Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yup, read the sticker wrong. Shes 7200 empty. Looks like ill be closer to 12-13k loaded plus truck weight

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Only time I saw oil temps reall sky rocket towing a truck to Mike L's was when I was in 4th gear going around 2600rpm's egt's were around 950-1000 but oil temps went to 225. Shift up a gear to 2200-2300 and egts went up to 1100 and oil temps dropped to 200.

from what I have gathered, you either have high(er) egt's while pulling a hill, or high(er) oil temps. take out some rpm, and either will go up or down.

I'm getting both under power on the grades. I maintain the EGTs but my oil temps keep going until I hit a flat (few and far between when I'm climbing the Rockies).

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Ig guess its my big azz cooler then. I hooked up my outside air temp gauge to behind the cooler so now I know how good the cooler is working. Pretty smart :D

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Had something AMAZING happen, and I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes. The last few days I've seen my oil and coolant temps drop while driving in the same conditions as before. And I mean a LOT! I was sitting in stop and go traffic as I reported before but this time the temps were at 156-160*F on the oil cooler and ECT were 160*. Uh oh, I thought. T-stat to the oil cooler adapter or the engine T-stats were going out. I made a run empty up the hill to Genessee just to see if it might be my gauge. PUSH IT HARD with the water injecting on the intake and cooler. Got to Genessee turn off and the oil temp was 204*F :eek:. ECT were at 175*F :eek:. I go home and take off the oil cooler adapter and inspect it. Every thing looks fine. I test it. Every thing is fine. RUT ROW! could it be the oil temp gauge? I run with the adapter off and oil filter back in place and the cooler lines plugged off. 185*F oil temps down the hwy. ECT were at 175*F :eek: too (back to normal). It was 80*F out and the oil temp is usually around 195*F without the cooler. test the oil temp gauge and probe. Right on spec as it should be. It's been 600 miles since the Schaeffer 9000 5W-40 was put in. The motor is even quieter and smoother now than when I first put it in and started testing. It appears the oil HAS cooled the oil down some without the cooler installed. However, with the cooler functioning it's staggering. With only 10% of the oil flowing through the cooler I have seen a low temp while returning from the mountain cannonball run of 144*F :eek: :eek: :eek:. The harder I push up the mountain the more time I spend at or above 20psi and the W/M chiller running the cooler the truck runs. The EGTs with it were at 1100-1150*F and the oil temps would dive down. And I was PUSHING IT HARD and it didn't seen to matter how hard I pushed it because the chiller would work more (I wasn't comfy at all but it need to be done)! Trust me. But that is besides the point unless some are looking for further cooling. Fact of the matter is this. I'm BLOWN away by the Schaeffer oil. Never seen anything like it. It really drops temps but it is ESPECIALLY magnified when used with a cooler. Is there less friction with it? :dontknow: I was told to give it a little time to work,,,,but I'm blown away! I never would have believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes. I have EGG on my face.

Next test: 21K up the back side of Eisenhower with everything working and hooked up. :woott:

Last edited:

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
:D
Had something AMAZING happen, and I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes. The last few days I've seen my oil and coolant temps drop while driving in the same conditions as before. And I mean a LOT! I was sitting in stop and go traffic as I reported before but this time the temps were at 156-160*F on the oil cooler and ECT were 160*. Uh oh, I thought. T-stat to the oil cooler adapter or the engine T-stats were going out. I made a run empty up the hill to Genessee just to see if it might be my gauge. PUSH IT HARD with the water injecting on the intake and cooler. Got to Genessee turn off and the oil temp was 204*F :eek:. ECT were at 175*F :eek:. I go home and take off the oil cooler adapter and inspect it. Every thing looks fine. I test it. Every thing is fine. RUT ROW! could it be the oil temp gauge? I run with the adapter off and oil filter back in place and the cooler lines plugged off. 185*F oil temps down the hwy. ECT were at 175*F :eek: too (back to normal). It was 80*F out and the oil temp is usually around 195*F without the cooler. test the oil temp gauge and probe. Right on spec as it should be. It's been 600 miles since the Schaeffer 9000 5W-40 was put in. The motor is even quieter and smoother now than when I first put it in and started testing. It appears the oil HAS cooled the oil down some without the cooler installed. However, with the cooler functioning it's staggering. With only 10% of the oil flowing through the cooler I have seen a low temp while returning from the mountain cannonball run of 144*F :eek: :eek: :eek:. The harder I push up the mountain the more time I spend at or above 20psi and the W/M chiller running the cooler the truck runs. The EGTs with it were at 1100-1150*F and the oil temps would dive down. And I was PUSHING IT HARD and it didn't seen to matter how hard I pushed it because the chiller would work more (I wasn't comfy at all but it need to be done)! Trust me. But that is besides the point unless some are looking for further cooling. Fact of the matter is this. I'm BLOWN away by the Schaeffer oil. Never seen anything like it. It really drops temps but it is ESPECIALLY magnified when used with a cooler. Is there less friction with it? :dontknow: I was told to give it a little time to work,,,,but I'm blown away! I never would have believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes. I have EGG on my face.

