LB7: IHI Port/Polish

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Still seems low to me as its a 550-600hp tune but I dunno. Don't really know of anyone running as much fuel as me on stock twins and pushing them.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Pretty effin good! Still only got the two run on it (didn't drive her today). Ill play with her more on the way to and from work tomorrow. Feels like it gained all around the rpm range at wot. I think it's really gunna like the 480 wheel on the big turbo.

Oh I forgot to mention I swear it seems like the big turbo spools a bit faster BUT it may just be an assumption from three weeks of driving the sami

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Pretty effin good! Still only got the two run on it (didn't drive her today). Ill play with her more on the way to and from work tomorrow. Feels like it gained all around the rpm range at wot. I think it's really gunna like the 480 wheel on the big turbo.

Oh I forgot to mention I swear it seems like the big turbo spools a bit faster BUT it may just be an assumption from three weeks of driving the sami
I agree i think it will like the bigger wheel,i really wish we could measure the cfm from a stock turbo and then the difference from the ported batmo.Cant wait to see how it runs on the track,now you need to get rid of that leaky intercooler.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
yeah thats money i just dont feel like spending yet lol. had the retard that i brought my truck to to dyno done it right, id have a base line to go off of but no such luck there

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Once you take it to the track you should know if the porting/polishing and batmowheel helped with your track times. That one I did with just the stock wheel decreased his 1/4 mile times.

Yellowchevy

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Problem is, I dunno if this thing will see the track again. They are so damn far now and it's not like its easy to tow this big rig back if it does break. I'm honestly good with not going back. I know seat of the pants feels good. She pulls goooood. Lock up box and maybe the race tune will go in tomorrow

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well so far in my driving around, there is a noticable difference in spool up. this morning was when i noticed it the most. converter locked at 60, then traffic slowed to 55. i was paying attention to traffic and rolled into it like i do when i go to pass and usually know there is a hesitation waiting for the turbos to come up, thats pretty much non exsistant and it caught me off guard. Picked right up and went without smoking. No boost launches are still smokey bastards but spool up from there is still faster.

The stock turbo also actually has a whistle to it now too lol. while the 475 will drown it out still, i can actually hear it spool up now. Its hard to see an EGT drop as we have gone up 10-15* from when i drove it. its right around 110 out here now. i would bet it dropped though as my cruise temps and WOT temps are the same as they were when it was cooler out. I know its making more power as its cleaning up more smoke than it use to leave behind.

Overall im pretty damn happy with this thing so far! Thanks Russell! again, im not looking for as much HP increase as i am spool up and overall driveability, the HP coming with is a nice perk though :D.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how shes does towing next week :happy2:

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Overall im pretty damn happy with this thing so far! Thanks Russell! again, im not looking for as much HP increase as i am spool up and overall driveability, the HP coming with is a nice perk though

This is good to know.
After finaly getting off my lazy crack last weekend I went out and looked for the reason ive lost 10-15 psi over the last couple weeks and found that my turbo mouth piece was missing one bolt and the other two were lose. So after pulling it off to put a new gasket on I looked and the fins on my turbo looked like they turned themselfs into the batmo design. Not sure if that happened from the leak or what but the wheel has minimal up and down play and no in and out play that I can feel.
So I ordered a rebuild kit and a batmo wheel today so I can start playing with the IHI I have sitting on the shelf.

Attachments

• 20130615_180006.jpg
    20130615_180006.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 118

05chevy

Jun 10, 2010
This is good to know.
After finaly getting off my lazy crack last weekend I went out and looked for the reason ive lost 10-15 psi over the last couple weeks and found that my turbo mouth piece was missing one bolt and the other two were lose. So after pulling it off to put a new gasket on I looked and the fins on my turbo looked like they turned themselfs into the batmo design. Not sure if that happened from the leak or what but the wheel has minimal up and down play and no in and out play that I can feel.
So I ordered a rebuild kit and a batmo wheel today so I can start playing with the IHI I have sitting on the shelf.

Dirt can cause the wheel to start doing that

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
This is good to know.

yeah that thing looks EXTREMELY bad. my stocker has hardly any wear on it after 170k. i had that same leak there for a few months too cause i didnt realize i broke part of the gasket off when i put the motor together. you might check your 475 out too

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
yeah that thing looks EXTREMELY bad. my stocker has hardly any wear on it after 170k. i had that same leak there for a few months too cause i didnt realize i broke part of the gasket off when i put the motor together. you might check your 475 out too

I pulled all of the pipeing off and the cover on the 475 and it looked good.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
This is good to know.

It looks to me like the wheel has come into contact with the intake housing.:mad:
The wear on it looks very strange in how the material has been removed from the wheel itself; granted I haven't seen many turbo failures but still odd.

When you're rebuilding the one on the shelf just take your time. Lay out the bearings/seals like they came out of the center section. You'll need a small pair of snap ring pliers in removing those small snap rings.

Good luck :thumb:

Yellowchevy

James,

It was great to talk with you lastnight, sorry we got off topic and talked more about building engines than ported/polished turbos, haha.:D
I was glad to hear you like the turbo and is work well for what you wanted it for. Keep us updated on how she pulls the trailer :thumb:.

Yellowchevy