No more twinkies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohn

GMC Dmax
Oct 13, 2012
Westview Pa
What's wrong with Walmart? They aren't unionized! :D

Why are unions for the most part democratic ?
Why do you have to pay membership fee to be in a union club?
Why has automotive industry moved away from the UAW?

IMO it goes both ways with unionized businesses both parties ,management and workers get greedy and in the end this is what you get no more twinkles!

Because the Republicans are union busters.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
This. All this.

My place of employment has told us, if they hear a word bout union talk, their closing the doors and thats that.

That company is ignorant.

Again, unions have a place, very good things can come out of them and I was glad to be part of the ones I was in. BUT if you need a Union to get the company to treat you fairly you shouldnt be working there IMO.

The lazy azzes that are a part of some unions will just end up dragging azz at some other job too, theres no up side.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
That company is ignorant.

Again, unions have a place, very good things can come out of them and I was glad to be part of the ones I was in. BUT if you need a Union to get the company to treat you fairly you shouldnt be working there IMO.

The lazy azzes that are a part of some unions will just end up dragging azz at some other job too, theres no up side.

Above in red, this is something I cannot fiqure out. The guys in the unions claim all companies are out to screw the worker but in all reality, unions make up a small portion of the workforce. So, does that mean all workers who are not in the union are being screwed? We all know this isn't true. So that brings me to your comment, why work for someone you know wants to "screw" you at every turn but not for the union brass?

And for the member(harbin 22) who keeps calling non union workers "scabs" and "rat", grow up. You are the guy who makes union members look bad. While I am on the subject, what union are you apart of that you "run" $20 million dollars in work? Or did you mean you work on $20 million dollar projects? :confused:

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Above in red, this is something I cannot fiqure out. The guys in the unions claim all companies are out to screw the worker but in all reality, unions make up a small portion of the workforce. So, does that mean all workers who are not in the union are being screwed? We all know this isn't true. So that brings me to your comment, why work for someone you know wants to "screw" you at every turn but not for the union brass?

And for the member(harbin 22) who keeps calling non union workers "scabs" and "rat", grow up. You are the guy who makes union members look bad. While I am on the subject, what union are you apart of that you "run" $20 million dollars in work? Or did you mean you work on $20 million dollar projects? :confused:

Not to pick a fight or anything Josh but im a Union Carpenter and what Harbin was saying is what most construction supervisors say. I will usually just tell someone i run work for xyz company. Anyways most guys just refer to running work as the same thing as running a 200000 project or what not. There is a HUGE place in this world for unions, those who are non union will never understand this but if you were in a union you would be much happier with your job guaranteed. I do not believe in alot of the autoworkers, bakers, ball fondlers etc... unions, BUT i do believe in "Skilled Trades" unions. In this day in age i do not and never will understand how someone can sit here and tell me im overpaid because i make $26.77 per hour and have a 60 mile one way commute minimum with gas $4.00 a gallon. So when you do the math on a normal 40 hour work week i gross $1,070.80, after the government ass rapes me with taxes i bring home around $725.00 per week. Now you can take out your gas money:thumb: 120 miles a day which is 600 miles a week is about $160.00 in gas per week. SO in the end on friday im make somewhere between $550-600 per week. Is that overpaid to do manual labor construction work? I dont get it with people that always say we are overpaid. Yes maybe some people are mislead by the hourly rate but most do not understand we don't get to work year round, some times you only work 6-8 months so if you really figured things out most union carpenters probably only make 18-22 a hour if you look at it that way because they dont get to work all year. Sorry for the ramble just wish some people would understand we don't make what you all think. You probably make more than me if you have a 15.00-16.00 a hout job and get to work all year long.

zeke38

Sep 29, 2009
Newark, IL
Run $20,000,000 dollars worth of work and tell me I'm not worth over $30 an hour. In construction, if the company is still getting work, paying their guys $30 an hour, over Rat outfits paying $12 an hour, tell me what's wrong in that situation. We keeping getting work and we all make good money. I'm not saying certain unions arent screwing them selves, but some are for the better. Hearing all of you all saying "unions are ALL bad" kinda strikes a nerve with me. Walsh construction is a huge union outfit that just got $1.6billion dollars worth of work locally to me, actually saved KY and IN couple hundred million on the original cost, wonder where the scabs were on that bid?

They have their place and I'm glad I am in what I am.

Walsh. I worked for tj lambrecht. If you know of them

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dirty-b

KCCO!
Jun 5, 2010
Central MN
This. All this.

My place of employment has told us, if they hear a word bout union talk, their closing the doors and thats that.

I am not positive but I believe that is illegal.

Not to pick a fight or anything Josh but im a Union Carpenter and what Harbin was saying is what most construction supervisors say. I will usually just tell someone i run work for xyz company. Anyways most guys just refer to running work as the same thing as running a 200000 project or what not. There is a HUGE place in this world for unions, those who are non union will never understand this but if you were in a union you would be much happier with your job guaranteed.

How do you know I would be happier? I work as a machinist for a great company that pays better than the union shops in my area. A union would have no benefit to me where I work and the fact that you think that just shows how brain washed and ignorant you are.

I do not believe in alot of the autoworkers, bakers, ball fondlers etc... unions, BUT i do believe in "Skilled Trades" unions. In this day in age i do not and never will understand how someone can sit here and tell me im overpaid because i make $26.77 per hour and have a 60 mile one way commute minimum with gas $4.00 a gallon.

No one makes you live or work where you do if you don't want to drive get a closer job or move closer to your job. You choose to live and work where you do so don't bitch about the drive or price of gas.....

So when you do the math on a normal 40 hour work week i gross $1,070.80, after the government ass rapes me with taxes i bring home around $725.00 per week. Now you can take out your gas money:thumb: 120 miles a day which is 600 miles a week is about $160.00 in gas per week. SO in the end on friday im make somewhere between $550-600 per week. Is that overpaid to do manual labor construction work? I dont get it with people that always say we are overpaid. Yes maybe some people are mislead by the hourly rate but most do not understand we don't get to work year round, some times you only work 6-8 months so if you really figured things out most union carpenters probably only make 18-22 a hour if you look at it that way because they dont get to work all year.

Yep and then most of you collect unenployment all winter, and again you choose this profession.

Sorry for the ramble just wish some people would understand we don't make what you all think. You probably make more than me if you have a 15.00-16.00 a hout job and get to work all year long.

Look, I don't think unions are all bad they have their place, but they are not needed at every place of employment like most union worker believe. My problem with them is most union people HATE non unoin workers and will bad mouth, call them names and try to intimadate them at every turn. We all should be able to make a choice who and where we work along with if we want to be apart of a union company or not.

Last edited:

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Jamie its real easy for you to say just move closer to your job huh??? How in the hell do you move closer to a job that moves everyday or every month:confused:
I would go to say most unions have a way better pension, annuity, benifits, vacation savings etc... than you and your local machine shop. So unless you were crazy i would guarantee you would be happier.
Thats what unemployment is for:thumb: For a working man who is unemployed not sure what your point is you think union members are getting rich off unemployment? All im saying is the unions are not all they are cracked up to be. The shitty unions screw it up for the good ones is the problem.

dirty-b

KCCO!
Jun 5, 2010
Central MN
Jamie its real easy for you to say just move closer to your job huh??? How in the hell do you move closer to a job that moves everyday or every month:confused:
I would go to say most unions have a way better pension, annuity, benifits, vacation savings etc... than you and your local machine shop. So unless you were crazy i would guarantee you would be happier.
Thats what unemployment is for:thumb: For a working man who is unemployed not sure what your point is you think union members are getting rich off unemployment? All im saying is the unions are not all they are cracked up to be. The shitty unions screw it up for the good ones is the problem.

