hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Outside air temps are between 104 and 112, my truck and trailer is 8k. James has 600hp tow tune in with my old cooler, pulling up to 8% grades highest oil temp was 265 and 230 coolant. Cruising at 65 we are at 235. The Lbz following us (Dangerdog) is stock/s480 twins and ~15-30* cooler not towing. This cooler is doing great.:thumb:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
So the inside of the adapter is 12an, but the ports are 10an?

Also to quote SD from page 15:

"Every one needs to keep in mind that if ALL the oil is directed to the cooler/coolers, the lines needs to be a min of -12AN (plus the coolers must be able to flow this without restrictions as well. With the modded adapter I use, it only directs the needed amount and never makes a restriction in the cooler/coolers or the full flow oil filter and -10AN can be utilized."

It sounds like more he did more than just open passages to me. Does someone have one of the modded adapters not on a truck to post pics or something? Even going all 12an it would be good to try and duplicate what SD did.

Found these awhile back from mocal looked to have what was needed for T-stat controlled sandwich plates, the page has number of options

http://97.74.32.155/files/sp1t.pdf

ssantac

Sep 18, 2011
Nice find!:thumb:

The high flow adapter might be good if it fits. Going to have to look up and/or take the measurements to make sure.

So heres another question I just thought of to throw another wrench in the works. Can you run both the oil cooler, AND a bypass filter?

I think this is going to be a "complete for next summer" project.

crbonline

Jul 10, 2013
I tow a 40' Jayco Recon that is dry 13.5k and fully loaded 18.5k so it's pushing the limits of the truck. I am and have been planning to add an oil cooler but unfortunately it is still on the to do list as I've been adding other goodies (BD tranny cooler, PS cooler, fuel cooler fan). But for reference I just returned from a trip to fort jones during last week's CA heat spell. Pulling hwy 3 from I5/Yreka over the pass with outside temps between 108-112 with AC on full blast my coolant temps spiked at 240 (with the TxC RadMod V2 with fan), my tranny never saw above 191 because of the recent addition of the BD extruded tranny cooler (in addition to my Mike L cooler) but my oil temps hit 285+. From what I understand this not good but not horrible as I run synthetics and they are supposed to start breakdown at 299+...i'm definitely running in the red and I do not like to be there at all. I've been planning to put a cooler up front and try to prevent soak from making it to the stack but after seeing what a freakin awesome job the BD remote cooler with fan did, I'm headed down that path. I'm going to look into a remote frame mount cooler with a fan...this will also be nice because I can mount it right next to the oil filter sandwich instead of having to run lines back/forth to the grill. Anyone see any issues/risks with this approach?

I gotta give thanks to SuperDiesel who brought this hot oil issue to my attention and assisted me through great instructions with my oil temp gauge install and provided some great advice on how to tackle this issue. Thanks SD! And I'll be sending you a sandwich for porting in the near future...hopefully soon but I still have to replace PS pump, hydroboost, and steering gearbox for the third time...now with the PS cooler, this should hopefully be the last time for a long time.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I tow a 40' Jayco Recon that is dry 13.5k and fully loaded 18.5k so it's pushing the limits of the truck. I am and have been planning to add an oil cooler but unfortunately it is still on the to do list as I've been adding other goodies (BD tranny cooler, PS cooler, fuel cooler fan). But for reference I just returned from a trip to fort jones during last week's CA heat spell. Pulling hwy 3 from I5/Yreka over the pass with outside temps between 108-112 with AC on full blast my coolant temps spiked at 240 (with the TxC RadMod V2 with fan), my tranny never saw above 191 because of the recent addition of the BD extruded tranny cooler (in addition to my Mike L cooler) but my oil temps hit 285+. From what I understand this not good but not horrible as I run synthetics and they are supposed to start breakdown at 299+...i'm definitely running in the red and I do not like to be there at all. I've been planning to put a cooler up front and try to prevent soak from making it to the stack but after seeing what a freakin awesome job the BD remote cooler with fan did, I'm headed down that path. I'm going to look into a remote frame mount cooler with a fan...this will also be nice because I can mount it right next to the oil filter sandwich instead of having to run lines back/forth to the grill. Anyone see any issues/risks with this approach?

