LMM: Questions on motor removal

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Jack one side up, put board under body and frame, then lift the other side. I wouldn't do one side only

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, have you pulled the motor with the harness, EGR, and everything on still? I'm not really wanting to pull any of that off if I can leave it on but looks like it'd be hard to do.

yup. use an engine hoist leveler, makes it easier to tilt the engine around as you are pulling it out.

i pull the front end apart, leave the bumper, pull the fan for shits and giggles (it can stay on if you want), undo the fuel lines quick disconnects at the engine and pull the two mouting tabs (one on valve cover, other on bell housing), get the rad hoses out of the way, drop trans lines down at the front of the engine, pull the ground wires and start wire off the block at the bottom, pull the power steering pump off at the bracket and bungy off to the side, yank the intake out of the way and intercooler tubing, undo the bail connectors for the engine harness and pull the truck harness off to the side, pull the starter and flex plate bolts, bell housing bolts, engine mount 3 bolts on the frame, and we have lift off.

might be a couple small things i missed but i generally leave everything on i can. so much easier to undo it all on the engine stand and put it back on. then it just drops in. when i do a drop in, its real issue to do a quick test fire to make sure all is well before a full button up. ill bolt the engine down with a bolt on each side, throw a couple bell housing bolts in, throw the TC bolts in, hook starter and grounds up, bail connectors, jump the trans lines together, hook fuel lines up and light it off for a quick check on leaks, oil pressure and fuel pressure. if all is good, put her together enough to fill with coolant and look for leaks, then finish install. leaks always seem to pop up so i do bare min to check for those first to keep from making a mess to fix it.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Good deal, I have the fender, rad support and big dumb bumper off, all the wiring to pass side is off and tied up, motor mounts are loose, fixing to jack up cab and take bell housing bolts out. Gonna lift with my tractor.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Old egr bracket works good otherwise I have a tab I bolt back there using two bolt holes off the head