PPE Kit

DuramaxTireSmoker

Jun 8, 2010
SW Florida
I take back what I said earlier. I'm not looking for the cheapest kit, I'm looking for the best-bang-4thebuck.:hug: Dont wanna spend a couple hundred more when a different kit has the same ingredients for less:woott:

RichLMM

Sep 5, 2010
North Kingstown RI
Wow thread got a little long overnight! Since some of you are saying to peice together a kit, what do you think of Alligators? Call me tight, but I can't/ don't want to spend a dollar more than I have to. I doubt the truck will ever see anything beyond 550 rwhp.

i said "only 550rwhp" too when i had my trans done...not even 6 months later i had a cheetah on it...2 months after that dual fuelers and 60 overs..IMO have a respected trans builder do it for you...it may cost a few bucks more now but trust me in the long run and hearing horror stories it was money well spent the trans is one thing you DO NOT wanna cheap out on with suncoast down the road and george prolly 8 hrs north...you shouldn't be instaling a kit yourself...

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
i said "only 550rwhp" too when i had my trans done...not even 6 months later i had a cheetah on it...2 months after that dual fuelers and 60 overs..IMO have a respected trans builder do it for you...it may cost a few bucks more now but trust me in the long run and hearing horror stories it was money well spent the trans is one thing you DO NOT wanna cheap out on with suncoast down the road and george prolly 8 hrs north...you shouldn't be instaling a kit yourself...

Big dipper is east coast Mike Lovrich :D

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
No problem.:D

I'm sure it wasn't Mike, And thats fine if you did not want to put together or sell me a kit, all I asked for was a return phone call saying you could hook me up with some parts or not. I have never been a d!ck to you in any of our conversations on the phone or online so im not sure what the condensending I dont give a sh!t attitude is about:confused:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I understand and agree to a point with everyones posts in regards to having a professional AKA Mike, George, etc, build your transmission. I also understand the professionals in the field not wanting to hold every "do it your selfer's" hand after selling them parts. Not only is it time consuming but it is quite often not appreciated and or used against them later down the line. I (personally) learned the hard way theres no "CHEAP" way to correctly build a allison and it cost me atleast double the money on my 05.. My current build is not a performance build but more or less just a rebuild with the hope of using the best parts for the money on our shop/work truck.. I like doing things myself, I am not slamming anyone else or telling everyone else to do it them selves, its easy, those guys are over payed, ETC... Every one has to start some were and if this PPE stg 5 Is another one of those costly life lessons, then so be it.. Hopefully I will gain some knowledge and will be able to share what I have learned or were I failed here with everyone, After all that is what these forums are for isn't it?

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
I have a PPE 5 showing up today.. There is an Allison shop in PHX building the tranny wed.. Will be rolling by friday night if time permits to put it back in.. :happy2:

Then we'll see if i can bend a rod.... :mad:

Good luck with that, make sure you relearn the trans before you rip it out of your driveway and break it, then call your builder and blame it on them... :thumb:

See, this is what gets me every time.. Someone that is within distance of a GREAT builder, but decides to have someone in "the area" build it for them or do it themselves. Thats fine but wouldn't you rather spend the extra money and have someone do it RIGHT the first time? I like to say i'm pretty savvy when working on vehicles and don't let many people work on them, but also know when and where i should just leave it for the top dogs, hence why i let george build mine. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Good luck with that, make sure you relearn the trans before you rip it out of your driveway and break it, then call your builder and blame it on them... :thumb:

See, this is what gets me every time.. Someone that is within distance of a GREAT builder, but decides to have someone in "the area" build it for them or do it themselves. Thats fine but wouldn't you rather spend the extra money and have someone do it RIGHT the first time? I like to say i'm pretty savvy when working on vehicles and don't let many people work on them, but also know when and where i should just leave it for the top dogs, hence why i let george build mine. Hope this helps.

You are local to Ben, and didn't let him build yours. not dissing you, but you would've had a "done right" transmission from him too. I am friends with Ben, and he would've built mine had I asked him to, but I wanted to be stubborn and do it myself and work with George. I'm glad I did, I love how it shifts. Right out of the box with an 01 tcm, couldn't be happier with it on the street. Granted, I built mine over a year ago and it has sat waiting until I got it running... then driving just recently.

Maricopaagent

Glamis Anyone?
Oct 10, 2011
Arizona

So your saying the ALLISON repair shop who works on ALLISONS all day can't put one together? :confused:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Just because they repair allisons doesn't mean they build them for performance. As Mike and George can tell you, there are a lot of modifications that a repair shop would just not do or even comprehend because that's not their specialty. now, if you are friends with a tech and he wants to help you off the clock, and he has been around the 1000 series, he would probably be competent in installing a kit...maybe. I never got warm feelings talking to my local "allison shop" they have never been inside one nor are they allowed to. They have to fly a rep up from Baltimore.

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
You are local to Ben, and didn't let him build yours. not dissing you, but you would've had a "done right" transmission from him too. I am friends with Ben, and he would've built mine had I asked him to, but I wanted to be stubborn and do it myself and work with George. I'm glad I did, I love how it shifts. Right out of the box with an 01 tcm, couldn't be happier with it on the street. Granted, I built mine over a year ago and it has sat waiting until I got it running... then driving just recently.

Yes, i am local to him and have heard nothing but good things about ben. On the contrary i have many friends that have had amazing luck with george and have had not one complaint or hiccup with his work. I drove the distance because i KNEW i would come out of their happy, and not have any issues. I'm not worried about distance, but when it comes to quality work i know where to go for it, again not saying ben doesn't have quality work, but don't know of anyone that is running his transmisson, if i am mistaken he uses mikes and georges kits that they put together. :thumb:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Just because they repair allisons doesn't mean they build them for performance. As Mike and George can tell you, there are a lot of modifications that a repair shop would just not do or even comprehend because that's not their specialty. now, if you are friends with a tech and he wants to help you off the clock, and he has been around the 1000 series, he would probably be competent in installing a kit...maybe. I never got warm feelings talking to my local "allison shop" they have never been inside one nor are they allowed to. They have to fly a rep up from Baltimore.

X2, There are alot of transmission shops that can and have rebuilt 1000 series allisons but when it comes to performance builds there are not many that do it on a regular basis. If your going to pay someone to buid your transmission and are privy to the good ones, (George, Mike, Ben, Dustin, etc,etc) Its foolish to gamble with a unknown builder. What I dont understand is why it is thought by some, its foolish to build your own:confused: If your competent,,can read a ATSG manual and are willing to gamble on the risks/rewards of such a project, then more power to you IMO...

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
So your saying the ALLISON repair shop who works on ALLISONS all day can't put one together? :confused:

To my knowledge, i wouldn't let them touch it. They know how to put together a STOCK transmission, putting together something to hold high horsepower is a different scenario if you ask me, and im sure others will agree with me.

Last edited: