LB7: IHI Port/Polish

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Does anyone know if you can pull the comp cover off an IHI withough removing the whole turbo? I've heard some conflicting info and want to settle it before I rip this biatch out just to get the comp cover powder coated. Thanks guys.

I haven't tried but I've read more than one person that was able to remove it while still in the pickup.
The hardest bolt you'll have is the very bottom one. The ones on the side's shouldn't be too bad. The bottom one would be easier to get if you used one of those half moon wrenches - Their 12mm bolts
http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenches/ratcheting/half_moon_reversible/
I don't know if the Y-bridge posses a problem so that would be another thing to look at.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
02dirtymax - Using the wire wheel on the outside worked really good, made it shine. I need to get in the corner better with a die grinder and of coarse hand sanding. :thumb:

I got the wheel off last night after work with some help.
I don't think I'll be able to use the inducer wheel anymore, haha. :D:D

Damn thing was really on there. I tried holding it with my hands while the other guy turned the wrench but I wasn't able to so we wrapped the wheel with a thick glove and used channel locks but one of the fin's didn't make it. Being that happened I took the channel locks, help it up in the air while one of the guys tapped the shaft with a hander. That didn't work so we took it out to the maintenance shop, heated the wheel up some with a torch and pried it off while the one guy turned the shaft.
Now I need to get a T-10 bit to remove the 4 bolts to continue removing it.

I'm definitely learning alot about turbo's being I've never taken one of these apart before. :roflmao:

Thanks for everybody's input, I need it. :roflmao:
Yellowchevy

Attachments

• Turbo 1.jpg
    Turbo 1.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 283
  • Turbo 2.jpg
    Turbo 2.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Inducer Wheel.jpg
    Inducer Wheel.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 280

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
Where did you get it honed at?
I bet you're excited to get it running :D. Let me know if the honing made a difference.

Yellowchevy

I got it honed at Extrude Hone in Paramount, Ca. There is no way I will be able to tell you if the Extrude Hone made a difference by itself. I've made too many changes all at once. I'm going from a stock motor with an Edge programmer to a So Cal built and balanced motor with rods, pistons, cam, ported heads, billet wheel, RDL headers, Air Dog lift pump, Wicked stg 3 CP3, Exegry sticks, and EFI Live. Oh, and some a few Extrude Honed bits also. Just too many changes to single out any one of them. :D

But the honing definately cleaned things up inside the cover.

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
you might want to consider throwing a batmowheel in while you have the turbo out

I did consider it. Then I found out that they don't make a Batmowheel for the GT4094VA. Danville sells a billet wheel but not a Batmowheel. So I got a billett wheel. I had it put on by a turbo shop that also checked it for balance. Turns out it's balanced pretty good right out of the box. Definately within Garretts tolerances. :D

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I got it honed at Extrude Hone in Paramount, Ca. There is no way I will be able to tell you if the Extrude Hone made a difference by itself. I've made too many changes all at once. I'm going from a stock motor with an Edge programmer to a So Cal built and balanced motor with rods, pistons, cam, ported heads, billet wheel, RDL headers, Air Dog lift pump, Wicked stg 3 CP3, Exegry sticks, and EFI Live. Oh, and some a few Extrude Honed bits also. Just too many changes to single out any one of them. :D

But the honing definately cleaned things up inside the cover.

Never mind then:roflmao:, you're going all out. :thumb:
Well it sounds like you're not holding anything back in the build. Good luck and I'm sure it's be nice.

Yellowchevy

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
I did consider it. Then I found out that they don't make a Batmowheel for the GT4094VA. Danville sells a billet wheel but not a Batmowheel. So I got a billett wheel. I had it put on by a turbo shop that also checked it for balance. Turns out it's balanced pretty good right out of the box. Definately within Garretts tolerances. :D

Good deal! Yeah I hear Mark does top notch work

That's the plan. Especially being we destroyed the stock one.

Yellowchevy

shweet, curious to see what kinda gains you see :D

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Did you polish the inside of the inlet and outlet cover?(not sure is that's the right term :confused:)
I disassembled mine some more this after noon. I need to split the center casing where the band clamp is.
I'm need to complete the disassembly and find a rebuild kit before I start porting and polishing it.

Thanks for the link Odyssey25013, I looked through the first half of your thread lastnight.
Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Finally got it all torn apart tonight. Everything looked pretty good, except the shaft looks stained in the middle of the two bearings. Would this be considered coking being it looks to be from oil?
The shaft has some markings on it from where the inducer wheel was. Being when we rotated the shaft to break it free the wheel just rotated causing the shaft to get ruffed up. I should be able to clean it up I'm hoping.

All and all I'm satisfied as to how it looks, but then again I've never had one apart before, haha :rofl:
Very interesting to have one of these torn apart.

I've done some looking for a place to get bearings from but haven't been able to research alot yet. Before taking it apart everything looked good, minimal in/out and up/down play. After disassembly the bears looked really good, no noticeable wear. Maybe I don't need to put new bearings in it but being I've got it this torn apart I'm sure it's a good idea.

I attached pictures for those interested.
Yellowchevy

Attachments

• Exhaust Side 1.jpg
    Exhaust Side 1.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Exhaust Side 2.jpg
    Exhaust Side 2.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Exhaust Side 3.jpg
    Exhaust Side 3.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Exhaust Side 4.jpg
    Exhaust Side 4.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Intake Side 1.jpg
    Intake Side 1.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Exhaust Shaft.jpg
    Exhaust Shaft.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 169

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Is it in and running?:joker: We are waiting:popcorn:

There he is, I deserve this being I was all over you when you were install your 366!! :D

The wife and I are going to Vancouver BC this weekend so I won't have a chance to mess with it till next weekend.
Being I have it apart maybe I can put an up grated exhaust wheel in it, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

Yellowchevy

Odyssey25013

DF Regect
Nov 9, 2010
CT
Don't take an abrasive to the turbine shaft. It will lead to bad news stuff. You can get a Batmo wheel from Scott at SDP and bearings from G-POP Shop. OTher than that you can clean it up and try porting is. As for polishing the inside of the compressor housing (the tunnel), I did not, but right around the compressor I did (where the wheel sits).

This might help as well

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/t...et/49679-ported-turbine-housing-vs-stock.html

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Don't take an abrasive to the turbine shaft. It will lead to bad news stuff. You can get a Batmo wheel from Scott at SDP and bearings from G-POP Shop. OTher than that you can clean it up and try porting is. As for polishing the inside of the compressor housing (the tunnel), I did not, but right around the compressor I did (where the wheel sits).

This might help as well

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/t...et/49679-ported-turbine-housing-vs-stock.html

I was first going to use brake parts cleaner and then very fine steel wool.
Thanks alot for the link, I don't know how I missed that. I did alot of searching in all the forums online.

Yellowchevy