Piston Bowls

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Some personal things had me stalled for a bit. Back to the build.

Some picture teasers....

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
It looks awesome Jon , but whats up with the 1 stock piston ? I cant wait to see how it does !!!!

Wondered if anyone would notice the stock piston. :) It is just placed in the hole for comparison.

Slight snag. Since I will only have one engine stand and will have to work on two engines to swap parts, I need to buy, and/or make another stand.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Harbor Freight foldable 2000# stand works well.

Engine is looking good, Jon. Keep at it.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I always wanted something that would attach to the side of the motor so you didn't have to keep rehanging the motor or work off the hoist. So here is what I cam up with. The center of gravity is a little lower than pivot point with the short block and will be a little higher on the long block. I will clear all the things that bolt to the motor.

I am putting together another frame now and should have it all ready for tomorrow.

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The completed stand. Sooooo much more substantial than the old stand. no bounce at all.

I have another mounting plate that I think I will make into another hanger for the old stand. Maybe something simpler. I've noticed that the left and right side of the motor have some hole that match up. One plate fits all? Maybe a combo plate.

One thing I like about the side hanger is you can install the cam vertically. Especially nice on these engines.

Last edited:

BIGBLOCKBILL

Wanna be sled puller.
Sep 3, 2006
WV
How have things been Jon? Motor build is looking nice, painted my new one Chevy orange too, should be good for another 40HP easy. Keep us posted on the piston testing, I have a feeling my cut stockers are short for this world.:D Great idea on the stand too, I thought about building one with dual pivots off the side of both motor mounts. Ended up building a rolling storage cart. I can strip a complete engine down to the block. Bolts into the motor mounts holes and the 2 large holes at the front beside the timing cover, not optimum, but it serves my purposes.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Leave it to you to come up with a better mousetrap. :thumb: Stand looks good. You do realize you're now going to be getting people asking if you can build one of those arms for them. :rofl:

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Leave it to you to come up with a better mousetrap. :thumb: Stand looks good. You do realize you're now going to be getting people asking if you can build one of those arms for them. :rofl:

No kidding, watching Jon makes me feel dumb and lazy. I normally have the lazy part but not often both.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Old engine had 20,000 miles on it. Except for the low compression ratio and a leaking rear main, I probably wouldn't have messed with it.

On teardown, the only issue I can find is slight scuffing in all the bores. I hope to put the stock heads on the short block and keeping it as a spare.