Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Is anybody running this radiator/oil cooler?

http://wimbleberryfeatherstone.com/...et-silverado-and-gmc-sierra-2001-2005-lb7-lly

I was checking the Mocal website and they need to do some serious updating on it...still the 2011 prices.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That's the one I've highly considered running but I really wish it were a 3 core. I'd buy it right away. He won't build me a 3 core.... gunna have to call Ron Davis or CBR and see if they will build me one.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
That's the one I've highly considered running but I really wish it were a 3 core. I'd buy it right away. He won't build me a 3 core.... gunna have to call Ron Davis or CBR and see if they will build me one.
I don't live in places that have the % grades that you guys do, but we do have a lot of hills and lower highway speeds, mostly 60 mph on the two LA e highways. When I get into South Dakota the interstate speeds, of which I don't tow at, are 85. I think this radiator/cooler would work great for me, especially after my build.

Do you think his trans cooler is as good as the MikeL. Cooler from PPE?

On a slightly lighter, and much better note, my wife made a suggestion to me and the kids that we buy ourselves ourselves ONE Christmas present next year and wrap it and then show everybody. I'm ALL for it!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Wanted to come back to this thread and post some more info, I built two coolers and waiting on a 3rd to come in. These two are for oil and trans, its a little much for the trans but I hope to be able to remove the cooler from the front of the truck to free up air flow to the stack and just use this one mounted under the truck with the fan.

Adapter Fro Mocal

Before welding

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Standalone oil cooling system

In the 3 threads we’ve all probably contributed too in regards to oil cooling, I don’t recall anyone discussing the use of a separate external pump to circulate the oil to keep oil pressure from being adversely effected by all added on resistance to flow. In all my reading and research oil pressure loss has come up a couple times and got me thinking of this type of segregation of systems. Just looking to see if anyone has .02 to throw on the table. Keeping it alive in 2018!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
In the 3 threads we’ve all probably contributed too in regards to oil cooling, I don’t recall anyone discussing the use of a separate external pump to circulate the oil to keep oil pressure from being adversely effected by all added on resistance to flow. In all my reading and research oil pressure loss has come up a couple times and got me thinking of this type of segregation of systems. Just looking to see if anyone has .02 to throw on the table. Keeping it alive in 2018!

good question. there are a couple sand car guys who do this but they do it because the stock oil pumps are weak on their boosted applications. i would think if the cooler is sized right, it wouldnt cause an issue? i do know that my truck pops the bypass valve more than it stays closed due to high pressure until oil temps climb over 220-230. i average 65psi with the valve open.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
James, is your oil pump modified I take it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, is your oil pump modified I take it?

nope, stock lb7 with 215k on it. bearing clearances were only slightly more than stock (have to look at my notes but iirc they were .0005 over stock).

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How do you know if you bypass is open?.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bypass opens at 65-70psi. when oil warms up, you can rev the engine and watch oil pressure rise with rpm till the bypass opens and pressure stops rising. when oil is cold, even with the bypass open you can still build beyond the 65-70psi since its so much thicker.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
I’m probably going to try it both ways and see what happens, my oil pressures at op temp with mid 70’s ambiant are 55-60 top of shift and 20-22 idle. I like the external pump option of being able to shut it off when not needed. Thanks!

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Sorry for asking this, but this is a huge thread to read all the way through.

Where are you guys reading your oil temps at? Oil pan? Pre oil cooler?? Oil galley? Oil galley seems to make sense to me. But was just curious.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sorry for asking this, but this is a huge thread to read all the way through.

Where are you guys reading your oil temps at? Oil pan? Pre oil cooler?? Oil galley? Oil galley seems to make sense to me. But was just curious.

off the oil filter housing where oil is coming in straight from the oil pump/oil galley. cant remember the port but there are 2, one pre oil cooler and one post. ive seen some stats in the sand car world where reading pan temps can cause temps that are way off due to heat soak (LS based and SBC based engines boosted and n/a).

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Happen to know the thread pitch? It’s Oring I assume?