super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I ordered mine. Could you post some pics of your cooler so I can start dreaming of how to mount it? :hug:

I ordered the 120 degree push lock fittings to come off the adapter and O-ring fittings to fit -12 AN hose so everything will be that size. Is there clearance issues or any other reason why you went to -10 AN?

I'm running -12AN now to the bigger cooler. The reason I used -10AN was because they were off of a Tee that a -12AN fed then off each side it went to -10AN to each cooler.

I just got the cooler mounted in last night (to many dang projects going at the same time). I had to totally remove the bumper to get it fliped over to weld in some mounting rails. Yours won't mount the same because my bumper is different. You'll have to just try it in there and see what can be done and duct it (lower valence directing air to it may need opened up some). I haven't done it to the LLY yet so I'm not sure how it will end up. You will have to chalk it up in the correct location then make brackets. You will then see what kind of end fittings (-12AN) you will need to get the oil to and from it with minimal bending. I'll get some pics, but it's not finished yet (fittings and ducting). They probably won't do you much good. It's on a 30* angle in there (not quite like the skid plate but same direction and well protected).

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
May I ask why you wish to keep the oil temps under 220F? FWIW here at work during a torture test we raise the oil pan temps to 275-285F for 250hrs. Post oil cooler (oil rifle) temps are usually ~250F with coolant temps hitting 230F. You'd be surprised at how well the inside looks during a tear down for what the engine has been through. I'll let you in on a secret, what we have found during tear downs and increasing the oil temps is that when the oil temps in the rifle raise above 255F is when the oil starts coking on the underside of the piston when it comes out of the cooling nozzle...

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
May I ask why you wish to keep the oil temps under 220F?

Oil additives start to break down at this point and I want to protect from that. I chose to not run my oil at the upper end constantly (ride the prayer). It's what keeps these trucks functioning and keeps thermal break down at bay. There are many research studies to prove this point. Spun bearings from the dawn of the automobile have also clued us into this as well (I'm sure it has caused quite a few on our trucks too). Even the Nazis learned this fact from WWII when they really started to help further development of synthetics (it raises thermal break down point only so much though) other wise they wouldn't have been developed. Maybe there a little better today. That's what I'll be researching myself here in about a week or two.

Like I stated above. Watch the "Duramax LLY Overheating" on You Tube. Look at the oil pressure gauge at about the 18min mark. High oil temps do this (thin out). And as I stated earlier, the hotter the oil the thinner it is thus easier to mash it out of the bearing journals and lack of oil jacket allowing metal to metal contact.

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
See lots of problems in that video, oil pressure was HIGHEST at ~40psi at 2700rpm :eek:.

1. Guy talks too much, STFU and record the gauges and laptop
2. Wonder how long he was driving at 250* coolant temp
3. Trans was a bit warm but 220* or so isnt the red zone
4. Wonder whatt oil temps were... :eek:
5. :rofl: engine bouncing off rev limiter at 2000rpm and seems like he has his foot buried in the throttle.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
At 250F on the coolant, I would guess the oil temps were over 300F :spit:. On a light duty engine like these, the oil coolers aren't good enough for those conditions (as you already know, and are working on), keep up the good work!

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I got a video of my oil and coolant temps. yesterday. Im confused a little bit here because my oil temps are running cooler than my coolant temps. I know for sure the probe is in the correct location because brian sent me a picture of where his was and that is exactly where i put mine. I put it on the topside of the oil filter housing in the spot where the BIG 10mm allen head plug/screw came out. I can take a picture if needed but is something wrong super diesel? This is what the temps read EVERY time i drive it.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArGDa0wuEHQ

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Congrats! You have a gauge in there now that's one of the most important additional gauges you'll ever need (that and EGT). Sure sounds like you have it measuring the temps in the right spot. I hope it's reading accurate. If your just loping down a nice smooth flat road with no load on a cool day, your oil temps should match the coolant temp since that's whats controlling it's temp (it has no other form of cooling without an external cooler). My coolant temps are always around 175*F and my oil temp reads about 10*F higher once it's up to temp just crusing without the cooler at about 185*f or so (with the coolers it's about 170-180*F constant as the T stat opens and closes). Do you haul any loads anytime and during the heat of summer? This is where the test will come in and things change. Throw in some hill climbing and it's a guarantee.

Tried taking some pics of the new cooler set up and the camera is on the fritz I guess. Couldn't get it to focus. I'll try again.

Last edited:

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
No i do not even have a trailer hitch on my truck so towing is out of the question. I was looking at getting a ext. oil cooler just to protect the motor after i installed the twins but it really looks like I'm going to be ok since i do not tow anything with the truck and Ohio is all flatlands! Just wanted to show you a clip of what it looks like with the twins etc..

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
O'k, got a few goofy pics to put up. P4150392.JPG

P4150391.JPG

P4150390.JPG

P4150389.JPG

P4150388.JPG

Trucks had a hard well used life. It's not perfect any more. After I'm done, I'm going to have the whole front bumper stripped and have a tough liner put on it. Some pics are the mounts. Also, I will be adding some ducting (truck rubber bed mat) to the bottom and sides to direct the air flow to maximize the cooling to it.

Attachments

• P4150392.JPG
    P4150392.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 132
  • P4150391.JPG
    P4150391.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 132
  • P4150390.JPG
    P4150390.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 130
  • P4150389.JPG
    P4150389.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 139
  • P4150388.JPG
    P4150388.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 135

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sweet. Ill be ordering my oil temp gauge as well as others here soon to see how she does up our big hills here. Got a trip over memorial day im haulin about 8k trailer weight to cotton wood ( hits verde and black canyon city hill which are 6% grades and about 5-7 miles long). Im interested to see how warm she gets with my heavy foot. Cooler will be ordered soon after and ill need to get an adaptor from ya mike :D

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Here is a profile of our hill. In 25 miles it climbs from 1000' to 4500' with grades to 8.5%. Not nearly as high as Eisenhower but still steep.

I'm trying to keep oil temps in check pulling around 18,000 lbs GCVWR (total including truck). Last year the pressure dropped, hopefully do better this year.

Has anyone considered misting the oil cooler or is that asking for trouble? http://www.haydenauto.com/New Products-Radiator Mist System/Content.aspx

Attachments

• Hwy 5 Coquihalla Pass grade-profile.pdf
    39.1 KB · Views: 15

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Here is a profile of our hill. In 25 miles it climbs from 1000' to 4500' with grades to 8.5%. Not nearly as high as Eisenhower but still steep.

I'm trying to keep oil temps in check pulling around 18,000 lbs GCVWR (total including truck). Last year the pressure dropped, hopefully do better this year.

Has anyone considered misting the oil cooler or is that asking for trouble? http://www.haydenauto.com/New Products-Radiator Mist System/Content.aspx

That should present a good test. Your temp gauge will be in right?

I though about misting on mine if my oil temps gets too high for the external cooler to handle (got the pump in and on standby). However this can't be done on the truck with only a stock heat exchanger (it's all internal). Good thinking though. I will be using windshield washer fluid (it's one of my Chiller W/M kits I still have with twin 15ml nozzles).