LB7: IHI Port/Polish

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Id get a charger from.trent or high techs seen some issues with II turbos coming apart not sure why yet but just fyi none of the ones ive sold have come apart yet but im keeping a close eye on them

I'd like to get one of Trent's 366 premium kits. But I spent more money then I thought on finishing the rockcrawler, plus the smart thing to do would be build my transmission before getting a turbo being my transmission is still stock. :(

I haven't came across or read of an II 366 coming apart :confused:
I'm assuming High Techs is the same as HTT?

I've been busy with work and doing some other projects on the weekend so I haven't worked on the turbo latey.

Yellowchevy

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
I'd like to get one of Trent's 366 premium kits. But I spent more money then I thought on finishing the rockcrawler, plus the smart thing to do would be build my transmission before getting a turbo being my transmission is still stock. :(

I haven't came across or read of an II 366 coming apart :confused:
I'm assuming High Techs is the same as HTT?

I've been busy with work and doing some other projects on the weekend so I haven't worked on the turbo latey.

Yellowchevy
High tech is htt.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Well its been awhile since I've been able to work on the turbo and have been forcing myself to do the final sanding in the morning before work and at the end of the day before passing out. :thumb::thumb:

I've gotten the very backside of the inducer(side facing the exhaust) sanded smooth with 1500 grit paper. The intake side where the turbo horn bolts and the outlet going to the intercooler sanded to 600 grit. Tonight I'll finish the other 2 area's with 1500 grit.

I'm trying to decide what color I should paint it, if I do, or should I just leave how it looks after going over it with the wire wheel? I was thinking white being my pickup is white but that'd be hard to keep clean.
Other people's thoughts?

I'm looking at putting the modified stock turbo on in 2 weeks, that's my plan anyway, :D:D
I need to finish making my version of a topside creeper before I do the swap, hopefully it will make life easier. :thumb::thumb:

Enough chit chat here are some pictures.

yellowchevy

Attachments

• Cover 2.jpg
    Cover 2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Cover 3.jpg
    Cover 3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 262
  • Cover 1.jpg
    Cover 1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 259

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
Looks awesome man. Curious to see the results. You should put one of these in there :D
IMG_0098.jpgIMG_0099.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 128

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Looks awesome man. Curious to see the results. You should put one of these in there :D
View attachment 22420View attachment 22421

I'm going to put the stock one back in and see if there's really any performance gains to what I've done. If there is then I'll look at putting a batmowheel in it.
Time will tell :D

I started sanding the back of the inducer wheel plate this morning before work, what the inducer cover bolts to. If I get a chance I'll work on it tonight.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Got the inducer part of the turbo done this morning before work.

Ground off some of the numbering last night to make it look cleaner. Then wet sanded the front side finished with wheel polish.
Also finished wet sanding the back of the inducer that the cover bolts to. Cleaned all the sanding residue off everything then used wheel polish to finish it off. I'm very happy on how everything turned out and hope all my hard work wasn't a complete waste of my time, that seems to happen more than I'd like.:rofl:

Now I can move on to the exhaust side. Need to smooth out the exhaust ports, as far as I can reach, then give it a few coats of VHT paint before assembling.

Still debating on whether or not I should put a Batmowheel in it. I'd like to put the stock wheel in to see if gasket matching and smoothing surfaces if worth the effort.

And the pictures. :rolleyes:

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• Turbo Cover.jpg
    Turbo Cover.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 237
  • Turbo Cover 2.jpg
    Turbo Cover 2.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 237
  • Turbo Cover 3.jpg
    Turbo Cover 3.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 237

fctry286

WhisperMax
Jul 30, 2010
San Diego.
looks good man. go to harbor frieght and grab a powder coater. cheap there like $40 grab a toaster oven and BAM. all nice

Last edited:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
looks good man. go to harbor frieght and grab a powder coater. cheap there like $40 grab a toaster oven and BAM. all nice

haha, I don't think there's any harbor frieghts up here in Canada where I'm at.
I've thought about getting a powder coater for doing small parts but never have. I kind of like the look of the shinny cover, haha ;)

Yellowchevy

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Looks great Russel i would do the stock wheel only to see how much difference it made otherwise you will never know.And if you are onto something could make some cash for yourself maybe.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Looks great Russel i would do the stock wheel only to see how much difference it made otherwise you will never know.And if you are onto something could make some cash for yourself maybe.

