PPE Kit

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Thought Alligator was selling their own kits?

This is the Kit I recieved,,,,

ppekit.jpg

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
How do you discern the clearance measurement? When it is as tight as you can possibly get it?

Do you have a ATSG manual? It explains it better then I can through text, Or maybe Mike can chime in since I am far from a expert in building allisons and dont want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The Allison is easy guys. A cave man can do it. :D
Transmission parts do not always fit every trans. It is a way of life for us in this business. That is why they make thicker and thinner clutches. They always have, for years. They make spacers for gear train clearance if it is incorrect, which it is in 50% of the transmissions that I have worked on. They come that way from the factory.
Welcome to my world and quit bitching.
You guys seem to think that you can do everything a professional can do just by reading a tech manual that was written for a stock Allison and directions from someone who sells kits but has never seen the inside of an Allison. Lately I have been redoing a bunch of DIY transmissions and most of you guys should keep your day job. You spend a lot of money for this stuff. Does it make you guy proud of screwing the job just so you can say " I did it myself "
This is the reason I only sell kits to guys that can do them and know how to handle stuff. You will not find your answers on the forum from guys that have never done them, or guys that have screwed them up. The professionals will not tell you anything because it only teaches the new wannabe trans guys. Why in the hell would we want to do that?
Been there and done that. Never again.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Transmission parts do not always fit every trans. It is a way of life for us in this business. That is why they make thicker and thinner clutches. They always have, for years. They make spacers for gear train clearance if it is incorrect, which it is in 50% of the transmissions that I have worked on. They come that way from the factory.
You guys seem to think that you can do everything a professional can do just by reading a tech manual that was written for a stock Allison and directions from someone who sells kits but has never seen the inside of an Allison. Lately I have been redoing a bunch of DIY transmissions and most of you guys should keep your day job. You spend a lot of money for this stuff. Does it make you guy proud of screwing the job just so you can say " I did it myself "
This is the reason I only sell kits to guys that can do them and know how to handle stuff. You will not find your answers on the forum from guys that have never done them, or guys that have screwed them up. The professionals will not tell you anything because it only teaches the new wannabe trans guys. Why in the hell would we want to do that?

Who's bitching? I Have respect for your knowledge and dedication to the progression of the Allison. That said, There are a ton of "trade" secrets I dont know, won't ever know and dont care to know. I simply got a good deal on a kit, am mechanically inclined and wanted to give it a go. So far so good on the build and hopefully it stays that way. I am in no way claiming to know it all or even alot about these transmissions but when someone has questions on a DIY and the "REAL" people in the know dont want to respond, some knowledge/advice is better then non, IMO.. Assuming its not mis-leading incorrect info of course and if thats the case please step up and correct me as that is certainly not my intent to pass on bad info or take some ones job (Thunder);)

DuramaxTireSmoker

Jun 8, 2010
SW Florida

I'm doing this as a learning experience. An extra transmission was bought so I can take my spare time. I wanted to do it myself because I like working on things like this. Not complaining, I didn't expect it to go easy. This is the first one I have done so I am asking a few questions. If someone is willing to answer thats great, If not I will try to figure it out or learn the hard way:thumb:

Maricopaagent

Glamis Anyone?
Oct 10, 2011
Arizona
Well, Wish i could say it all went well.. But i cannot.. :( NOT to mention im driving a effn dakota crew which is a gas guzzlin slow POS(4.7l)...

Sooo.. Any input might help as i believe the problem is minor this time. Otherwise Ive wasted time and cash by NOT Driving to Cali.., as the truck drove fine before we started..

The converter goes in and out of lockup. Seems to shift fine up to the point of 5th gear shift , then it locks and unlocks right away.. Almost like a rev limiter.
Im not on the gas hard though, maybe half on my third accel/deccel run.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well, Wish i could say it all went well.. But i cannot.. :( NOT to mention im driving a effn dakota crew which is a gas guzzlin slow POS(4.7l)...

Sooo.. Any input might help as i believe the problem is minor this time. Otherwise Ive wasted time and cash by NOT Driving to Cali.., as the truck drove fine before we started..

The converter goes in and out of lockup. Seems to shift fine up to the point of 5th gear shift , then it lockups. Almost like a rev limiter.
Im not on the gas hard though, maybe half on my third accel/deccel run.

What do you mean? The tq converter is suppose to lock up in 5th if your not in tow/haul. Not quite sure what your saying is the issue

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I don't give a rats ass about " I told you so "
The big problem is I have no idea what you did and I don't think you know what you did. When I take a tech call and ask questions; people think I'm speaking arabic. I ask for clutch clearance numbers and I get WTF and why does it matter. I get arguments, I get lies. Seems people will tell me what I want to hear. This makes it really tuff to diagnose especialy on the phone.
When you guys do this shit yourself; you need to be ready with a professional scanner and not a stupid tuner which cannot retrieve necessary codes. I cannot use P0700 as I don't have a crystal ball. You need to take notes and pictures as you go along so you have reference in case of problems. I cannot use " I don't remember " which tells me you did not check a fricken thing.
Some of you guys like to party with your friends while you're doing this. Good for you. You will walk away and come back later to finish a sub assembly. Big mistake.
The top builders will not be giving any information out that isn't already out there. I am one of the worst offenders for putting too much out there.
I will help guys on a one on one basis but you better have good info, clearance numbers and codes off a good scanner.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Mike, as I recall, his build wasn't a DIY. He took it to someone local. The "I told you so" is because James told him he should take it to you.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I didnt build the thing. Built by an Allison shop here in AZ.

WE Just installed..

Now you have a problem. You don't know what they did, I don't know what they did, and the bitch is; they don't know what they did.
In case you are wondering; I don't find this funny. Money comes too hard for all of us. Most transmission shops are intimidated by the Allison which almost gaurantees failure. Allison techs are mostly robots that learned assembly from their school and are not allowed, nor are they able to think out of the box.
I have talked to many trans, dealer, and Allison so called techs. Many of them told me they never installed all the parts out of a kit because it seemed to be the dumbest thing in the world.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike, as I recall, his build wasn't a DIY. He took it to someone local. The "I told you so" is because James told him he should take it to you.

Josh I know that. My point was and is; I don't like to hear " I told you so " and do not use that on other people. I was wrong to think he did his own trans. I will try and help but it will be hard.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
AND, I'm sure the " I told you soo" is coming.. :baby:

Im not nor are most on here the kind to say that. It sucks either way now that your into an issue out of the box and its not like its cheap. Your best bet now is to take it back to that shop and see what they find. See if they will help you out first and If its their mis step, i hope they take care of you. If not, my garage is open if you need it. The hard part is gunna be understanding what was done for mike to help

Last edited:

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
Now you have a problem. You don't know what they did, I don't know what they did, and the bitch is; they don't know what they did.
In case you are wondering; I don't find this funny. Money comes too hard for all of us. Most transmission shops are intimidated by the Allison which almost gaurantees failure. Allison techs are mostly robots that learned assembly from their school and are not allowed, nor are they able to think out of the box.
I have talked to many trans, dealer, and Allison so called techs. Many of them told me they never installed all the parts out of a kit because it seemed to be the dumbest thing in the world.

Exactly why i tell people, leave it to the pro's.. Not the wannabe pro's.