Next test: 21K up the back side of Eisenhower with everything working and hooked up. :woott:

I am glad you have seen the light:D I have been running Schaeffers for years in my tow rig and pull truck, and have recently started selling the product here in Canada for Schaeffers Ontario. The results just can't be explained, they have to be experienced before most become true believers! The 9000 synthetics are well known for great heat transfer qualities and low friction! Have you considered trying the 7000 15w40? It has an additive package that outperforms the 9000 in certain extreme load/pressure situations. Glad you like the product! Keep up the great posts:thumb:

DougSmith

Curtis, I did not have any of the#700 to send him, and I really did not want to, ONLY because I knew that the 9000 would perform well, as that is what I run, and I wanted to make sure that the 9000 would hold up first.BUT, I will say this, I would recommend running the #700 after this test is complete.

If Mike thinks the engine oil is good, I hope he tries the tranny fluid too. It is UNREAL what I have been experiencing with it. :thumb:

Mike,
I would also suggest changing the oil filter now that you got all the JUNK cleaned out from the other oils you ran before. Now that you are completely sludge free, change the filter.

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Curtis, I did not have any of the#700 to send him, and I really did not want to, ONLY because I knew that the 9000 would perform well, as that is what I run, and I wanted to make sure that the 9000 would hold up first.BUT, I will say this, I would recommend running the #700 after this test is complete.

If Mike thinks the engine oil is good, I hope he tries the tranny fluid too. It is UNREAL what I have been experiencing with it. :thumb:

Mike,
I would also suggest changing the oil filter now that you got all the JUNK cleaned out from the other oils you ran before. Now that you are completely sludge free, change the filter.

Its crazy how good all the Scharffers products are. I havent used one product yet that doesnt perform. I agree about the atf! The only downside is the stuff stinks up the shop lol! I am also a big fan of the #238 moly grease and Penetro 90 penetrating oil. The gear lubes perform excellent as well. Just good quality products that give you piece of mind:thumb:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I'll get the filters changed out Doug.

Yes, Doug made this possible to do these tests and reports. Thanks again Doug. I'm still alarmed at the differences I'm getting now compared to when I first put the oil in. This oil makes a good difference without the cooler but is to the 5th power with the cooler. Of course I will post about the towing up and over the grade when I get to that point. I'm looking forward to it. I'm waiting for the new tanks to get here to see how well I can make it do. All of this has been a great experience for me and everything I have done has played a roll. Good to see even the oil has a hand in helping with curing this issue. I think I have arrived. :D

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I got this quote from the local dealer;

"9000 is$199.54 per 5 gallon pail and the 7000 is$180.20 before taxes and oil levies"

Perhaps I can find some in WA less expensive :broke:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Ok Ill try it out on the next oil change-just about got that cooler mounted on the truck wasn't bad at all

DougSmith

Those prices are fair for retail. You need to keep in mind that if you would do an oil analysis at 10,000 miles and get the results, you will find that 20,000 mile oil changes are easy on a Dmax. So at that, $200 an oil change is CHEAP!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Ok Ill try it out on the next oil change-just about got that cooler mounted on the truck wasn't bad at all

Yea! If you can, post some pics when you get a chance.

I wish for me, guessing I might go 5-8K on mine but that is better than the 1k on normal oil :spit:

Make sure you send it in at 5K for a UOA if your worried Andrew. Just to see what they say. You may need to side stream oil purifier.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
On another note, I got the tanks mounted finally. I had to try all kinds of combos to get it to draw from both tanks at the same time. Now I can put the camper in or what ever else I need to. I'm sorry to say as most know, this set up has diminished returns and results the higher your relative Humidity is. I'm in the land of DRY, so I can get away with this (but I also have some of the worst mountain passes to deal with too).

P5040417.JPG

Attachments

• P5040417.JPG
    P5040417.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 78

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Micheal, is there another setup that could be used instead of needing to do a water spray setup just to keep oil cool under high abuse? Maybe a larger water to oil cooler combined with air to oil cooler? Id do the tank setup but refilling something like that isnt my cup of tea. Im one of those that will deal with the "low washerfluid" light for months on end. My dad has a water to oil cooler on his sand car thats pretty big, ill have to get part number for it for more info but id like to keep the cooling of the oil held to a good temp without much of my input if that makes sense. Maintence free is always nice.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Well James, IMHO, I think that is part of the issue. The water temp will rise uncontrollably if we install a in-line oil to water cooler (additional heat exchanger) to supplement the stock heat exchanger we already have. I was thinking of this a little bit back (couple of months or so) then I got worried that the ECT would go up that much faster now with this set up. :dontknow:

When your adding additional cooling capabilities, it will probably be a maint. or a time thing James. Mines running pretty darn cool now. We'll see though when the heat is on, the loads are BIG, and the grades are steep and I'm pushing pretty hard up the hill.

My tanks are 4 gal each. I timed it with a gal and it looks like I can run it constant for 24-25 mins (enough time to get me through most the grade coming back on I-70).

By the way James, I think I will only REALLY need the chiller when I'm pushing the heavy loads. I'll use it over all, but I think this is where it will find it's true need. So, maybe if you had something to this effect, you would only need to worry about it when your hauling heavy and pushing it. I like it because I can push REAL hard and it only gets cooler (more on time) at this point of testing.

Last edited: