LB7: New Injector Design

Oct 21, 2009
Any idea when on when you will get them?
When we talked last week they were still stuck in customs
Cat part #?

Won't be a cat # they just used a similar desin off a cat style injector.

As far as tuning for stock applications I am not sure what gn will do. We are putting them on a mild built truck that alreadys has custom efilive tuning so be will just be having some new tunes toSsed in it.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
IDK about "fail" yet but one of mine (summer '09 warranty) is getting noisy, has a balance rate of 3.7 in idle. Most of the others are around 2. They were all at or under 1 when new.

FYI if they were done by GM in summer of '09 I wouldn't bet too much on them being the 2007+ design from Bosch. When you got the work done GM could have used a set that had been in stock since prior to 2007, at a dealership or at a GM warehouse. We would have to run the serial number to verify that this is the case but it is more than possible. Also want to note that running bad fuel through any common rail injector can tear one up quick.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Wow, really? Has this forum come to this?

What is the problem with the latest (2007, real, current, non-fiction) Bosch upgrades to the LB7 injectors? How many have had injectors with the latest revision fail? I mean I keep LB7 injectors in stock and we change a 3-4 sets a month, but I have never replaced any injectors that were the latest Bosch design. I have a feeling that everyone that is acting like LB7 injectors are still a problem are guys that don't have the most current injectors and are waiting for the day when their's go out. Unlike Ford who told their 6.0L customers that they were SOL with all of the probelms, GM extended the warranty to 7 years and 200,000 miles to try to take care of all of their customers - there is no way they could have made it a lifetime warranty.
I have the latest in my truck but have only had them for about 16 months with around 23k on them. The first ones lasted a good 4 years so we will see about these. There have been like 8 different Bosch revisions which really sucks for the guys who got warranty work done only to have crap injectors put back in :(

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Seeing as cat has a had a hard on for HEUI ever since diesels starting being computer controlled, what the hell would they be doing messing around with an on-road common-rail injector? :rolleyes:

I call BS too. Sorry. Especially for the increased fuel mileage claim. Any idiot with bigger injectors and EFILive knows that if you dont retune specifically to suit the bigger injectors, your fuel economy goes down from stock [injectors].

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I know that but what im saying is if they would end up making upgrades injectors. Like 40% over or more for the lbz. My factory ones do me well for 170k miles

well there have been upgraded (bigger) tips available for the LBZ's ever since they came out back in late 2005....

Extrude Hone, Exergy, etc... they all make "bigger LBZ injectors" anywhere from 10% over stock to 150+% over stock.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Seeing as cat has a had a hard on for HEUI ever since diesels starting being computer controlled, what the hell would they be doing messing around with an on-road common-rail injector? :rolleyes:

I call BS too. Sorry. Especially for the increased fuel mileage claim. Any idiot with bigger injectors and EFILive knows that if you dont retune specifically to suit the bigger injectors, your fuel economy goes down from stock [injectors].

Cat had common rail systems on the 07+ c7/c9.

Oct 21, 2009

Its a bosch product not a cat product, they are using a similar cat designed injector.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Drive fast, take chances, fix 'em when they break! :roflmao:

But keep a close eye and fix them as soon as they break - I've seen too many melted pistons on bone stock LB7s. Come in for an injector job and we inspect with the boroscope and find a piston melted. Calling to tell one customer that is how I ended up with a Kodiak - rod was bent to hell, piston was melted down the side and block had a deep gouge in the cylinder wall. Can easily turn an already crappy and expensive fix into an extremely expensive fix that'll have your truck down for weeks.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Wow, really? Has this forum come to this?

What is the problem with the latest (2007, real, current, non-fiction) Bosch upgrades to the LB7 injectors? How many have had injectors with the latest revision fail? I mean I keep LB7 injectors in stock and we change a 3-4 sets a month, but I have never replaced any injectors that were the latest Bosch design. I have a feeling that everyone that is acting like LB7 injectors are still a problem are guys that don't have the most current injectors and are waiting for the day when their's go out. Unlike Ford who told their 6.0L customers that they were SOL with all of the probelms, GM extended the warranty to 7 years and 200,000 miles to try to take care of all of their customers - there is no way they could have made it a lifetime warranty.

IDK about "fail" yet but one of mine (summer '09 warranty) is getting noisy, has a balance rate of 3.7 in idle. Most of the others are around 2. They were all at or under 1 when new.

Same here. I have a set of latest revision BOSCH LB7 sticks in my BURB with 24K on them. I am now getting some injector rattle, extended cranking time when hot, low rail pressure with a 1950 pulsewidth, and have a balance rate on #1 of -4.7 at idle in gear(1.2 in neutral). They may be better, but I aint happy with mine so far. I need to pull the covers and check my return rates to see how many need to be done.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all

x2!!! Im at one of the biggest bosch suppliers in the country quite often, sometimes every night, and nothing was heard of this...

Also im pretty sure bosch would never have to stoop so low as to copy something off a cat product, if anything it would be vice verca. Hell cat had to quit selling over the road motors for a couple years just to work on making them pass emissions...Id be willing to say cat doesnt even design their own injector... they just stamp their name on it like most things.

Im not asking for proof, im calling bs period, either someone is just blowing smoke up his a$$ or someone seriously got $crewed. A new revision i could see, that happens quite often, but the totally new design, cat, 40% over blah blah blah.... that brings me back to the times when cat/john deere was designing a motor for gm in the late 90s:rofl::rofl::rofl: