DCP_3857 (Small).JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 61

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Fwiw I will be doing some testing of headers in the next month or 2
Im curious to see what difference they will make

I will dyno the truck then install the headrs and head back to the dyno,Ill let ya know what I find out

they are not Ricks headers.....but headers are headers right?

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
No, headers are not headers. Especially on the Dmax, but that is a whole different story and all of us are still learning.

Good luck with your test.:)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I'm not stepping on any toes here or am I looking to get into any arguements. But I work with 4500psi 1005 degree steam all day long and the only 2 reliable ways to allow for thermal expansion are either a bellows or an expansion loop (which there is not enough room for).....but there is room for a bellow. About 15,000 miles with no prob. not even a gasket leak :D

These are far from a production piece, just some cobbled together crap :D

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I'm not stepping on any toes here or am I looking to get into any arguements. But I work with 4500psi 1005 degree steam all day long and the only 2 reliable ways to allow for thermal expansion are either a bellows or an expansion loop (which there is not enough room for).....but there is room for a bellow. About 15,000 miles with no prob. not even a gasket leak :D

Very nice!

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Yeah, those are where I started too. Unfortunately, they just don't seem to have good flow characteristics without a liner.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA

Where the heck have you been hiding? Don't make me break out my broom :witch:

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Yeah, those are where I started too. Unfortunately, they just don't seem to have good flow characteristics without a liner.

This is true on a flow bench under vac. but once you apply pressure flow becomes a whole different creature. As long as you can maintain a min id of what the tubing is flow will not be hurt much at all under boost. I know this from industrial bellows that come with efficency ratings for different pressures. The higher the press the less the % loss.

And Kat.....I have been hiding at work and am on the edge of either shooting myself or quiting :D On an up note i am 1 of 8 going the compete in the boilermaker of the year contest next week :D

Ok, i do have this week off and need to go back into hiding:rofl: to put my buick back together to try and save money on fuel :rofl: Kind of funny that a 10 sec car is cheaper to drive than the truck haha

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
And Kat.....I have been hiding at work and am on the edge of either shooting myself or quiting :D On an up note i am 1 of 8 going the compete in the boilermaker of the year contest next week :D

Ok, i do have this week off and need to go back into hiding:rofl: to put my buick back together to try and save money on fuel :rofl: Kind of funny that a 10 sec car is cheaper to drive than the truck haha

Good Luck :hug: Let us know how you do :D

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Taking a rating from a 4500 psi steam application and applying it to a 70 psi exhaust system may or may not work as they intended. They bnever had a turbo at the end to spool.

As long as it works for you then I'm happy though. I didn't like it and am seeking what I hope to be better alternatives.:)

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Taking a rating from a 4500 psi steam application and applying it to a 70 psi exhaust system may or may not work as they intended. They bnever had a turbo at the end to spool.

As long as it works for you then I'm happy though. I didn't like it and am seeking what I hope to be better alternatives.:)

No trouble here and im not trying to convince anyone of anything, but I use 4500 psi as the extreem high of what I work with, I have seen flow sheets on bellows rated for as little as 15 psi since there is just about every pressure you could imagine in a powerplant.

I have seen turbo specific slip joints that would prob work great, but at $200 a piece they dont seem very thrifty.

The best sonution would be non-compounded twins running in front of the motor supporting the trubos :D Then ya dont need anything for expansion :rofl:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
One more point, as long as we're all getting along and I hope this comes out right. ;)

The actual design of the bellows is part of the flaw in our case. It is a piece of tubing made into an accordion with the minor dia being maintained and swelling out the rest to form the actual accordion. There is more to my dislike of it then the turbulence it creates. The bellows holds more volume than the pipe it has replaced.

I'm sure this next statement will spark another debate, but I came here to share what little knowledge I have and let the members decide, so here goes.

Because of the volume difference you get what I'm going to call a "flow lag". For an instant, when you hit the throttle, you are filling this accordion shaped chamber INSTEAD of spooling the turbo. I have actually seen this lag on a back pressure gauge while testing on the dyno. I never really understood it until recently and it took smarter people then myself to figure it out.

This is one of the reasons some of the early attempts at what we're doing didn't work well. Some of us learned this the hard way. Tubing size and length is also a key player. This is also one of the reasons I am dead set against plenum style pedestals.

In order for the turbo to respond the way we want it too WE HAVE to make sure it's power supply ( the exhaust ) gets there as efficient as it can AND be available instantly.

Some of these things won't effect peak power on a dyno. But I have seen all of them show up in drivability, real world testing, racing, and pulling.

Congrats too!!:)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 47
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
One more point, as long as we're all getting along and I hope this comes out right. ;)

The actual design of the bellows is part of the flaw in our case. It is a piece of tubing made into an accordion with the minor dia being maintained and swelling out the rest to form the actual accordion. There is more to my dislike of it then the turbulence it creates. The bellows holds more volume than the pipe it has replaced.

I'm sure this next statement will spark another debate, but I came here to share what little knowledge I have and let the members decide, so here goes.

Because of the volume difference you get what I'm going to call a "flow lag". For an instant, when you hit the throttle, you are filling this accordion shaped chamber INSTEAD of spooling the turbo. I have actually seen this lag on a back pressure gauge while testing on the dyno. I never really understood it until recently and it took smarter people then myself to figure it out.

This is one of the reasons some of the early attempts at what we're doing didn't work well. Some of us learned this the hard way. Tubing size and length is also a key player. This is also one of the reasons I am dead set against plenum style pedestals.

In order for the turbo to respond the way we want it too WE HAVE to make sure it's power supply ( the exhaust ) gets there as efficient as it can AND be available instantly.

Some of these things won't effect peak power on a dyno. But I have seen all of them show up in drivability, real world testing, racing, and pulling.

Congrats too!!:)

I agree 100% with the theory.....but...and i dont want this to come out worng either. Everyone but one person said I was crazy to build an intercooler that was 2400 hp capable and run it on a 700hp car. But when i did the turbo didnt spool any slower and it allowed me to run over 26psi on pump gas with NO knock what so ever. Everyone and every book said that it would take way to long to fill with boost.....but it didnt. Theory works well most of the time, and could be right with this application....but i like to be odd sometimes. Also with the short bellows that i am using....now this is just a rough calc....the added volume is = to an extra 1/2" of tubing. My up-pipes varry more than that in length from the drive to pass side :eek:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
It's not theory.;) I don't "believe" in theory. I believe in ideas and testing.

I'm also not willing to compare what you've done with your CAC to whats going on in the up pipes. It's just not the same.

Last edited:

Nasty Girl

Apr 11, 2008
I will post some pics when I get my headers back on the motor. They are new and improved thanks to Rick and they sure look purdy coated too. :D