I gotta give thanks to SuperDiesel who brought this hot oil issue to my attention and assisted me through great instructions with my oil temp gauge install and provided some great advice on how to tackle this issue. Thanks SD! And I'll be sending you a sandwich for porting in the near future...hopefully soon but I still have to replace PS pump, hydroboost, and steering gearbox for the third time...now with the PS cooler, this should hopefully be the last time for a long time.

heres my thoughts on it based off my recent tow to new mexico and back pulling grades in 114* heat with 8k on the back

if your pushing her hard up the hills, even with an oil cooler your still gunna get that truck hot when ambient temp is over 110*. turning A/C in my truck made the biggest difference overall so thats telling me our condensors are putting ALOT of heat into the cooling stack.

you will also see, at or above 260* on the oil temp, coolant temps will soon start climbing. Mine did that before the cooler and did it after. hauling that weight up 6% grades i had to drop to 50-55mph near the top because water temps were at 240* and oil temps were at 275*. But i also have my cooler at an angle in the front of the truck that prevents 100% direct hit of air going through the cooler as well as no shrouding around it to help direct the air. Ive since added shrouding (last night as it were) and will be retesting up the same grades this weekend with about the same sized load.

But so far, IMHO anything over 105 or so degrees out and a/c on is gunna make it a biotch to keep the truck cool if you want to do 70mph up hills. the same hills at 100*, i could keep the truck in 5th and roll into the throttle and cruise 65-70 up the hills. Granted im running twin turbos and run a 550-600hp tune but still, im not using near that power when im at 1/4 throttle at 50mph in 3rd gear trying to get the truck to cool down.

your fan on the oil cooler may work but i dont feel it would be as efficent as a cooler mounted on the front of the truck below the cooling stack.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The thinner air at high altitudes also makes the radiator run hotter.

Stay in 4th at 2300-2400 if you are seeing high temps.

We have towed over 23k combined weight up through Vail, Colorado, with an LLY in summer heat. We actually overheated the transmission on the downgrade, but not the water.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I'm working on a remote oil cooler/filter set up right now that I'm hoping will net me some cooler oil by deleting the factory cooler and running an 11"x6"x2" setrab cooler, oil thermostat, and thermal fan switch for the electric fan. The cooler is going to be mounted behind the grill but the filter and thermostat will be the lowest point in the system on the frame behind the motor for oil change purposes. The question from me is, has anyone tried relocating the AC condenser or replacing it with a thicker/smaller cooler? Would this even help with general cooling?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
James I do not think you will be able to keep oil temps down as much as you want with that small of a cooler. I would keep the factory cooler in place.

I would also try to place the cooler under the cooling stack.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
How big of a cooler do I need? Unfortunately I don't have any room behind the bumper since that's where I mounted both batteries.

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Bringing this back to life..

Pretty sure I just killed my 2nd of stock pistons.. First set I avg~ 240° sustained at barely 300fwhp.. Pretty pretty sure my LMM just split one(waiting on calvary to come get me). LMM dyno several times at ~400rwhp avg oil temp was 215-220° ect never over 205° egts max was 1100° avg 750-800°

Kinda gets old

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Bringing this back to life..

Pretty sure I just killed my 2nd of stock pistons.. First set I avg~ 240° sustained at barely 300fwhp.. Pretty pretty sure my LMM just split one(waiting on calvary to come get me). LMM dyno several times at ~400rwhp avg oil temp was 215-220° ect never over 205° egts max was 1100° avg 750-800°

Kinda gets old

Sorry to hear man, for what interval are you seeing that temp. I drive to work with an incline of 3-5k and I see 220-230 oil temp and coolant temp never goes above 195 but its for only 25 miles a day.

Quit buyin trucks with cardboard pistons :D

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I'd see 230-235° and back out of the throttle

What do you mean by interval? Avg temp is over 500-600 miles a day.. Hills are ~10-15° hotter for grades

Have you thought about finger Pistons this time around? I know it's a lot more money. I'm just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Where are you measuring your oil temps? Pan, pre cooler or post?

At CTC the hottest they wanted it post cooler was 255°F, but that's for a steel piston. At that point the oil will coke on the bottom of the piston and won't cool anything down.

Try measuring from the pan, it will be hottest there. You'll prob push 270-280.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Top port on the factory oil cooler housing is the best place to get an accurate reading. I have my gauge set to red light at 240 and then I back off.