumper area....

Good luck:)

White Duramax

Jun 25, 2008
ohio
We pull the passenger side fender, hood, and radiator support - it makes it much easier to get in and work on everything else and doesn't take long at all.

White Duramax: what kind of torque is your 3/8 impact capable of? Straight through the front is pretty easy.

Snap On 3/8 I think its 280 ft/lbs but I think thats reverse only. I was going through the front but tried through the side and was much easier to line up.