in the buckeye state
My oil filter is remote mount. Sensor is in the hot oil straight from the pan

11147071_10205996648208853_2077396955187807592_n.jpg

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't think he ran with coolant in the oil for that long.

looking at past threads of adams from what i remember, there was a 2 week period he awaited testing results for the oil and they came back positive for coolant (not sure how many miles adam put on the truck between then), then how ever much time and miles he put on the truck between getting the sample and finally discovering the oil cooler let go. id think that would be enough time specially loaded but im just guessing

So you didn't start having low oil pressure until after the oil cooler failed?

i believe it started here.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65387

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
looking at past threads of adams from what i remember, there was a 2 week period he awaited testing results for the oil and they came back positive for coolant (not sure how many miles adam put on the truck between then), then how ever much time and miles he put on the truck between getting the sample and finally discovering the oil cooler let go. id think that would be enough time specially loaded but im just guessing

i believe it started here.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65387
I agree there is a good chance that running with coolant in the oil is what caused the bearing issues, but in that thread you linked, he stated the oil pressure he was seeing was normal for his truck.

Idk what this is.. Oil pressure is 30psi hot under load 45 with no trailer.. All normal for the truck and what i do with it.. Egr got removed back in November

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
The first pull I did with the boat after my oil temp gauge was installed netted me 283 deg oil temps and 25 psi oil pressure at roughly 1800 rpm. :eek:
Opened my eyes to the fact of needing an external oil cooler.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I agree there is a good chance that running with coolant in the oil is what caused the bearing issues, but in that thread you linked, he stated the oil pressure he was seeing was normal for his truck.

yup but now hes thinking it wasnt. ill quit answering for him being i wasnt there and see what adam thinks though.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
yup but now hes thinking it wasnt. ill quit answering for him being i wasnt there and see what adam thinks though.

From the time of the sample that was sent.. Till when the pistons failure was ~2400miles. Oil cooler noticeably failed ~350 before the pistons .

This following is a screen shot of my run(video taping stuck VVT) up to Webster Sd back in 4/21/15 ambient was in the low 50s and about 12,000mile before Texas run
11237570_10205998860104149_6479248353428209136_o.jpg

This end of March time from first hot day.. Jelico grade is a 7% 6-7mile winding grade on I75 shortly after you cross into Tennessee from Kentucky.. Its 75-80° and roughly 20k miles ago. Grossed 32,000lbs
https://youtu.be/LB0hpWOt_yM

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
It's been a long time since I read all the posts in this thread. Does anyone make a bolt on auxiliary oil cooler kit yet that works good? I would like to put one on my lly and lmm.

RHallenbeck

Aug 21, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
Be nice of a setup could be used with a recirc pump that would stand up to the high temps drawing oil from the drain on the pan and running it through a large cooler then return from the cooler through the oil fill ..

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Be nice of a setup could be used with a recirc pump that would stand up to the high temps drawing oil from the drain on the pan and running it through a large cooler then return from the cooler through the oil fill ..

Wouldn't be cheap.
They make pumps to do it and paired with a setrab cooler and all the hoses fittings and brackets I'm betting at least $1500 for a full bolt in kit.
http://weldonracingdealer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=43

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Anybody have any input on the Mishimoto oil cooler kit?
I was thinking of doing the ppe oil cooler delete bypass and going with something like the mishimoto kit?

I think the cooler needs to be bigger, double in size, but as long as it is in-line and not a bypass system you shouldn't lose any oil pressure and it should work. I like the fact the sandwich adaptor can be gotten with a thermostat. Anyone know if this will work on our trucks?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I had the killer bee kit on my gmc with 66/80 twins and it flat out worked. I paid 975$ for it back in 2012. We need a lot of cooling for the oil because the factory cooler is too small, imho. I want to put an ax cooler on my LBZ but I don't tow heavy as much anymore. Adam, I hate to say it, but if your Gunna continue to hotshot and pull heavy, I think you need to look into a manual 5.9.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I think the cooler needs to be bigger, double in size, but as long as it is in-line and not a bypass system you shouldn't lose any oil pressure and it should work. I like the fact the sandwich adaptor can be gotten with a thermostat. Anyone know if this will work on our trucks?

I don't think the input/output is big enough either its only -10 I would want -12

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

Remote mount filter full flow is what i do.. -10 saw and increase in oil pressure over stock due to cooler oil being put in..
Yet to have enough cooling to need a thermostat but I have found these
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Remote_Oil_Thermostats

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

The killerbee cooler setup I bought off Brian could even be bigger but in reality, we need more cooling from the radiator. The oil is heating it up beyond heat capacity

I had the killer bee kit on my gmc with 66/80 twins and it flat out worked. I paid 975$ for it back in 2012. We need a lot of cooling for the oil because the factory cooler is too small, imho. I want to put an ax cooler on my LBZ but I don't tow heavy as much anymore. Adam, I hate to say it, but if your Gunna continue to hotshot and pull heavy, I think you need to look into a manual 5.9.

The stock one works damn well, it's putting so much heat into the radiator, it can't be cooled down fast enough when your pulling hills. The gauges agree cause as you watch them, soon as oil temp hits 230-240*, coolant then starts heating up and keeping a 30-40* temp difference between the two. It happens every time, a/c on or off like clock work.

I'd really like to find a bigger radiator or more efficient one or both after I put the kodiak fan in to see just how much longer oil temps stay down.

That's why I was thinking running no water-to-oil cooler might help but the more I think about, the more I see the oil not being able to stay cool with just the air-to-oil