DougSmith

I would like to post a few things about why a certain oil will operate cooler than another oil in the same truck pulling the same load on the same road.
First, Base stocks. Most of the Petro based oils on the market today for under $8 or so, are mostly a form a Napthenic base stock and they add a little low refined Paraffinic base stocks. This keeps the cost down, and it also will meet any of today's Specs for oils under OEM requirements and API ratings. Some more that cost a little more, may add some more Paraffin base to them, but still not the greatest of base stocks. Others for a little more add some Synthetic base stock to them and call them a blend, but still, you have the majority of the base stocks are VERY low quality.

Why is it important? because 80% of the stuff in that bottle is BASE stock, that is why. Higher refined based stocks are resistant to thermal breakdown and dissipate heat much faster than lower quality. The higher the base stock is refined, the more heat it can take without breaking down. 100% PURE Paraffin base stocks is what is used in most of Schaeffer's engine oils. These highly refined base stocks are resistant to heat break down up to 500 degrees. That means that 80% of that stuff in the bottle will last up to 500 degrees. WOW! Am I the only one that would see why that is a BENEFIT?

Ok, that leaves 20% for the additives that make it a 5w-40 or a 15w-40 or whatever. It is also what makes it a diesel oil or a gas oil. Some of these additives are friction modifiers like PTFE, Molybdenum etc and some are detergents and others are dispersant's and some are just a waste of space to make the oil company profit more by adding useless stuff to the bottle.

In Schaeffer's oils, one of the Friction modifiers can be purchased over the counter called Penetro 90. It is a highly refined oil based friction modifier that LOVES heat and also LOVES metal. It will attach itself to hot moving parts and lubricate it even when the base stocks viscosity has been sheered.
Another one of the additives in Schaeffer's is Molybdenum. It is known to be the hardest and slick substance on Earth. It has an affinity for metal and when a little heat and pressure is added to Moly, it will plate itself to the metal parts in an engine and remove all friction from metal parts. It creates these slippage planes where when oil has been sheered away, like in HEAVY TOWING OR HIGH HEAT conditions, the Moly is there to keep metal from touch metal. Combine that with the Penetro that also loves heat and is also a Lubricant, there are 2 additives in Schaeffer's oils that protect an engine from friction of parts and disperse heat.

Moly was tested for years by NASA and was found to be the a substance that disperses heat. Anything that has moly plated on it, and then gets hot, the moly transfers the heat away from that part on to other parts it touches. So in an engine, those points are Bearings, rings, valves and the heat they generate is transferred to the oil and to the block where the water cooling system can do its job. NASA used Moly in the heat shields of all their capsules to transfer heat so that our astronauts returned home without burning up. Texaco also did a 5 year long test testing HUNDREDS of additives to lubricants and said that Moly was the best additive that could be used in oils, but yet Texaco does not have Moly in any of their lubricants. It is expensive to put moly in an oil and only a very select few can make Soluble Moly, like Schaeffer's has so it does no plug up oil filters.

I wont get into full synthetics, there are a couple of types of those, and not worth the time.

I Schaeffer's 9000 5w 40, full synthetic, to be tested by super diesel in his setup. First, it is not financially motivated by me, he got $100 worth of oil on my ticket, and I will not gain anything with the results other than this: I am a new Schaeffer Rep in WV. I was so impressed with Schaeffer's and all the people I met prior to deciding to be a rep, that I felt like I needed to do something to help the people in my life save money on their equipment. So if I could send Mike some oil and he found out that it is junk, it is not too late for me to quit working for Schaeffer's. I am proving the oils everyday in my own truck. It had 200,000 miles on it when I "Schaefferized" it and now at almost 10,000 miles, it runs better than it did when I bought it. I am even using the fuel treatment too. LOL.

