Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Still have this guy if someone would like to shoot me an offer..

It would work well for guys with custom bumper (James), or are in need of additional protection for their twins (James), or built motor (James)...

:D

hang on, you talkin about me?? :rofl: :D. Shoot me an idea of what you want brandon. it wont fit in the bumper but i have another idea of where to fit it. gotta take some more measurments :woott:

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Just for info. If anyone needs one of these Fluidyne DB-30618 coolers, I can get them a little cheaper than most places have them listed at for maybe the next month or two. PP will be needed. PM me if interested.

I got mine from Summit Racing but did talk to Fluidyne directly. They will do custom coolers or modify the DB-30618 for an extra fee. Moving the ports to the rear may be something to consider for less bends, especially if ordering a few.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Snap it up James! Nice oil cooler that should do the job well.

Where are those journal bearing pics too?

oh yeah, forgot about that :rofl:. ill get them up tonight. I have to figure out a place the cooler will look good on the truck before i commit. it wont fit in the bumper so ill have to see where i can fit it on the front end

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Did the test with the Schaeffer 9000 5W-40 synthetic today. Conditions were slightly cooler at 68-70*F outside. Here's the results.

Whent up the same grades as usual and hauling the 7K load and had the A/C on to duplicate as close as possible the previous results. I noticed cruising temps on the Fwy were between 185-195*F on the flatter sections. By the time I got to the base of the grade where I usually check the temps first, I saw the gauge at 212*F and oil pressure was at 33.5psi at the journals. By the time I got to the Genesee turnoff it was at 227*F. I didn't quite push it like I did yesterday, even though I held close to the same speed and slightly lower EGTs (not as much traffic to contend with and not much on-off throttle because of it). The idle oil pressure at the top was 15.5psi. Engine coolant did the same jig and stuck at 195*F.

There is one thing I sure noticed about the Schaeffer oil. The truck seemed to run smoother and it wasn't as tense going up the grade pushing the truck like usual because it sounded better. Go figure. The oil temp near the top of the hill hit 230*F for a moment then came down to 227*F before the exit. Haven't seen this happen before because the truck is still pulling a pretty good grade all the way to the exit. I like the oil. Think I'll stick with it. No big temp drop differences besides the 4*F difference from yesterday but it was also 5*F cooler for the run overall as well. Would this do it?

Also I finished up the ducting this evening after the testing. The truck made me work for it again. It's all ducted up well and it came out better than I thought. I'll be putting the spray nozzles in next (got to have an easy way to install it and easy removal of the nozzles though for maint). This will be a challenge as well I'm sure. Hard to see from the pis but the sides are on about a 30* slope inward and the bottom is sealed up now. LOTS of air to it now. We'll see how she does.
P4200403.JPG

P4200402.JPG

P4200401.JPG

P4200400.JPG

Attachments

• P4200403.JPG
    P4200403.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 98
  • P4200402.JPG
    P4200402.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 89
  • P4200401.JPG
    P4200401.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 84
  • P4200400.JPG
    P4200400.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Heres the pics michael. Engine never skipped a beat, never made a noise, and never gave me a reason to think something besides a bent rod had happened

ad7684c0-2d8a-777a.jpg

ad7684c0-2d9c-9dae.jpg

ad7684c0-2daf-7c94.jpg

Either way, something went through that wasnt suppose to

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I pulled some main bearings out that resembled that remark. A lot of dry start ups will make this condition too (no oil jacket when starting which is where 80% or more of our bearing wear comes from) as well as thinned over temped oil. Hard to say what got it James. Ugly though and this is not what you want to find on a tear down (or worse). I'm working on something for my truck to combat this issue next. I've been told that I'm wasting my time super filtering my oil on top of all this other stuff I'm doing too. :roflmao:
All I can say is, "You cant protect the lower half of the engine and internal enough!"

Last edited:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Here's some pics of the chiller twin nozzles installed. I will be changing the blue for some black nylon tube. This is normally my W/M injection pump. If it works well I will be installing another pump down closer to the cooler and will be running a dedicated 6gal tank from the bed (slide in camper wont allow anything bigger :(). Hopefully this will keep the oil temps within reason when boogying up some of the passes. Truck is 8K, camper at 5K, Boat at 7K, + mere mortals and gear. Fingers are crossed.
P4210410.JPG

P4210408.JPG

Attachments

• P4210410.JPG
    P4210410.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 161
  • P4210408.JPG
    P4210408.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Made a HARD run up the hill the other day without the load. It was 85*F out and 70*F when I got to the top at the Genesee turn off. This was done with the ducting but NO water spray. The oil temp got to 214*F max and that was pushing it WAY hard too. I LIKE IT! Now hopefully the SD chiller (w/m sprayer and nozzles) will keep the load temps down (it dumps about 1gal in 3 mins). I've decided to go with 2 4gal tanks which will have one in front of each rear wheel well in the bed so I can put my camper or whatever else in there. I'm also spraying one of my chillers in the intake (w/m set up with 1 nozzle and just water) and it uses an independent pump which I did use on the hill. This also helps with keeping the EGTs down. I have the switch set for this at 25psi. When it comes on, the boost jumps from 25-26psi to 35psi+ suddenly. EGTs don't go down they just stop rising or do so VERY slowly. So both pumps will be drawing from the two tanks which they will be connected together with a Tee. The heat of summer is coming.

