Piston Bowls

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
The completed stand. Sooooo much more substantial than the old stand. no bounce at all.

I have another mounting plate that I think I will make into another hanger for the old stand. Maybe something simpler. I've noticed that the left and right side of the motor have some hole that match up. One plate fits all? Maybe a combo plate.

One thing I like about the side hanger is you can install the cam vertically. Especially nice on these engines.

I've been toying with the notion of building a mount like that. How hard is it to spin the engine??

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Just like a traditional stand. The engine gets off balance as you add parts. I chose to keep it reasonably balanced with most of the parts on so when it is the heaviest, it will still spin. The pivot shaft on this is a little longer to reduce the friction there. It still takes a long bar to spin the engine, but it did on the old stands too. Wish I had a worm drive spinner.

So far, so good.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Update

Engine is ready, more or less, to go back in the truck. I don't know if I will get it done tomorrow or not. 4th of July and all.

I had a small scare today while assembling the engine. The crank was hitting a hard spot and would stop turning when 6 and 7 were at TDC. I thought for sure something had sneaked into the cylinder when I wasn't looking. Like a bolt. But I was keeping all the orifices covered, so I was baffled. Turned out that I had missed a polishing stone from when I tumbled the valve covers. It had wedged itself in a corner and was keeping a valve open. Whew. But that prevented me from putting the engine in the truck.

Attached is a picture of my favorite torque wrench in action. :D

This engine stand is great!

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
It's ALIVE

Cranked her over this afternoon. Only issue so far is I split an O-ring on the bypass pipe and was leaking water. All fixed.

I had some oil haze till the rings seated a little, then very clean. Especially for 100 over injectors. Truck is nice and crisp, even on the stock tune, but the smoke is a little much when I get on it. I will have to add a little more boost. The crackle in the pipes is much more noticeable. Don' t know if that is good or bad. Running the stock boost sensor right now. I will swap back to the 100 PSI sensor after I shake things down a bit. I managed to break off the port on the sensor while it was in the parts box. It is home made, so I will carve out another one.

EGT probe was also a casualty of the parts box. I think it was bad befor that though. Guess it is time for a new set of gauges.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
intrested in the outcome of testing also.

read through quite a few pages but never seen any talk about it, if these are proven to work, will you be building/selling them?

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
I am not really in it to sell them. More of a project for myself. I am more than happy to help whomever though.

Blanks are ~$200 each, machining on top of that. Say $50 value added? Heck WolfLLY or another machine jocky might want to get into the piston carving way. I am sure they would be faster than me.
:thumb:

I'll cut them into your blanks for free.

if these pistons work as planed will you make full sets with pistons and rods for sale?

intrested in the outcome of testing also.

read through quite a few pages but never seen any talk about it, if these are proven to work, will you be building/selling them?

It's been mentioned several times. ;)

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
FWIW, the higher compression makes cleaning up the big nozzles easy. Setting the minimum rail pressure to 50 MPa seems to have done the trick.

Engine noise is about the same as typical LLY. Power is good, but I am looking forward to turning up the wick.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
1000 or more miles now. No piston related issues. Nice to have my fuel economy back.

Dyno time scheduled for later this week. Already have had it turned up. Just need to fine tune. I'll post back what numbers she pulls.