Jkholder's dirty laundry (cleanup from EPR bridge thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The second pic is easier to see, and it looks fine to me.
Why is the stainless not rainbowed is it not 309 or am I missing something?

Schwinn68, if you have been viewing the thread I would like to ask you a question.

If you were to make a kit like the one I sell how much time would you have in it?
Just a rough estimate. (cutting, fabbing and welding, assume all the flanges are on the shelf.
And how much would you charge per hour?

Or anyone else who may be qualified to answer this is welcome to as well.

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I can't see the pic real well. Are those pin holes in the center or just craters were you started and stopped?
Would you feel comfortable that you penetrated deep enough into the thicker flange?
Would You charge for that work?

I am just asking questions and being picky. Not saying I can do better. I just know how it feels to have your work picked apart online by a carpenter, accountant, or whatever else.

from mobile

I'm no welder or fabricator, but even I can tell that is some quality TIG work.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
The second pic is easier to see, and it looks fine to me.
Why is the stainless not rainbowed is it not 309 or am I missing something?
They had color on them. The customer requested the welds be cleaned and shiny so that's how I finished them. I only use a stainless wire had brush to lightly clean my welds so as to keep all the definition of the weave intact.
Schwinn68, if you have been viewing the thread I would like to ask you a question.

If you were to make a kit like the one I sell how much time would you have in it?
Just a rough estimate. (cutting, fabbing and welding, assume all the flanges are on the shelf.
And how much would you charge per hour? Price varies greatly by location and region.

Or anyone else who may be qualified to answer this is welcome to as well.

Not sure about the answer to the kit build. There are a lot of variables to consider. Being that I'm not a shop owner, I would hate to speculate what the true cost of building a kit would be. I know there is a lot of R&D that goes into these.

I do know that the first few kits made would be very costly and slow. The cost should come down quickly after that as ways to streamline the process were implemented.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Because I am a mechanic not a welder.
I spend all my spare time on forums.
I am a forum junkie same as the rest.
Dbush the welder came with a cd and manual. I could prob read that :roflmao

from mobile

Then why did you charge that guy so much to do that 6.7 kit? Why didn't you take it somewhere else to fix it for you? You keep saying that was in the past but what have you done to fix it?

I'm sick of this new American mentality that goes all the way from the president down to the bum on the street. This, "why do you bring this up, that was a month/a year ago" shit is annoying. If I fcked up someone's truck like that I would go back and at least return all the labor cost at a loss to myself.

If you would just answer directly and stop making excuses (I'm not a welder, there was no one else to do it etc) people might actually start respecting you. I screwed up, here is how I made it right and here is how I'm going to make sure it never happens again-that statement (if not over used out of someone being a shitbag) takes you a lot further than 50 excuses what something happened.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
And I have screwed stuff up, gotten behind and not finished jobs on time. Why don't you see people online bashing me? I called them as soon as I saw things were not right, and I did my best to uphold my end of the deal. I was honest with them. If I messed something up I told them (like one dodge I was doing a EGR block on, simple job but I feel over the side, scratched the truck. I pointed it out to the guy who didn't care) little shit like that makes people happy. bargain mechanic work isn't always going to be 100% shinny and perfect, but you damn well better believe the costumer will walk out knowing everything that going on. And most of them have no issues with it and still offer to pay the full price.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
There were no labor cost.
All the guy paid for was parts. Including built motor 2 fass fuel pumps dual fueler titan tank new driveshaft from .125 wall water to air cooler autometer cobalt guages traction bars and efr turbo.
Over 30 grand worth of stuff for 25k. I sold stuff at a loss.
Is it surprising that when I told him to return it all for a full refund he refused?

I didn't charge for piping because it was not my best job.
I did offer to pay to have it fixed.
The guy wanted more power and I refused to give it to him. He was on 38's and there is limited driveline upgrades.
He managed to rip the trans out and blame it on us anyway. I put h and s calibration 4 in that truck.

So basically the psa got right on it and blew it up.
Most pictures like I said were not stuff on his truck. It was a smeer campaign. But when its a gang attack by a core group and any nice pics get deleted. The mods on psa and comp d were editing my posting etc.
I had no chance for defense.

