madmax02

Apr 30, 2012
Taylor, Mi
So what sandwich adapter is everyone using now? I know super diesel modded the ones from summit, but with him out of the picture is there another option? Did he just change the fitting size on the sandwich to -12an?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmax02

Apr 30, 2012
Taylor, Mi
In his vendor section it says he has basically stepped away dealing with some personal issues. I sent him a pm in dec but never heard from him. So I'm assuming he was the only guy modding the sandwich adapters, unless someone else is. Wanting to get everything around to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twan

May 25, 2013
Colorado
2008 crew cab long bed 4x4 stock power, only changes are wheels and tires, 265/70r17.
Pulling a 25' inclosed at 7-9k oil holds 220-250 depending on speed and wind. Have seen 300* on hills, egts hold 1300-1500 max of 1550, water temp 210-240.
I've had water temp hold 220-230 all day at times. Truck now has 175,000 miles

ssantac

Sep 18, 2011
I'm glad this has come back around again. I have some questions with this also.

Long story short with me. I'm in phx. It gets ridiculously hot here for those that don't know. I had an LLY, didn't pull the way I needed it to due to OH issues. Even with an aux cooler it just seemed like a time bomb. I got an LMM and it gets hot(240+ coolant), but it DOES cool itself down. Now since my last tow(when I saw what I feel was low oil pressure issues) and before it hits 117+ outside I've been thinking of an oil cooler for this truck. Since this has been active here, I'll pretty much copy/paste my post from DF.

I've been looking around at some options for putting together my own oil cooler, at my own pace. I know there was a kit put together from 'super diesel' a while ago, but I'm concerned with details on that...and cost.

From that old thread it seems he recommended going -12an (3/4") out of the sandwich adapter by boring it out. Looking at the pic on summit (I'm no machinist) I don't see how super diesel was able to bore out the adapter from -10 to -12...doesn't seem to be enough material.

From etrailers they have an adapter from Derale and even a whole kit that uses -10an(1/2"). Someone even asked what is the 'right' one to use and one of their 'experts' recommended the 1/2".

Has anyone done calculations or anything to see if the -10(1/2") will work for sure or not. If it would that would save a helluva lot of time and money !

I found someone on this forum (calabria69) who said he was running a Derale oil cooler kit, but he doesn't seem to be active anymore. I pm'd him anyway hopefully he responds.

Someone else said they have a bypass filter and a side effect of that was oil cooling. That's a good idea, but I don't think that would be enough to take it and run with it.

Or is anyone else active here running an sandwich adapter/oil cooler kit with the -10(1/2") size adapter/hose? What are your thoughts?

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
From that old thread it seems he recommended going -12an (3/4") out of the sandwich adapter by boring it out. Looking at the pic on summit (I'm no machinist) I don't see how super diesel was able to bore out the adapter from -10 to -12...doesn't seem to be enough material.

From etrailers they have an adapter from Derale and even a whole kit that uses -10an(1/2"). Someone even asked what is the 'right' one to use and one of their 'experts' recommended the 1/2".
You use a -12 to -10 fittings on the sandwich adapter, the passages inside the adapter are opened up
the fluidyne is alot bigger than the derale cooler, the derale is too small, its smaller than what we use for an aftermarket tranny coolers
half inch is -8 so I wouldnt even consider using that

ssantac

Sep 18, 2011
My Bad, I Got My Conversions Wrong. I Was Referring To -10, Which Is 5/8.
Is That Still Too Small?
I Want Explore Other Options Than Fluidyne. I Know Its A Quality Piece, But I'm Hung Up On Price. It SounDs Like The Derale Adapter Could Work For A Third The Price, Maybe There's An Adequate Cooler Out There Too.

ssantac

Sep 18, 2011
You use a -12 to -10 fittings on the sandwich adapter, the passages inside the adapter are opened up

So the inside of the adapter is 12an, but the ports are 10an?

Also to quote SD from page 15:

"Every one needs to keep in mind that if ALL the oil is directed to the cooler/coolers, the lines needs to be a min of -12AN (plus the coolers must be able to flow this without restrictions as well. With the modded adapter I use, it only directs the needed amount and never makes a restriction in the cooler/coolers or the full flow oil filter and -10AN can be utilized."

It sounds like more he did more than just open passages to me. Does someone have one of the modded adapters not on a truck to post pics or something? Even going all 12an it would be good to try and duplicate what SD did.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Well, if it makes a difference, with the McRat Tstats, I am seeing 24-25psi hot idle oil pressure, up form 17-19psi with the stock engine.

Need to get a gauge on the oil filter soon.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well, if it makes a difference, with the McRat Tstats, I am seeing 24-25psi hot idle oil pressure, up form 17-19psi with the stock engine.

Need to get a gauge on the oil filter soon.

brand new oil with 35 miles on it and you driving it like a grandma as well as having a rebuilt motor kinda makes the t-stats an ill point buddy :D

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
told you to wait. your suppose to cut the oil filter open and look for bearing material as well

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just hauled this load about 40 miles. EGTs were between 1000 and 1400 (mostly around 1150-1200) and oil temps were 255-260. I was running around 65 mph in 5th gear most of the time. The mirror was saying it was 84 degrees out. No idea how much weight, but the trailer by itself is probably somewhere around 7000 lbs.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 213

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
them pallets are heavier than they look.

hauling my rig last week over the same hills i did a year ago without a cooler, i got a good idea of what the cooler did for me.

Running the same tow tune, 12k load on the back, and really just about all the same temps and setup i had as of last year i got a 20* drop in temps pulling the hills (85* outside temps, 2 6% grade hills, running a/c, kept a heavy foot :D). Fan only kicked on when pulling the hills and it really only seemed to be for the a/c more than anything as my coolant temps never got over 190*. Oil temps cruising never went over 210 where before i would cruise at 230-235*. Up verde hill (6% grade) i kicked her down in 4th and held 65-70mph with 1100* egts and 225* oil temps most of the way till near the top where people started playing games and i lost momentum.

Last year at that point i was at 260* already and down to 3rd gear at 55-60 with coolant temp climbing to 220-230* and me having to stay out of the throttle to keep temps down. Now im able to kick it down to 3rd, run it up to 3300rpm , shift to 4th and hold 4th at 60-65 up the hills with oil temps at a consistant 240*. My issue now is back to EGTs. Seems if i get above 1800uS, egts start climbing pretty bad to 1500 so that last bit of thottle i use as my "passing button" lol. Was awesome to see my oil temps not go over 240 no matter how much i got into it though and coolant temps never go over 190.

(all coolant readings were done via the factory gauge which is not very accurate to actual temp, im only using it as a guide for a "before and after" type affect)

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
And people say lowered trucks cant tow... ;)

Lotta tongue weight on that haul Josh
The extra 2" I dropped it a few weeks ago really bit me in the ass with that load. If I hadn't dropped it more, I would have had about 2.5" between the axle and the frame with that trailer, but as it was, I had about half an inch and it bottomed out on almost every bump. I need some air bags in a bad way. Other than that, it handled it just fine :D