Headers and hi flow up pipes

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Also just to keep you all in the loop. I just received word that a second set is leaking at the flex that I was using. It started leaking after hitting 2000 degrees.

I'll pick up the pace on the search for what I believe is a good replacement.

On edit;

For those of you that have them already, if you bought them from me, I will replace the joint for free if they leak when I find an alternative that suits me.

Last edited:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Never satisfied, If you send me your headers and up pipes I will add the slip joints for you to try.;)

Thanks Larry. It's actually the same size. The problem is the OEM up pipes tried to do a cheap liner attempt. They actually neck way down inside the bellows. That and a very poor flowing fabricated elbow are their main drawbacks.

I've tried to up load pics, but the system says they are invalid.:( Probablay an update issue.

:)

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Also just to keep you all in the loop. I just received word that a second set is leaking at the flex that I was using. It started leaking after hitting 2000 degrees.

I'll pick up the pace on the search for what I believe is a good replacement.

On edit;

For those of you that have them already, if you bought them from me, I will replace the joint for free if they leak when I find an alternative that suits me.

are short bursts of 1600* - 1800* pretty safe to keep from leaking:)

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
are short bursts of 1600* - 1800* pretty safe to keep from leaking:)

Was for me and a lot of other people, but as I said before we are all learning. Back pressure is also a key factor I'm sure.

There will be no more of these sold until I am confident that this won't happen again. I know it's happened to several even on the factory bellows and that's another reason why I'm not confident in the ones the Turbo Buick 6 used.

If I can't make a part that's better I won't make the part.

Kat, I don't have any pics of the second set yet.

Last edited:

Duramax2001

May 3, 2008
Holy crap!! You mean we can actually have an intelligent discussion in regards to making the Duramax a better engine without ridiculous accusations and name calling etc???

This site rules..:yourock:

WOW I almost forgot how much information is out there when we work together.
Great to see Rick and Pat and the whole gang in this environment.

Jerod Jardine

Vendor Status on HOLD
May 6, 2008
Alot of the theories of header desing go right out the window on a boosted engine. Especially on a turboed diesel. It's a low rpm motor with reativly high boost presures. Headers on a warmed up DMX will most likely kill a bunch of torque from what I've seen. It takes quite a bit of power to make the headers work. The headers will let the motor spin higher and is easier on the drive presure numbers. Headers react better with ported heads and ported heads work better headers. I think alot of guys rely way too much on boost presure to make horsepower, if you can make every thing work together and give the boost some where to go and not force it through the engine it'll be easier on everyone. Drive presure is a fancy name for back presure. I don't know of an engine that likes to have 60+ pounds of presure wanting to get back into the cylinders.
We,ve also found the primaries and up pipes like to be small. 1 1/2" to 1 5/8". The up pipes seem to be happy at 2".

Rick, the wife is good. She is just sitting around waiting in Salt Lake. She got bumped back one spot, but is back at the top. So hopefully soon. I used some old tricks to get the Missionaries to quit beating on the door. It seems to be working.
Thanks,
Jerod.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I know it's happened to several even on the factory bellows and that's another reason why I'm not confident in the ones the Turbo Buick 6 used.
QUOTE]

Stock are not iconel....mine are, stock do not have braided stainless mesh for renforcement....mine do.

If you do not like the designe of them for flow or whatnot that is fine...but do not incinuate a lack of durability when mine have never leaked! No they are not on a 1000 hp truck but they have seen close to 2000 degrees several times for durability testing. Talk up your stuff all you want but do not put mine down. nuf said

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Just got a 3 axis CNC at the shop. :D :D :D It's like christmas every day!

Brayden

Well what did you get?

:nopic:

Back on topic.

To elaborate (sp?) on what Jerod said about headers.

What do think about a log style manifold instead of a individual tube style header. Why I ask is I have seen under the hood of a P-pumped PSD pulling truck (Double Overtime) that used log style headers. A

Jerod Jardine

Vendor Status on HOLD
May 6, 2008
I know the oe ones aren't Inconell. Inconell will go along ways towards helping this situation due to its thermall and expantion properties. The only problem with Inconell is availability and cost. We are curantly working with a prety well known NASCAR team that have jumped on the Inconell band wagon. A set of Inconell headers runs them $20,000.
Thanks,
Jerod.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I know the oe ones aren't Inconell. Inconell will go along ways towards helping this situation due to its thermall and expantion properties. The only problem with Inconell is availability and cost. We are curantly working with a prety well known NASCAR team that have jumped on the Inconell band wagon. A set of Inconell headers runs them $20,000.
Thanks,
Jerod.

I agree 100%, while iconel tubing is tough to get, inconel bellows are not. The majority of industrial bellows are iconel, which is where I source mine from. I never limit myself to the automotive market since most parts started from elsewhere. From the research I have done hastaloy would be the ideal material for the headers (it is used for burners in boilers and difusers on conbustion turbines to connect them to the HRSG, this exaust gas can be well over 2500 degrees for months at a time) But...hastaloy is even more money and next to imposable to get.

Also inconel can be sourced for cheaper by looking for it by the makeup rather than the pattened name. I belive it is something like NiCrMo2. Thats prob way off or maybe even hastaloy but it has been months since ive researched it.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I know it's happened to several even on the factory bellows and that's another reason why I'm not confident in the ones the Turbo Buick 6 used.
QUOTE]

Stock are not iconel....mine are, stock do not have braided stainless mesh for renforcement....mine do.

If you do not like the designe of them for flow or whatnot that is fine...but do not incinuate a lack of durability when mine have never leaked! No they are not on a 1000 hp truck but they have seen close to 2000 degrees several times for durability testing. Talk up your stuff all you want but do not put mine down. nuf said

Yup.

We don't need anyone tearing down other folk's work here.

Wow, can anyone show me where I said anything negative about anything except my own. :( I simply said I wasn't CONFIDENT in what he used.

It's up to you guys what to make of what I posted, but don't read anything into it that I didn't say. I didn't when a couple of you posted here with your subtle sarcasm.;)

This appears to be one of the most popular threads here of late, short of the DP thread. I've given you what I believe to be good honest info. Run me off the site if you wish. Nuf said!!

Last edited:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I know this is probably the dumbest question asked but just out of curiosity do the headers sound any different? This material talk is way over my head :baby:.

Jerod Jardine

Vendor Status on HOLD
May 6, 2008
No such thing as a dumb question. Yes they do sound diferant/ better. They get smother sounding.

Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA
QUOTE]

Care to donate a set for testing?