Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Keep pondering. This is how we improve it all. We need to get outside of conventional thinking here. Like for instance, I still think you should mount cooler on top of the cab. You can mount a really BIG one on that camper! Just use quick connects.

:stirthepot2:

Lmao, yes, yes i could as well as carry about an extra 20 quarts of oil on top of the factory 10 quarts. Ill keep on thinkin though. My mind never stops on this kind of stuff. Just keeps turnin and wonderin.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I got it! You can go inconspicuous! Ultimate winter/summer set up. Just put it in the passenger floor board with extra hose. Who ever is riding shot gun can hold it out the window when it gets hot (they will need oven mitts or welding gloves though). Winter it would help with defrosting inside!

I like helping!

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Micheal, is there another setup that could be used instead of needing to do a water spray setup just to keep oil cool under high abuse? Maybe a larger water to oil cooler combined with air to oil cooler? Id do the tank setup but refilling something like that isnt my cup of tea. Im one of those that will deal with the "low washerfluid" light for months on end. My dad has a water to oil cooler on his sand car thats pretty big, ill have to get part number for it for more info but id like to keep the cooling of the oil held to a good temp without much of my input if that makes sense. Maintence free is always nice.

What about using this auxilliary oil to water cooler with a seperate cooling system like some air to water intercooler setups use? Not sure if this would have any advantage over the air to oil set up though? maybe at lower speeds, but I would guess the air to oil set up would be superior at interstate speeds.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Micheal, I run up the same pass about six to seven times a year. Just with my single 66 (possibly a 71) turbo, a 12 foot drop in camper, and a small four wheeler trailer. I've been following this thread deeply and was just curious on your opinion if I should invest in an external cooler or not. I don't haul much after that and not planning on twins either. I know Eisenhower pass is harsh on all of our vehicles and we definitly push 65+ constantly up it haha.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Micheal, I run up the same pass about six to seven times a year. Just with my single 66 (possibly a 71) turbo, a 12 foot drop in camper, and a small four wheeler trailer. I've been following this thread deeply and was just curious on your opinion if I should invest in an external cooler or not. I don't haul much after that and not planning on twins either. I know Eisenhower pass is harsh on all of our vehicles and we definitly push 65+ constantly up it haha.

We'll, one of the guys here just made a run up to Laramie, WY. without the cooler on his LLY ( I know, a little different but it had the 2500lb camper on it and an empty 12x7 ATV trailer) and the average temp just cruising up I-25 was between 230-240*F:eek:. Not many hills besides a few rollers on that run and NO mountain passes! There was a little bit of head wind though. It will be getting the coolers soon. You can come check mine out anytime if you like Dustin. I would get a good oil temp gauge first and at min to keep thing in check if you don't have one yet. I can help you out if you need. I'm just down in Thornton.

Last edited:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Damn I would believe that. I'll put the temp gauge on top of the list of things to do once I get my trans back together. When the old girl is up and running I'd definitely like to come check out the setup and more than likely get one put on.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What about using this auxilliary oil to water cooler with a seperate cooling system like some air to water intercooler setups use? Not sure if this would have any advantage over the air to oil set up though? maybe at lower speeds, but I would guess the air to oil set up would be superior at interstate speeds.

thought about that as well but then where are you gunna put the radiator for the water that is now cooling the oil? your back to adding another cooler the front as well now too.

i would still add one. on my way up to flagstaff this past weekend in 95* weather i could watch my oil PSI drop as i would pull the hills unloaded! now, my oil PSI is still way better than my truck ever had back when i had a stock motor. on a flat road i cruised at 1900 rpm (75mph) and oil PSI was 55-60. hit a long hill (6% grades here) and could watch it drop to 50 on all our hills, even the 10 mile long one with varying graded outside of camp verde towards flagstaff. all the hills i stayed at 75mph and 5th gear locked in.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
You got that oil temp gauge in yet James? Your gana need it with that trailer. I'd plan on taking my time with it to keep everything safe and I would use synthetics just for the safety factor at this point. Your reg petro oils may get the additives broke down if it's warm out and/or it will probably drive you nuts trying to go slow enough to keep it in check. Don't worry. It will still break in just fine. Like I said before, that's what your dry start-ups are for.

