LB7: IHI Port/Polish

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
I know this has nothing to do with port and polishing the IHI turbo but I found a solution I figured that if your going to port and polish it may as well get all the new found air to the engine properly. I found out the stock LBZ driver side pipe will fit in place of the crappy 90deg silicone hose and short IC pipe and rid the dreaded brake line/power steering leak rub issue.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I know this has nothing to do with port and polishing the IHI turbo but I found a solution I figured that if your going to port and polish it may as well get all the new found air to the engine properly. I found out the stock LBZ driver side pipe will fit in place of the crappy 90deg silicone hose and short IC pipe and rid the dreaded brake line/power steering leak rub issue.

Thats good to know.
I just replaced mine with a 3in MBRP one from creatures of the night at the same time I did the turbo swap.
Thanks again Henry :thumb:

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I know it's not an IHI but it's still porting/polishing so figured I'd throw it on here.

I Did the first part of porting the exhaust side of an LLY turbo this evening.
I'm looking forward in seeing how the performance gains compare to the IHI.
Tomorrow I should finish it all up minus rebuilding the center section hopefully.

Enjoy,
Yellowchevy

Attachments

• LLY Turbo 1.jpg
    LLY Turbo 1.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 114
  • LLY Turbo 2.jpg
    LLY Turbo 2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 113
  • LLY Turbo 3.jpg
    LLY Turbo 3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 113

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Well got the exhaust side all ported/polished and painted up.

First thing I noticed was that the casting around the turbine wheel is fairly smooth; not like the IHI. The discharge side of the turbine wheel had alot of rust in it that flaked off once I got to work. Up pipe flutes had some flaky rust but not nearly as bad as the discharge.
Another thing I noticed was how simple the the exhaust gases travel from the up pipes to the turbine wheel; makes for easier porting/polishing.

Tomorrow I should get the intake side completed.

Enough talking on with pictures :D

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• LLY Turbo 4.jpg
    LLY Turbo 4.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 121
  • LLY Turbo 5.jpg
    LLY Turbo 5.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 135
  • LLY Turbo 6.jpg
    LLY Turbo 6.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 135

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Looks real good Russ :thumb:

Was it pretty tight where the uppipes bolt up? I know the IHI it seamed it was opened up Quite a bit and i was wondering how the Garrett compared?

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Got the LLY turbo all rebuilt and the back side of the compressor cover all polished up; I'm very happy with how it turned out so far. Tonight and tomorrow morning I'll finish up the compressor cover.
I can't wait to see what the owner of the turbo thinks :woott:

Let me know what you think!!

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• LLY Turbo 7.jpg
    LLY Turbo 7.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 134
  • LLY Turbo 8.jpg
    LLY Turbo 8.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 136
  • LLY Turbo 9.jpg
    LLY Turbo 9.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 143
  • LLY Turbo 10.jpg
    LLY Turbo 10.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 144
  • LLY Turbo 11.jpg
    LLY Turbo 11.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 144

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
All done!!! :thumb:
Turbo is complete, packaged up and should be on its way back to the owner end of this week.

I hope if performs as well as the modified IHI does.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• LLY Turbo 12.jpg
    LLY Turbo 12.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 102
  • LLY Turbo 13.jpg
    LLY Turbo 13.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 108

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I've been meaning to put this up but every time I think of it I don't have it on me. The lines were really light so I had to trace them with darker colors so they aren't perfect.

All runs were done locked in 4th gear, not 5th. Tuning also remained unchanged from stock to ported turbo.
Stock cast wheel was also used, no Batmowheel.

As you can see the ported/polished turbo came on quicker and was above the stock turbo the whole way. Horsepower increased by 30hp and torque increased by 137ft-lbs. Not bad for the amount of time and patience it took :thumb:.

Figured some would like looking at the dyno sheet.
Enjoy,

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• Ported Turbo Dyno Sheet.pdf
    332.9 KB · Views: 133

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
on the LLY charger....do you happen to know the torque spec on the front half of the compressor as well as the 4 bolts that hold that assembly to the center section? The compressor wheel is torqued to 175-200 in-lbs.

thanks!

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
on the LLY charger....do you happen to know the torque spec on the front half of the compressor as well as the 4 bolts that hold that assembly to the center section? The compressor wheel is torqued to 175-200 in-lbs.

thanks!

Sorry I do not know the torque specs on them, I just used my better judgement.

Boost decreased some being I got rid of restriction and I also decreased my back pressure a little.
I monitored boost, back pressure, and EGT's before and after porting/polishing the turbo. What I noticed the most was how quick my EGT's would drop when I let off the throttle.

Thanks for the props guys, I really enjoy working on them; although hand sanding isn't the most fun, haha.

Yellowchevy