LMM: Questions on motor removal

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Dont know about NBS bodywork issues, But all the OBS engines I've ever seen Merchant pull, he only takes that top bar off the core support, the rest is left alone. Is the NBS core a one-piece design?

For the fan, you should be able to have a buddy tighten the fanbelt at the tensioner, and that should give you enough hold to break the fan loose with a pipewrench (or large openend wrench). If you're using an air chisel, just touch the nut with the chisel. Dont try to force it.
Looking at engine from front of truck, you loosen to the pass side (left).

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Are you sure about that? I swear, looking at those pics again, the top beam sure looks like its a separate piece. On the OBS, there are two (three?) bolts per side that hold it to the core support. Your core support has the same flanges on both sides that are used to align the beam as an OBS truck. The bolts are located where the holes (or are those rivets?) are in the top beam on your pics.

I cant believe that GM would use two different core supports depending on the model of the truck.

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
How hard are the fenders on the OBS trucks to get off? I had some body work done and need to adjust them and dont have the slightest clue how.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
From above:
DSC06351.jpg

Below:
DSC06352.jpg

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Ya I dont think Ill need to take the fender off.... Its ready to come off besides 2 bolts in the doorjam and the hood hinge. I havent taken the hood off yet - wonder if I will have to? Probably to clear the arm of the cherry picker.

My moms coming over to my house in a bit... I gotta close the hood and rest the grille back in place and everything will look A OK :rofl:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
No, you wont need to take the fender off. The core support should be a big, open hole after you unbolt that top beam.

As for the hood, does your hood have an extra hole and/or hook next to the hinges like in the pic of mine? If so, I remember Merchant telling me that you move the hinges to the other holes or hooks to hold the hood straight up for service. You'll have to experiment to see which ones hold the hood straight up. I'm pretty sure its the hooks, but am not completely sure. Just have to test carefully. Have a friend help. Watch your windshield.

Dont lie to Mom....bad things happen if you do....as she'll ALWAYS find out. Moms have that talent...better than police...its scary.

Last edited: