Piston Bowls

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Fingers is at Danville and the truck is strapped down.

Base tune 625/1150

They are going to work out an I/C leak and then start turning it up.....:woott:

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I'd take the base tune :joker:

Yea, me too. :D

I just got a call, Jon just pulled off an "ice pick" injector harness repair on the side of the Ohio Turnpike and is back on the road headed to Pgh. I'll let him fill in the details about the day tomorrow. Suffice to say that JB Weld was in fact not used, but there was discussion at one point...;)

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Sadly, We could not overcome the leaking intercooler and could not break my goal of 700 HP. :(

Adding more boost just clamped down on the exhaust while pissing the extra air out of the leak. Net gain, nothing. I had plenty of fuel, just needed some more air to mix with it. Without the leak, I probably could have gotten another 30 HP. At the end of the day, I think the leak had gotten worse since the numbers were starting to fall off.

Ended the session with 691/1205 as the best run. Max torque around 2700 RPM and Max HP in the 3300 range. We only pulled to 3900 RPM, but the HP curve is near flat to the lift point losing only about 50 HP from 3300 to 3900.

Found the edge of what the 6 yr old Suncoast III in the tranny will hold. It started rejecting full throttle in 5th gear during the road testing.

The max effort tune is fun. On the way home, someone tried to box me in behind a line of big rigs with one of those SS pickups. Blipped the pedal and scared him and me as I went from 70 to 90+ in a little over two car lengths. Scared him because he had just rolled on his throttle to close the box and he wasn't expecting a diesel to jump out like that. Scared me because a great burst of power like that is usually followed by a loud bang as something breaks.

Max tune is rough around the edges IMO and suffers from surging down low. I will massage it after I fix the damn leak. :mad:

Had a big, big scare when I fell victim to the LLY injector harness failure. Sounded like a piston was about to come out of the side of the engine when the #7 injector cut out. Reset the code a couple times hoping to find a good spot to work on it once I figured out it was the harness. BUT couldn't make it to the next exit. So I used a utility knife and did the dirty deed on the side of I-70 just inside the western edge of Ohio.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Yea, me too. :D

I just got a call, Jon just pulled off an "ice pick" injector harness repair on the side of the Ohio Turnpike and is back on the road headed to Pgh. I'll let him fill in the details about the day tomorrow. Suffice to say that JB Weld was in fact not used, but there was discussion at one point...;)

I did have the JB Weld. Don't leave home without it! Mark was not so excited about the idea, but in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Blipped the pedal and scared him and me as I went from 70 to 90+ in a little over two car lengths. Scared him because he had just rolled on his throttle to close the box and he wasn't expecting a diesel to jump out like that. Scared me because a great burst of power like that is usually followed by a loud bang as something breaks.

haha aint that the truth...I know the feeling. :rofl:

BUT couldn't make it to the next exit. So I used a utility knife and did the dirty deed on the side of I-70 just inside the western edge of Ohio.

funny...coming back from Merchants spring fling 2006, my LLY injector harness had the same problem at that location...maybe something about Ohio makes LLY injector harnesses crap out.

Glad to hear its holding up...looking forward to seeing what the setup will do once the boost leaks are fixed.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I don't think there is a whole lot further to go with the current setup. Over 700 HP isn't a problem with everything clicking, but I don't expect 800 or anything like that. Really, ~700 is respectable for a streetable single turbo setup. Air is the issue and can only be solved with going to a twins setup or maybe a supercharger.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I don't think there is a whole lot further to go with the current setup. Over 700 HP isn't a problem with everything clicking, but I don't expect 800 or anything like that. Really, ~700 is respectable for a streetable single turbo setup. Air is the issue and can only be solved with going to a twins setup or maybe a supercharger.
Or nitrous... :woott:

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
im just wondering there breaking point but who wants to really break somethign intentionaly when its so expensive to fix

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
im just wondering there breaking point but who wants to really break somethign intentionaly when its so expensive to fix

Heat and pressure break pistons. HP is not the metric for toughness of engine parts. A bad tune will eat parts way faster than a good high HP tune.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'd take the base tune :joker:

x2!!

I'm looking forward to hearing some more testing results.

If it proves to be a ground breaking new design that really works well and you don't want to get rich yourself building these full time for people, then maybe you can patent it and sell the design to Mahle or somebody. I would really be interested in trying them in a DD with a set of EPR triples which I should have done by this time next year. Piston's are the only thing I'm waiting on now.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
x2!!

I'm looking forward to hearing some more testing results.

If it proves to be a ground breaking new design that really works well and you don't want to get rich yourself building these full time for people, then maybe you can patent it and sell the design to Mahle or somebody. I would really be interested in trying them in a DD with a set of EPR triples which I should have done by this time next year. Piston's are the only thing I'm waiting on now.

Pipe down stock trans

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
All gonna be done when the triples get done son. At least I have my short block started. Hows your build coming??