Thanks Scott :thumb:
That's my thinking as well.
Scott I sent you a text with a question about a garret 4202 turbo. You can ignore it if you'd like, I answered my own question. There's one on craigslist I see and was just thinking :rolleyes:

The wife and I had to make a rush visit to Kansas city for family reason's so the turbo project had to get put on hold. But being we're back in the area it gave me an opportunity to ordered a few things being it's much cheaper in America than Canada :eek:

I got a rebuild kit for the IHI, all the gaskets for swapping out the turbo, and new tail lights for the pickup being the previous owners glue holding the tail light bracket on didn't hold anymore :( . Good thing there's ebay :thumb: got some nice smoked LED one's.

So when we get back I can finish my topside creeper and obviously use it to swap turbo's ;) after I finish cleaning up the exhaust housing of the turbo and get everything painted.

I wanted to give Merchant-Automotive props for being a fantastic vendor. They had EVERYTHING I needed in stock :eek:. I continue to be impressed with Merchant-Automotive and will continue to do business with them:hello::hello:.
Roxanne did a great job keeping track of all the part numbers I gave her and didn't miss a single item. And within a few hours I had an email with my receipt and tracking number for my order. :woott::woott:

I also wanted to give props to Midwest Turbo Connections for having the IHI turbo rebuild kit. They had the kit in stock and will be mailing it out tomorrow morning. Also sent me an email with tracking info right after talking to them.

Just wanted others to hear of my good dealings with parts suppliers.:thumb:
Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Nothing like the smell of a freshly painted downpipe right out of the oven!!!:roflmao::roflmao:

Got the first step of the down pipe finished the other morning while down in Kansas city.
Still need to do the exhaust side of the turbo. We're heading back to Canada tomorrow morning so I'll get back on it. Stopping in ND to get the rockcrawler and a bunch of presents I ordered myself :woott::woott:.
Not looking forward to the hours of driving but at least my parents are about halfway so we can stop for the night.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• Down Pipe 1.jpg
    Down Pipe 1.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 171

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Nothing like the smell of a freshly painted downpipe right out of the oven!!!:roflmao::roflmao:

Got the first step of the down pipe finished the other morning while down in Kansas city.
Still need to do the exhaust side of the turbo. We're heading back to Canada tomorrow morning so I'll get back on it. Stopping in ND to get the rockcrawler and a bunch of presents I ordered myself :woott::woott:.
Not looking forward to the hours of driving but at least my parents are about halfway so we can stop for the night.

Yellowchevy
I asume you powder coated and baked it? Did that work pretty good?Cant wait to get the turbo on and see how it runs.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Well it's not done but I did get the exhaust housing painted this friday; still need to put it in the oven and bake it.
I have the center section to paint then I came rebuild it.

Yes I'm very slow :thumb:
At least I have pictures.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• Paint Turbo 1.jpg
    Paint Turbo 1.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Paint Turbo 2.jpg
    Paint Turbo 2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Paint Turbo 3.jpg
    Paint Turbo 3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 200
  • Paint Turbo 4.jpg
    Paint Turbo 4.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 192

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Well it's been a month so lets bring this thing back from the dead :D
Everything is painted and polished; plus I rebuilt the center section with new bearings, gaskets, etc.
I'm really happy with how it turned out, now I just hope it works and I don't have any problems.
I wonder if I need to do anything special to break in the new bearings being everything is new and tight? Midwest Turbo sent some break in information I need to read but was just wondering what others have done?
That means you Scott with your fancy II Phat Shaft :D :hug:

For those that care I was going to write up what I did in rebuilding the IHI. I was unable to find anything before I tore mind apart.

On to the pictures :woott:
And yes I'll get it installed one of theses days, I've got to many other projects I've been working; trailers, smokers, work :eek:

Enjoy,
Yellowchevy

Attachments

• Complete Turbo 1.jpg
    Complete Turbo 1.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Complete Turbo 2.jpg
    Complete Turbo 2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Complete Turbo 3.jpg
    Complete Turbo 3.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Complete Turbo 4.jpg
    Complete Turbo 4.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 176

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
:thumb:Looks good Russel What waistgate you going with?

I think the only thing oi would do other then making sure it spins free is just make sure your oil feed line is the last thing to get hooked up and pour a little oil in right before your gonna crank it just like any other new turbo.

AND GET THAT DAM THING ON I WANT TO HEAR IT SPOOL UP :hug:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I don't think it's going to move much air without a compressor wheel...

Looks good though. :thumb: