Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Alright mister! :stirthepot2:

:angel: :rofl:. So far in these cool temps out here, im seeing 40-45psi at 1800rpm and 30+ at idle. Now, what that translates too for the 03+ trucks i dunno. this is also taking it easy just cruising around town. Hopefully i can get gauges ordered the end of the week.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Ok. I just hauled a 7K trailer up the hill to Genesee (same test as before) but I don't have the cooler hooked up yet (LB7). I wanted to get a base line. I know 7K isn't much, but I think it's about average of what most haul and it's a good line between aerodynamics, and weight. Slide in truck camper and large 5th wheels seem to have a hard time with this because of the crummy aerodynamics (5th wheels even more so because more weight is added). A hard side slide in camper with a heavy boat or trailer behind it represents this as well. Mine was a boat and trailer combo to the tune of 7K even. Here the break down.

Test temp was 60-65*F outside. Held the speed limit (65mph) and kept EGTs at 1250*F or bellow for most all the trip. Just standard cruising down the fwy I was sitting at 200*F oil temp almost all the time once the temp was up in the truck. Coolant temps were 175*F (standard for me). By the time I got to where the hill really starts to go up, I was sitting at 226*F and oil pressure at the journals was 33psi at 2K rpm. The coolant temp was now at 195*F. The oil temps climbed pretty rapidly but the coolant temp stayed at 195*F for the duration of the test. Temps dropped to high 50s out side by the time I got to the top of the hill (Genesee turnoff), and the oil temp was at 243*F and oil pressure at the journals was sitting at 31psi at 2K rpm. Idle was sitting at 13.5psi at this temp. The kicker is this. At 182*F oil temp my pressure is no less than 44psi at 2K rpm at the journals. This is a 13psi drop. :(. Also this hill is by no means in the same league as the West side of Vail pass or the West side of Eisenhower tunnel (bit of a drive for me round trip). The temps held well at the 240s. I had to turn up the DSP5 a level to get it to go much higher, but boy did it when I applied the power. I'm not going to include this info since we shouldn't be towing at this power level but was a testament to me of how hard I've been on it in the past when passing vehicles on the grades. Just remember, the temps were low today. I have no doubt it would have seen north of 250*F oil temps if it would have been 80-90*F outside.

On edit: This was performed using Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40. I will also be repeating this test with the cooler hooked up and the same oil and then doing it again with Schaeffer 9000 5w-40 full synthetic to see the differences. I'm up for any improvements we can have for the life giving fluid of the motor.

Last edited:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Something I found was make sure you guys with the twins/trips watch the return line, mine ran right next to the manifold and it didn’t take long to turn the oil black (oil temp gage wasn't hooked up yet but it went black at 1500 miles) but now that I have some heat shielding oil temps have been staying at/below ect with the truck empty. I also found that there is a big difference in oil PSI from 180 to 200 (idle at 35 PSI vs 25PSI). I now have my pas side plastic liner pulled out to let some airflow over the are of the return line. Thank you guys for looking into this-I'm looking forward to an answer to this problem that doesn't cost so much

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Oh, I was worried, oil pressure gauge was going bonkers, I can see if I still have the pic, this was last summer when OAT's were 110* +

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Ok. Went on another run today with the cooler functioning. Same run but temps were 75*F out side and I ran with the A/C ON (like you would in the heat of summer anyway). I also flogged it some running 75mph most the way with the 7K load. EGTs were running at 1300-1400*F most the way. I pushed it harder than yesterday. Here's the findings.

ECT were at 195*F for the entire trip again pulling the hill. At the same place I was at 226*F yesterday I was at 216*F today. By the time I reached the top of the hill (Genesee) with intermitnt use of the next power level on the DSP5 and stock mode I had managed to get it to 231*F. The oil pressure at the journals was 32psi and the outside temp was 65*F. At this temp the oil pressure at idle was 15.6psi. This tells me I need to finish the ducting to the cooler and set up my chiller to spray it just in case during the heat of summer and when hauling the 21K I usually do up over the passes. I know I said I would like to keep it under 220*F (under 199*F is better). Not sure if I can. Next I will be testing the Schaeffer 9000 5W-40 in the motor. If it helps, I will have egg on my face, and this will be the oil I will use now. I"m up for anything that helps.

Remember. It was hotter out side today, I was using A/C, and I was flogging it a bit (passing nuisance drivers by having to merge with the fast moving traffic). I have no doubt that if I would have been going 55mph and taking it easy, things would have been in far better check. I know some of us on the forum here and friends of mine like to PUSH the traffic up the hill. I by no means do this. I like to flow with traffic. This WILL make a oil temp difference.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
:angel: :rofl:. So far in these cool temps out here, im seeing 40-45psi at 1800rpm and 30+ at idle. Now, what that translates too for the 03+ trucks i dunno. this is also taking it easy just cruising around town. Hopefully i can get gauges ordered the end of the week.

well i retract my prior statment. took a good long drive around town yesterday runnin errands and playin around in the truck. at 1800 im at 55-60psi and at idle im 35psi. this was in 90* weather and truck weights 7500lbs currently. this had many runs at 3/4 throttle on my "tow tune" and two brief WOT runs. coolant was at 195* the whole time.

Now, im almost concerend because ive never seen my truck make that much pressure before under hot conditions. Both turbo feed lines are not restricted, have no "ticking" or other tell tale signs of lack of oil in anything though i have not opened up my oil filter. This is the first time i threw a fram filter on the truck though. maybe their filter element doesnt flow as much as say A/C delco or napas? ive always ran either a napa gold or A/C delco.

BTW Michael, thats good to see its working! do you think a few small, High CFM fans would help any?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Oh i plan on ditching it then.

Got ya. Get some funneling on it and that should make a good differnce

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
So I went back and read most of the post, but where are you guys pulling the oil from and what is used as a thermostat?

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I had a dog named "Bingo".

Yes, this is with the Fluidyne DB-30618. The ducting will be straight forward. I'll do the next test the way it sits to make it fair, then I will do the ducting and spray nozzles to see how low I can keep it with a big load.

Last edited:

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I got mine today :D

The adapter is on its way to you, I'll be in touch regarding payment :hug:

I love this hobby :woott:

Attachments

• DSCN4262.JPG
    DSCN4262.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 102

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Will this cooler work on an lmm?

As long as you have at least 28.5" between frame rails in the front (you will need room for the fittings. I used a -12AN 150* on the passenger side and a -12AN 120* on the drivers side. This depends on the angle your running them back at. You can get away with 90s but you will need another 90 before it goes to the hose running to the oil filter adapter to keep the kinks out.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I got mine today :D

The adapter is on its way to you, I'll be in touch regarding payment :hug:

I love this hobby :woott:

All right! Progress. Framing it up to mount is a pain in the buckets, but you feel good if you do it right.

I'm in the middle of making the brackets for the ducting. It will be all rubber bed mat from the front bumper to the cooler (nothing to crumple the cooler in the event of something ugly happening). Framing around the sides and lower half of the cooler and the same for the bumper. Then the mat bolted to the frames. I'll get pics when I'm done and the chiller spray nozzles will be ready to put the chill on it too. I'm putting a bug screen across the whole thing that snaps in place to keep the bugs from packing it up (using window screen). A cold front will snap on in it's place in the winter time with a couple of vents in it I can open or close. Hopefully it will work ok.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
Still have this guy if someone would like to shoot me an offer..

It would work well for guys with custom bumper (James), or are in need of additional protection for their twins (James), or built motor (James)...

:D