Once Mike finishes his testing, I will either still work for a great company that has some of the best people I have ever associated with, or I will be unemployed like I was in December before I decided to do this. Let me just say, I am not worried about having to resign. I have seen simply AMAZING results with a few of my fist customers that had some EXTREME equipment to prove it in. One company was spending $20,000 every six months replacing a water pump parts at a mine and now we are into month 5 with no signs of issues, when before, at 2 weeks they started having to work on this pump weekly, then daily and finally burning it up. Since they put it in service with Schaeffer's gear lube, it has not been touched yet since Feb 2, and on July 2nd, when that pump is still operating, that company will save $20,000 PLUS.

Have fun, this is going to be interesting.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
I would like to post a few things about why a certain oil will operate cooler than another oil in the same truck pulling the same load on the same road.
First, Base stocks. Most of the Petro based oils on the market today for under $8 or so, are mostly a form a Napthenic base stock and they add a little low refined Paraffinic base stocks. This keeps the cost down, and it also will meet any of today's Specs for oils under OEM requirements and API ratings. Some more that cost a little more, may add some more Paraffin base to them, but still not the greatest of base stocks. Others for a little more add some Synthetic base stock to them and call them a blend, but still, you have the majority of the base stocks are VERY low quality.

Why is it important? because 80% of the stuff in that bottle is BASE stock, that is why. Higher refined based stocks are resistant to thermal breakdown and dissipate heat much faster than lower quality. The higher the base stock is refined, the more heat it can take without breaking down. 100% PURE Paraffin base stocks is what is used in most of Schaeffer's engine oils. These highly refined base stocks are resistant to heat break down up to 500 degrees. That means that 80% of that stuff in the bottle will last up to 500 degrees. WOW! Am I the only one that would see why that is a BENEFIT?

Ok, that leaves 20% for the additives that make it a 5w-40 or a 15w-40 or whatever. It is also what makes it a diesel oil or a gas oil. Some of these additives are friction modifiers like PTFE, Molybdenum etc and some are detergents and others are dispersant's and some are just a waste of space to make the oil company profit more by adding useless stuff to the bottle.

In Schaeffer's oils, one of the Friction modifiers can be purchased over the counter called Penetro 90. It is a highly refined oil based friction modifier that LOVES heat and also LOVES metal. It will attach itself to hot moving parts and lubricate it even when the base stocks viscosity has been sheered.
Another one of the additives in Schaeffer's is Molybdenum. It is known to be the hardest and slick substance on Earth. It has an affinity for metal and when a little heat and pressure is added to Moly, it will plate itself to the metal parts in an engine and remove all friction from metal parts. It creates these slippage planes where when oil has been sheered away, like in HEAVY TOWING OR HIGH HEAT conditions, the Moly is there to keep metal from touch metal. Combine that with the Penetro that also loves heat and is also a Lubricant, there are 2 additives in Schaeffer's oils that protect an engine from friction of parts and disperse heat.

Moly was tested for years by NASA and was found to be the a substance that disperses heat. Anything that has moly plated on it, and then gets hot, the moly transfers the heat away from that part on to other parts it touches. So in an engine, those points are Bearings, rings, valves and the heat they generate is transferred to the oil and to the block where the water cooling system can do its job. NASA used Moly in the heat shields of all their capsules to transfer heat so that our astronauts returned home without burning up. Texaco also did a 5 year long test testing HUNDREDS of additives to lubricants and said that Moly was the best additive that could be used in oils, but yet Texaco does not have Moly in any of their lubricants. It is expensive to put moly in an oil and only a very select few can make Soluble Moly, like Schaeffer's has so it does no plug up oil filters.

I wont get into full synthetics, there are a couple of types of those, and not worth the time.

I Schaeffer's 9000 5w 40, full synthetic, to be tested by super diesel in his setup. First, it is not financially motivated by me, he got $100 worth of oil on my ticket, and I will not gain anything with the results other than this: I am a new Schaeffer Rep in WV. I was so impressed with Schaeffer's and all the people I met prior to deciding to be a rep, that I felt like I needed to do something to help the people in my life save money on their equipment. So if I could send Mike some oil and he found out that it is junk, it is not too late for me to quit working for Schaeffer's. I am proving the oils everyday in my own truck. It had 200,000 miles on it when I "Schaefferized" it and now at almost 10,000 miles, it runs better than it did when I bought it. I am even using the fuel treatment too. LOL.

