super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Plan on 15 gpm at 3200 rpm, Mike. -10 is not enough if expected to handle full flow without excessive restriction.

Agreed. I had this in mind when I modded the adapter so that 1/4 of the oil could still flow through the factory oil cooler if it needs. The new ones will be able to do about 1/3 or slightly more at full open on the T-stat. I'don't want any restrictions at any stage of the cooling.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I got my temp gauge installed. I remembered my BD monitor had a third option so I went with that. Without entirely endorsing them, this is a nice set up with memory for max values.

Now to order a cooler...

Attachments

• Gauges1.jpg
    Gauges1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 170

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I got my temp gauge installed. I remembered my BD monitor had a third option so I went with that. Without entirely endorsing them, this is a nice set up with memory for max values.

Now to order a cooler...

That's a good set up there.

Where does that sensor read from?

Correct.

Every one needs to keep in mind that if ALL the oil is directed to the cooler/coolers, the lines needs to be a min of -12AN (plus the coolers must be able to flow this without restrictions as well. With the modded adapter I use, it only directs the needed amount and never makes a restriction in the cooler/coolers or the full flow oil filter and -10AN can be utilized.

Also, as noted the aftermarket journal bearing (non-water cooled) turbos are driving temps higher than the water cooled counter part. Be it one, two or more. However the more you have, the higher it can drive temps (the oil is cooling the center section so this gets dumped back to the pan).

This is becoming far more apparent to me with towing of course by head and shoulders. I'm seeing that if your towing much around (2k-4k) it's not terrible unless your hitting hills. The temp goes up and has a difficult time coming back down. When towing 5K+ I would seriously look into adding this and realize it's a very important upgrade that should be taken seriously. Being that I'm at 5K elevation and above all the time, and I'm up and down the mountain passes loaded and empty most the time, it has come into it's own for me. Major differences. Frankly I'm astonished that I only cooked one motor to date (main bearing) with the temps I was seeing with as little as running empty weight, let alone loaded.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've been keeping a closer eye on my oil temps lately. With the temps we've been seeing lately (low 70s to low 80s), I've been seeing around 210 degrees when cruising at 70 to 75 mph. When I get into town and slow down to 50 or slower, the temps drop about 20 degrees fairly quickly to around 190.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Where does that sensor read from?

Check the pic :thumb:

I would have liked the 1/8NPT sensor to protrude through the 1/2 NPT adapter more but forgot my tap to chase it out.

Heads up for others - the pretty anodized ricer fittings are NOT conductive, insist on brass.

Attachments

• Oil Cooler Port.jpg
    Oil Cooler Port.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 181

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I've been keeping a closer eye on my oil temps lately. With the temps we've been seeing lately (low 70s to low 80s), I've been seeing around 210 degrees when cruising at 70 to 75 mph. When I get into town and slow down to 50 or slower, the temps drop about 20 degrees fairly quickly to around 190.

Is this loaded or unloaded Josh? Flat ground or up and downs, both?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

Now to order a cooler...

thats just a disply correct? and what are they worth? also does it record or just display the peak value

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
thats just a disply correct? and what are they worth? also does it record or just display the peak value

Its a $500 gauge that does pyro and boost and then you can pick your third; pressure, temp, level or W.H.Y.

It only records the peak.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So besides running the expensive killerbee setup, what other cooler would get us close to what that cooler can do? i wouldnt be able to run that cooler even if i wanted to due to the bumper i have. id personally like to run something that mounted to the skid plate of my bumper, then it would have all the air in the world. i have alot of surface area to work with on that. Its gotta be pretty efficiant though since im not an easy driver and will be hauling loads between 11k-15k (trailer and load only, doesnt include truck). i dont think the two stock trans coolers will work well enough for me based on what im see in your temps at mike. 110* with the loads i have, my "areodynamic" rig, and 500hp probably wont go over well.

a fuel and trans cooler will soon be following after this :D

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I will be a tick over 20K when I'm loaded this summer James and about as aerodynamic as a barn as well. We will see how they do. I'll add another if needed (don't believe I will though) and pressure drop is still a problem. I would make some room for them anyway James and if it needs more,,,, than it can be done or a different cooler can be put there. I think they will surprise you. My oil gets hot much faster for me the higher elevation I go it seems and especially when there's no external cooler. Maybe the same principle as water boiling at lower temps the higher you go? I thought temp was temp. Anyway, with the temp gauge James you can at least keep them in check before potential damage happens (or worse). Your lower valence could maybe be adaptable? You'll be surprised to see the plans I have for the LLY with the stock front bumper. It would probably be wise to do a stronger front skid plate if you plan on running it there (1/4-5/16" thick aluminum with a screen grate).

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
hooked up my isspro oil temp gauge yesterday....after about 2 hrs of beating on it on some back roads, the highest I saw was 210 degrees, and 190 degrees water temp, lowest oil pressure was at 210 degrees ~35 psi....this is with CenPeCo 20w-50 and about a 750hp tune. I didn't even hook my electric fans up because I wanted to see how well it would do without them. after the last 0-120mph run, pulled into the driveway and put the fans on, within 2 minutes coolant was at 165 and oil at 185, oil pressure at 42 psi. I run a Stewart water pump and Detroit power cool coolant mixed 50/50. the fans are dual taurus fans and they were running on low speed.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I've been looking at these http://www.fluidyne.com/products_oil-coolers_high-performance.html#5

The DB-30618 looks like a perfect fit for my GMC lower valence and it has AN-12 fittings.

That's almost 124 sq in area (displaceable BTUs should be slightly higher than a 2" thick cooler since it's 3" thick). If you can get the air flow to it all, it should do a wonderful job. Fluidyne is very good. Expensive too however (more than I was willing to spend on a test).

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ill be ordering a temp gauge along with my 3 pod apillar. i cant run anything in a lower valence as its not there. heres what im working with

100_01711.jpg

100_01731.jpg

these are from a few years back but its still the same front end

I think i could fit three coolers in there, only thing is i wanted to fit a fuel cooler on the lower part of the bumper. thats why im lookin at other thicker coolers that could get the job done though im sure i could get a few stock ally coolers for cheap. maybe i need to go back and re-read what you posted but with the camper on the back you were hitting 227* with the coolers right?

On edit, it looks like that test was WITHOUT coolers. theres hope for me yet :D

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
:drool: Yum, yum. Lots of working room there James.

Yea, the 227*f was empty but I was running the LB7 up the grade on the Clark Kent tune with the duals running and the GT42 pumpin hard. I was trying hard to temp it up. The LB7 dually is 8100lbs the way it sits (cert CAT scale with 6 gal of fuel). I got the LLY (3500 cc/lb srw with a 2500+lb old slide in camper) with the stock tune and stock liquid cooled turbo up to 244*f on the same pull with no cooler.

I cant remember if your running the liquid cooled turbo or a journal bearing? This will make a difference too.