Yea, Dustin. I'd plan the big picture of installing a cooler. The gauge will be just as important too though. I'd definitely like to get a gauge on as soon as your ready. Need another truck around here with some good input.

Just looked at a Diesel Power Mag for a high power tow rig. They talk about cooling with a big radiator, water spray, trans temp control, but not a word about helping the oil temps or even checking them. Scarrrrrry.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You got that oil temp gauge in yet James? Your gana need it with that trailer. I'd plan on taking my time with it to keep everything safe and I would use synthetics just for the safety factor at this point. Your reg petro oils may get the additives broke down if it's warm out and/or it will probably drive you nuts trying to go slow enough to keep it in check. Don't worry. It will still break in just fine. Like I said before, that's what your dry start-ups are for.

Yea, Dustin. I'd plan the big picture of installing a cooler.

Just looked at a Diesel Power Mag for a high power tow rig. They talk about cooling with a big radiator, water spray, trans temp control, but not a word about helping the oil temps or even checking them. Scarrrrrry.

No, still no gauge. had to buy some other stuff for the house and sami so the gauge had to wait. truck is parked till the weekend when i get my gauge in and change the oil. ill be running the rotella T6 in her.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Yea, Dustin. I'd plan the big picture of installing a cooler. The gauge will be just as important too though. I'd definitely like to get a gauge on as soon as your ready. Need another truck around here with some good input.

I'd be more than willing to help you out with some runs and tests. I'll probably go ahead and order a gauge today and install it while I'm doing the transmission. On top of that I need to do an oil change. I've just been running regular Rotella 15w-40 since I've owned the truck, so anything particular you would like me to run or test? The week after I get it back on the road more than likely I'll have the camper already in it ready to head up the pass to Kremmeling, CO.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Got the cooler on today, need to go back and fix a few little things but it’s there
I drilled that round tube that is up under the bumper and put some heavy alum angle to mount the cooler to
2012-05-05_14-36-17_200.jpg

I mounted some thin angle to the bottom, the stupid C clamp slipped and I didnt catch it after I drilled so its at an angle and pisses me off every time I see it...
2012-05-06_18-57-32_853.jpg

On the back just did a really simple brace to stop any flexing, the top does all the holding this is just to stop any wind flexing that might go on. just some flat alum bent to go from the bottom of the cooler to that flat plate on the truck
2012-05-06_18-57-48_925.jpg

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
before the oil temps would get up to 210-220 with the AC on empty, now they sit right at 190 the entire time. Have not towed with it yet. After putting it on I did pull my ign relay and just cranked it till the truck built oil pressure. I put about a quart into the cooler before I put the top hose on and it still took a good 50 seconds of cranking to get oil psi. something to think about for you guys putting them on.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I was going to add some braces from the side (that’s why I put that angle along the entire bottom) but I played around with it as is and it’s not going anywhere, I just need to set up some mesh in front of it to keep it safe

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I'd be more than willing to help you out with some runs and tests. I'll probably go ahead and order a gauge today and install it while I'm doing the transmission. On top of that I need to do an oil change. I've just been running regular Rotella 15w-40 since I've owned the truck, so anything particular you would like me to run or test? The week after I get it back on the road more than likely I'll have the camper already in it ready to head up the pass to Kremmeling, CO.

Nothing special needed Dustin. Just run what you normally do for the tests to set a base for yourself. Kremmeling is almost a home away from home for me.

Glad to see the progress and pics Andy. Temps sound good. Keep us updated.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Not sure yet Brian. Preliminary results are saying about 20*F+ on a 75-80*F outside day with moderate use. With heavy use the difference is greater. I have it on the boost pressure, so the more time I spend heavy on the throttle the longer it stays on and the more it sprays and the cooler it runs. More moderate driving and the less it comes on. The nozzle on the intake is 10gph at 100psi rated and the two in on the cooler are 5gph each at 100psi rated. My pumps gauge is reading a little over 150 psi with them all. The cooler nozzles on it alone read about 225psi as does the intake nozzle alone.

I did make a hard run (rollin the coal) up to Genessee the other day and struggled to get it to 204*F with an empty truck. The chiller wasn't coming on as much as it would have with the weight behind it so I'm sure it will vary with use amount. It DOES add some significant cooling assistance though.