Once Mike finishes his testing, I will either still work for a great company that has some of the best people I have ever associated with, or I will be unemployed like I was in December before I decided to do this. Let me just say, I am not worried about having to resign. I have seen simply AMAZING results with a few of my fist customers that had some EXTREME equipment to prove it in. One company was spending $20,000 every six months replacing a water pump parts at a mine and now we are into month 5 with no signs of issues, when before, at 2 weeks they started having to work on this pump weekly, then daily and finally burning it up. Since they put it in service with Schaeffer's gear lube, it has not been touched yet since Feb 2, and on July 2nd, when that pump is still operating, that company will save $20,000 PLUS.

Have fun, this is going to be interesting.

i know micheal, and with the way he is starting to talk about this oil, i may switch now too!

2 things: when the outside air gets warm/hot wouldnt a heavier weight oil be better? ie 5-40 or 15-40

doug, you know anything about brad penn oil?

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i know micheal, and with the way he is starting to talk about this oil, i may switch now too!

2 things: when the outside air gets warm/hot wouldnt a heavier weight oil be better? ie 5-40 or 15-40

You will love the schaeffers! I run the #705 supreme 7000 20w50racing oil in my puller for the last 3 seasons. Just pulled pulled the valve covers to change injectors. The engine is spotless! Brad penn is good oil. I have tested the bradpeenn and cenpeco against my schaeffers. Once you really start to apply heat and friction the schaeffers leaves the others in the dust. Like I said good oil, just not schaeffers good!

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure

I'm sure Doug will chime in Jeremy but from what I know the 15W-40 is the same as 5W-40 would be when it's hot. This is denoted by the 40 on the multi weight grading. It's the 5W that I also like better than the 15W. The 5W will flow better on start up on cold winter mornings (or any time it gets down in the lower temps). When you put the oil temp gauge in Jeremy, watch your temps for a while. Then if you switch to this Schaeffer 9000 keep track of the temps and see what happens after about 300-400 miles. I'm working on getting another truck tested with this stuff to back up my findings and to prove it out. We need some other Myth Busters still though Jeremy. What do we have to loose if it works even half as well as my findings have displayed for me?

Great info Curtis. Thanks man. :thumb:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Might go to this stuff on my next oil change. I don't pull a lot, but running the trips on the track makes a lot of heat fast. The oil cooler is great for keeping the overall temps down, but I'd hate to see what the temp of the oil is off the turbos. You can see the oil temp gage jump around after a hard run as it picks up pockets of the hot oil from it.

DougSmith

All oils are decent oils.

The only things that makes Schaeffers the best at controlling heat is the Moly, the Penetro 90 and the finest base stocks money can buy. All 3 combined with 175 years experience makes for a bad ass oil!
If you change all those oils frequently, most issues are eliminated, but isnt Moble, Chevron and Shell already making enough money? With Schaeffer's, you can have superior protection at 3 to 5 times the drain interval and not compromise your engines, tranny or diffs. That is the point. Superior protection at a huge savings of our hard earned money.

Yes oil is 40 wt when at operating temperature. The 5wt simply cuts down the full lube time for the engine on start up. The cool thing about the Moly is that you never again have a dry engine, metal to metal startup, so immediately you stop 80% of all engine wear. Schaeffer's does not claim that, Texaco said it for us in their multi million dollar study. It confirmed what Schaeffers has been doing for decades.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I hope my oil temp gauge gets here before I drive down to Idaho/Nevada. I plan on running the last of my shell syn. 5-40 on the way down with no cooler. Switch to the Schaffer's in the states & install the cooler (cough cough Brandon:D)for the trip home lots of nice hills coming down & going back up. Should make for some good extended testing. I'll make the kids watch and record temps. coming down and going home. The Spek gauge with it's peak playback feature is going to be real handy.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I hope my oil temp gauge gets here before I drive down to Idaho/Nevada. I plan on running the last of my shell syn. 5-40 on the way down with no cooler. Switch to the Schaffer's in the states & install the cooler (cough cough Brandon:D)for the trip home lots of nice hills coming down & going back up. Should make for some good extended testing. I'll make the kids watch and record temps. coming down and going home. The Spek gauge with it's peak playback feature is going to be real handy.