Also, this next week I'm planning on installing the 2 coolers I was using on the LB7 in the LLY (2 stock 5 speed trans coolers). We'll see what we end up with.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
good deal!! Brandons cooler just isnt gunna work in the truck. while i was flushing the trans yesterday i was measuring, thinking, measuring again, thinkin some more and it just wont work and still look good at the same time.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I did my first real testing this weekend, not a huge hill but had the camper on and small trailer with 2 quads. Outside air temp was around 60 F.

I was surprised by how much the temp fluctuated up and down, some glances the oil temp was down 20 degrees from the previous check, still climbing hard. It seemed like 40F up, 20F down, 40F up etc.

I saw 275F but the gauge recorded a max of 287F :eek:

I let it go that high because I know it's had it worse before the gauge, and I was just cresting the hill. That will be the last time, cooler should be on for May Long.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure

Ouch! Thanks for the info on this.

I made an interesting observation today during miles and miles of super slow stop and go traffic. It was only about 75-77*F out but the oil temps were real low (160s) till I got back up to speed. ECT were at 175*F.

I ended up plumbing the W/M intake nozzle to the front cooler nozzles and the whole set up is triggered at 20psi because this is usually around the boost I'm pulling going up the grades or passing (frequently it's more though but I'm not a dare devil with it either when towing). I changed the front cooler nozzles to 5ml each and kept the intake nozzle at 10ml. The pressure from the pump is still at 150psi when firing all nozzles. I did this because I know the oil temps start to climb as soon as the EGTs really take off. I'll see how this pans out and how well it controls the two temps together.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I did my first real testing this weekend, not a huge hill but had the camper on and small trailer with 2 quads. Outside air temp was around 60 F.

I was surprised by how much the temp fluctuated up and down, some glances the oil temp was down 20 degrees from the previous check, still climbing hard. It seemed like 40F up, 20F down, 40F up etc.

I let it go that high because I know it's had it worse before the gauge, and I was just cresting the hill. That will be the last time, cooler should be on for May Long.

not helping me look forward to my trip at the end of the month. just picked this up yesterday for a steal
5Nb5G35M13Lf3I33H3c4u4fc0a1603ad61ccf.jpg

glanced at the door sticker on it and its 6500lbs unloaded. add 100 gal of water, 3k for my samurai, tools, camping gear, food, ect. and ill be rollin around the 11k mark before the 7500lbs truck gets hooked on. guess ill have to keep my foot out of it :(

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
not helping me look forward to my trip at the end of the month. just picked this up yesterday for a steal
5Nb5G35M13Lf3I33H3c4u4fc0a1603ad61ccf.jpg

glanced at the door sticker on it and its 6500lbs unloaded. add 100 gal of water, 3k for my samurai, tools, camping gear, food, ect. and ill be rollin around the 11k mark before the 7500lbs truck gets hooked on. guess ill have to keep my foot out of it :(

Nice James!

Take it to a certified scale to weigh it. Bet its a bit more. Mine was almost 1100 lbs off and it slides in the bed. It states on the capacity plate it is 3060 from the factory with so much propane, water and such. When I took it to the scale I found out it was 4150 lbs with NOTHING in it AND empty tanks. The propane bottles wen't in it either! I think they state the base weight with the standard aluminum siding. The fiberglass adds A LOT.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Nice James!

Take it to a certified scale to weigh it. Bet its a bit more. Mine was almost 1100 lbs off and it slides in the bed. It states on the capacity plate it is 3060 from the factory with so much propane, water and such. When I took it to the scale I found out it was 4150 lbs with NOTHING in it AND empty tanks. The propane bottles wen't in it either! I think they state the base weight with the standard aluminum siding. The fiberglass adds A LOT.

Yeah i have to get some tires on it before i go anywhere. they are the original 2002 tires (trailer is an 03). it definitly feels like there is more than 6500 back there. you KNOW its back there without the load levelers on it.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I know the oil temps start to climb as soon as the EGTs really take off. .

Only time I saw oil temps reall sky rocket towing a truck to Mike L's was when I was in 4th gear going around 2600rpm's egt's were around 950-1000 but oil temps went to 225. Shift up a gear to 2200-2300 and egts went up to 1100 and oil temps dropped to 200.

from what I have gathered, you either have high(er) egt's while pulling a hill, or high(er) oil temps. take out some rpm, and either will go up or down.