Take that for what its worth. That's my side in a nutshell.

But yes our bellow blew out and he contiued to race.
And 2 welds cracked.
I still today am willing to have that fixed.

Basically I was told by dan he was coming to get it. Had no more budget for this and needed it to drive back to alberta where he was getting twins. I had 2 weeks between engine being done and pickup. I did my best and he did drive it back to canada.
This was what the psa vulchers were waiting on and I should have sent it back on a trailer in hindsight. Live and learn I did what I thought was best.
I will not make the same mistakes twice

from mobile

Last edited:

02CCSB

Built
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
I can't see the pic real well. Are those pin holes in the center or just craters were you started and stopped?
Would you feel comfortable that you penetrated deep enough into the thicker flange?
Would You charge for that work?

I am just asking questions and being picky. Not saying I can do better. I just know how it feels to have your work picked apart online by a carpenter, accountant, or whatever else.

from mobile

Are you kidding or blind? Those are some of the nicest welds I have ever seen.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
A note to Mr. Holder, or whatever your real name is. If you really wish to do fab work in house, invest in a nice tig welder. You don't need to learn how to weld SS right off the bat I suppose, most intake piping is just rolled steel anyway. And don't use lap joints on intake piping or exhaust piping under the hood, makes it look like a cheesy exhaust pipe that belongs under the truck. IMO but wtf do I know.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Purehybrid we have phased out slip joints.
We have also found 3 welding shops all offer us lifetime warranty on welds.
Like I said I got into this bassackwards. But we keep selling kits until our new turbine hoising is ready. I think the latest kit will be totally ready soon. I will show it to you guys here first. I know I am getting good honest feedback from smart guys here.

You can call me Justin if you like.

from mobile

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Know this is off topic but I spoke with D today. Learned a lot more that I didn't know and decided that I should have a sign made for my dumbass..."Insert foot in mouth" Anyways talked/text got the ordeal figured out quite well. I guess I was frustrated of the truck being down but I learned there aint a point in bashing him its already broke and this just created drama. I mean I/we don't go blow up on the tire manufacturers when we get flat but I digress. D and I have a plan in place...I did learn that whatever happened in the past at Custom Auto he told them that he would take care of all the warranties out of his own pocket. So I must say that he is going to eat a hefty chunk on this and did offer to pay the labor to have it removed/installed here in town. That he didn't have to do so I guess goes to show I have much more learning to do. And he did remind me (I forgot...again ratard moment) that he let me know he was sure the TC had some form of fault.

So the past is behind us and the bashing of D can stop. Even as much as he can drive us all crazy...he still has good morals and is trying to help everyone out here in the diesel community.

That is all...have a wonderful day/night

mpeters0991

Aug 17, 2010
Southeast Iowa
Completely off subject, anyone ever seen how they "weld" railroad tracks together? Pretty damn neat

I'm a engineer for BNSF so we go by it quite a bit but I've never actually got to watch. From what I've seen it's a pretty good process. It's called Thermite welding for anyone else wondering.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Know this is off topic but I spoke with D today. Learned a lot more that I didn't know and decided that I should have a sign made for my dumbass..."Insert foot in mouth" Anyways talked/text got the ordeal figured out quite well. I guess I was frustrated of the truck being down but I learned there aint a point in bashing him its already broke and this just created drama. I mean I/we don't go blow up on the tire manufacturers when we get flat but I digress. D and I have a plan in place...I did learn that whatever happened in the past at Custom Auto he told them that he would take care of all the warranties out of his own pocket. So I must say that he is going to eat a hefty chunk on this and did offer to pay the labor to have it removed/installed here in town. That he didn't have to do so I guess goes to show I have much more learning to do. And he did remind me (I forgot...again ratard moment) that he let me know he was sure the TC had some form of fault.

So the past is behind us and the bashing of D can stop. Even as much as he can drive us all crazy...he still has good morals and is trying to help everyone out here in the diesel community.

That is all...have a wonderful day/night

Very good.
I saw the 741 code and was think tc trouble as well.
I am glad at least one positive thing came out of this besides a wrestling match in Austin Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.