Info: Quad Turbo Update

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
.065" wall will hold 100 psi and 2000 in my experience, but it depends on what ends are used and where. 304 ss btw

What point are we trying to make? His headers are .120" wall so I'm going to assume they'd never be an issue

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
.065" wall will hold 100 psi and 2000 in my experience, but it depends on what ends are used and where. 304 ss btw

What point are we trying to make? His headers are .120" wall so I'm going to assume they'd never be an issue

I wasn't trying to make any point...Was only wondering if it would hold that pressure at temperature, that's all. According to your post above, it will.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
The first intake setup that he built for Dirty Max came apart like a cheap beer can. They ended up doubling it up in places. Cracked at the welds as I remember.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
The first intake setup that he built for Dirty Max came apart like a cheap beer can. They ended up doubling it up in places. Cracked at the welds as I remember.

I would imagine him making no less than 120psi. But the welds looked great. How much boost was Dirty Max making?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Not to come off like a total jackass in this thread, but good looking welds and weldment integrity are two different things. Only reason I say that, is we had some growing pains with our vessels where some failed X-ray for inclusion (not completely tying both together) but they looked great on the outside. Not saying that's the case here at all. Nobody knows that. I'm just saying aluminum can be very unforgiving and humbling.

Now back on topic, when is this going to be done:D

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Not to come off like a total jackass in this thread, but good looking welds and weldment integrity are two different things. Only reason I say that, is we had some growing pains with our vessels where some failed X-ray for inclusion (not completely tying both together) but they looked great on the outside. Not saying that's the case here at all. Nobody knows that. I'm just saying aluminum can be very unforgiving and humbling.

Now back on topic, when is this going to be done:D

Thats a given for me. I have seen pure bird shit pass xray on stainless and aluminum. Carbon steel is less that way "most times" if the bead is uniformed and u see good adhiesion on all part around the edges and no excessive suck back past the root its gonna be good go.

We are doing 6g alum tig now at work. Im waiting till im assured a position here welding before hand.

And wolf u knew that this was gonna cause a derail:angel:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I wish you machinist/welders would start a thread talking about the technical side of this stuff. Showing what you're working on, etc. Kinda like the weight lifting thread or a "what are you working on now" kinda thread. I know diddly about it but often times wish I had learned the machining/welding trade rather than civil engineering. It just seems fascinating to me. :thumb:

Just a suggestion. :D

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
I'm a welder by trade and often thought, maybe I should have been an engineer lol. But then again I didn't choose welding, welding chose me. On a serious not I have seen a thread about different filler materials, processes and such on here. I believe it's in the DIY section.

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
I was a GM tech first, then a production and fab shop welder, then went to engineering school. Now I work in a Boeing production facility and spend my day figuring out how to fix all the **** ups in the shop when we are building airplanes, then I come home at night and build Duramaxes and fab parts. Not all engineers are bad, you just have to find ones that actually worked with their hands first. Like us farm kids that went to engineering school. Haha.

Some days I wish I still welded for a living.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
When you have a good engineer and a good machinist working together, a lot gets accomplished.^

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I wish you machinist/welders would start a thread talking about the technical side of this stuff. Showing what you're working on, etc. Kinda like the weight lifting thread or a "what are you working on now" kinda thread. I know diddly about it but often times wish I had learned the machining/welding trade rather than civil engineering. It just seems fascinating to me. :thumb:

Just a suggestion. :D

I wouldnt be entertaining at all really. Its mostly repair of abused worn or poorly engineered parts on equipment in my off time. Around work its mostly just trying to keep a 70 year old factory building errect.

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
I was a GM tech first, then a production and fab shop welder, then went to engineering school. Now I work in a Boeing production facility and spend my day figuring out how to fix all the **** ups in the shop when we are building airplanes, then I come home at night and build Duramaxes and fab parts. Not all engineers are bad, you just have to find ones that actually worked with their hands first. Like us farm kids that went to engineering school. Haha.

Some days I wish I still welded for a living.
You hit the mail on the head. Most engineers I worked with have never worked in a trade. You can spot then because they have the most ass backwards thinking and designs and common sense seems to escape them. On the other hand an engineer who has worked in a trade of some sort and has had hands on the tools usually make great engineers. I belive if you ate going to be an engineer you should have at least 2 years in the respective trade so you have some knowledge of your craft. Same with QC and weld inspectors. I work with them daily and just by liking at a weld map or a set of drawings you can usually tell the level of experience that engineer has in the field.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
You hit the mail on the head. Most engineers I worked with have never worked in a trade. You can spot then because they have the most ass backwards thinking and designs and common sense seems to escape them. On the other hand an engineer who has worked in a trade of some sort and has had hands on the tools usually make great engineers. I belive if you ate going to be an engineer you should have at least 2 years in the respective trade so you have some knowledge of your craft. Same with QC and weld inspectors. I work with them daily and just by liking at a weld map or a set of drawings you can usually tell the level of experience that engineer has in the field.

Now there is a much better view of engineers than just saying all of them are short bus window lickers. :thumb:

Before I had much field experience, I can promise I drew some shit on a paper that couldn't be built in the field. I'd like to think I have a decent grasp on that aspect of it now. Some field experience is very important to helping an engineer fully grasp his trade, IMO. I know it helped me far more than anything I saw in a textbook in school - but I'm in a relatively niche sector - solid waste. ;)