Piston Bowls

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Its like the dirty little secret. So many knew, so few said anything.

Lost the High Frequency section on the welder. That explains why the arc started jumping around. Need to fix that before I can finish the repair. The welder is 30 years old. Might be time for a new box. The new ones sure are nice!

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Its like the dirty little secret. So many knew, so few said anything.

No kidding. Possible contributor to OH issue?

Lost the High Frequency section on the welder. That explains why the arc started jumping around. Need to fix that before I can finish the repair. The welder is 30 years old. Might be time for a new box. The new ones sure are nice!

Happy shopping....sticking with red I assume?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
do the lb7's have this issue at all. cause my truck seems like im losing boost but there is no sign of it coming from any of the boots or anywhere else....hmmmmmmm

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
do the lb7's have this issue at all. cause my truck seems like im losing boost but there is no sign of it coming from any of the boots or anywhere else....hmmmmmmm

After i found the first one leaking i put a stocker out of a lb7 in the truck, 6 months later when i pulled the engine i found that IC was leaking too!

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
The leaks are where the tubes enter the bulkheads, not at the tank weld itself. At least that is how mine was.

Thats how all the ones i have seen were too, right where the brace comes across from tank to tank, the brace almost dosnt look like it was suposed to be welded, just kinda a press fit and bent over inside the tank!

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT

I like these pistons, but what I've put them through so far is NOT hard core testing....

To follow up from our phone call about 6 weeks ago now, I've had the piston blanks on order for a while and they should be here shortly. I'll be giving you a call again soon when they come in; once it's all together they'll be pushed pretty hard!

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
I didn't know you had gone through with ordering blanks.

Sure did! Been a very busy time so I haven't really gotten a chance to get on here and post but they're on their way and should be here within the next few weeks...

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
The cross brace on the top and bottom of the left tank are leaking. The bottom brace was never welded and is leaking all around where it goes into the tank. The top one is partially welded.

Feels like a blow gun coming out of the gap.

Since the bottom brace is leaking all around, it is going to be a challenge to weld. But I have some ideas. Primary problem is cleaning the area well enough to accept a weld.

It appears this has been there since the truck was new. It explains a lot.....

Just got in from the shop & mines was leaking there also :mad:
X2 on the "It appears this has been there since the truck was new. It explains a lot...."

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Is this just an LLY issue? My LBZ has never acted right. With the stock charger we had a time getting the boost consistant and now with the new charger its lower on boost than other LBZ's with the same charger and tuning.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Is this just an LLY issue? My LBZ has never acted right. With the stock charger we had a time getting the boost consistant and now with the new charger its lower on boost than other LBZ's with the same charger and tuning.

Check out Finger's Leaking Intercoolers thread. No one there yet has reported issues with an LBZ, but I am going to check mine...