This should provide some good info for you. Are you hauling anything down?

During the Diesel Power Challenge economy test I was riding shot gun with John Kennedy of www.kennedydiesel.com. I watch the SPA oil temp gauge quite often (which I would like to comment on as being a extremely nice gauge set that you can get from him and I would recommend). We took the hwy I test my oil temps on. Coming up the west side of Eisenhower tunnel the oil temps only got to 199*F right before we entered the tunnel. We were unloaded, it was about 55-60*F outside and we were doing about 55-60mph only for the economy test (he was taking it VERY easy). If we saw this temp in these conditions, how would it be haulin heavy and pushing?

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Maybe a 27' enclosed with sleds, wheelers & a tool box etc etc. My friend is moving out of state so I might drag his trailer to Idaho. Not sure Im going to like what that oil gauge does....:( Might switch to Schaffers before I leave if I do pull it.

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I would like to expand on what Doug Smith said about napthenic vs paraphenic base stocks that schaeffers uses. The napthenic base stocks that almost all large oil companies use to blend engine oils, is out of convenience not performance. Napthenic base stocks are known for their volatlity which is great for producing fuels such as diesel and gasoline. Consequently most engine oils are produced using the by products of the fuel refining process. What does this all mean? Well big oil companies are using a base stock that is much more willing to oxidize in your crank case leading to oil break down. The pure paraphin base stocks which I believe accounts for less than 1 percent of every barrel refined, is ideal for lubriction not COMBUSTION. This along with the moly,penetro, zinc, and other additives schaeffers uses makes for a better oil. I would also like to explain the difference between synthetics and parasynthics. Synthetics(9000 series oils) as advertised are a pure synthetic stock. They are very slippery due to the near perfect molecular structure. This great for fuel economy. This is also a detriment to what and how much of an additive package that can be used. The parasynthetics (7000 series oils) have the best that both stocks have to offer. The super slick synthetic molecules pared with the paraphin molecule that readily bonds with the additive package. These oils are able to carry a much higher amount of E.P. Additive making a superior oil in severe/extreme applications. Hopefully this helps clear up some questions about the 2 different types of oils they produce.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
oil temp gauge in and t6 oil swapped in. oil pressure still sits at 55psi at 1800 rpm and 190* oil temp. holds about 25-30psi at idle same temp. :confused:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Sounds about right for those temps. Good pressure. Your pressure at the journal would be around 7-8psi less on the LB7. Mine reads lower because of the opened up main bearings and the oil squirters being about double the flow. Also my charger that I'm using is a journal bearing being fed with a -6AN line and my oil purifier which is feed from a .045 passage. I can only imagine what it would be if I had 3 journal bearing chargers to feed. Yours has a stock turbo fed by a journal bearing turbo right? Do you have anything else out of the ordinary consuming some oil pressure?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sounds about right for those temps. Good pressure. Your pressure at the journal would be around 7-8psi less on the LB7. Mine reads lower because of the opened up main bearings and the oil squirters being about double the flow. Also my charger that I'm using is a journal bearing being fed with a -6AN line and my oil purifier which is feed from a .045 passage. I can only imagine what it would be if I had 3 journal bearing chargers to feed. Yours has a stock turbo fed by a journal bearing turbo right? Do you have anything else out of the ordinary consuming some oil pressure?

yup, stock charger over a s475 journal bearing charger. using a moblie one oil filter now, oil drain back for the big turbo goes through the valve cover instead of the oil pan though. not sure what size line my feed is but id put it around a -6 or so as well. maybe a -4. nothing else feeds off the factory oil system. these pressures are noticably higher than what i was running stock though. Socal did the machine work on it and we did a line hone for the new ARP mainstuds. clearances were set the same as stock. ive gained about 10psi over what i was running before. might have been a warning i never realized till i bent the rods. im sure that gouged up main and rod bearing didnt help any