Look I don't want to start a big pissing match, but you have no idea what I have for benifits so how can you say that? FWIW I worked for a company in 98 where the workers tried to get a union in and they (the union) could not guarantee anything other than we would have to pay union dues. It would all have to be negotiated with the company.

Last edited:

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Look I don't want to start a big pissing match, but you have no idea what I have for benifits so how can you say that? FWIW I work for a company where the workers tried to get a union in and they (the union) could not guarantee anything other than we would have to pay union dues. It would all have to be negotiated with the company.

Well maybe i shouldn't have said that but you may be one of the few that have that good of a benefit/pension package. And there is not really many other companies that have a Annuity like i have which is damn near a 2nd pension. For the most part it is hard to beat union retirement but if you say you have something better that is awesome. I guess i shouldnt have said I guarentee you would be happier but from what i have seen there is very very few non union shops that compare to the benifits we get long term. Im not one to fight about this shit so don't worry about that if you make a fair wage and a fair retirement then that is awesome i respect that. There isnt a whole lot of people that can say that anymore:thumb:

dirty-b

KCCO!
Jun 5, 2010
Central MN
Well maybe i shouldn't have said that but you may be one of the few that have that good of a benefit/pension package. And there is not really many other companies that have a Annuity like i have which is damn near a 2nd pension. For the most part it is hard to beat union retirement but if you say you have something better that is awesome. I guess i shouldnt have said I guarentee you would be happier but from what i have seen there is very very few non union shops that compare to the benifits we get long term. Im not one to fight about this shit so don't worry about that if you make a fair wage and a fair retirement then that is awesome i respect that. There isnt a whole lot of people that can say that anymore:thumb:

:hug::thumb:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I have seen both sides of the coin.i think unions have their place especially in the trades.I am in a union i also work hard and i sleep very good at night.You will always have a differance of oppinion and thats not gonna change.And you guys saying well if you dont want to drive 120 miles a day,you dont have to,your right i dont have to but i love my job,i dont want to be layed off, fired or sent to the bench and i would do what i need to to put bread on the table for my family (to many commas lol).

Now do i think it takes a union to make twinkies?I guess i dont know the whole story but i would say not.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Twinkies.

Brings back some memories.

YWZhdGdpcmxzLmpwZw.jpg

What will I do for bait now.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Just wondering but do you guys consider 30 bucks / hr a good paying job?

And what tax bracket does that put you in?

Just trying to learn

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana

What I mean is, when I show up every morning, I have a $20million dollar project that I am in charge of. I am a boss, so it is up to me to "run" the entire job day to day. We range anywhere from $1 million to $100 million projects, all road/bridge work.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all

Just trying to learn

That's a good paying job depending on where you live in the country. Our scale is 42 and some change an hour and it is probably upper middle class here. But I can go to the west coast and make 50+ an hour and be lower middle class.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Those of you in unions are and will defend unions ,what a surprise.

What I find is unions in the private sector ,by that I mean private companies that aren't funded by TAX DOLLARS by way of jobs or am I referring to government workers!

Unions in companies not depending on tax dollars are killing these companies and forcing them to go out of business or move out of the country.

Unions funded by tax dollars are creating huge deficits at every level of government that tax payer cannot afford.

Also unions do make it hard to fire you. Fire the good and the scum. Need examples? Unions are like democrats I have no use for them!

Good bye twinkles. :mad:

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV

Just trying to learn

Guys that work with there hands, tools, laborer, electrical, equipment operator ect.... Can make 26-34hr pretty easily and that is a good paying job around here, now there is better around. Around here the one mine that is union there is less pay/less benefits compared to non union mines. There is a quite a few jobs were you can make $100k a year here with not to much overtime. Not sure on tax rate but it's around 25-35% if your single or no kids, fat twinky eating welfare milkers with 10+ kids pay nothing. Houses are roughly average 200-350k for a 1400-2400sqft with 1-2 acre lots here outside of town.

What is good/average were your at?

Status
Not open for further replies.