Headers and hi flow up pipes

Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA
What kind of issues have you had with yours?

tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic... very annoying. I've talked to Midwest about it over a month ago, they claim to be working on a fix. I called 5 days ago and Landon has yet to return my phone call. And the coating doesn't seem to be holding up very well.
leaking up-pipe1.jpg

Attachments

• leaking up-pipe1.jpg
    leaking up-pipe1.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 40

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
I think they have a ball or cone type joint on the newest version i saw a while back at the shop. This replaces the gasket between the header and up pipe on the earlier versions.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Thats not normal. Send it to me and let me at least replace the flex. I can't do nothing about the coating, but lets at least STOP the leak. ;) Did we talk about this already?

JM, he already has the v-band.

Last edited:

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
Why can't a machined slip fit be used like the Cummins exhaust manifolds? I would ASSume if the slip fit was long enough and close tolerance you wouldn't have an isssue.. or possibly capture one end and then let the other free float inside it.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I am trying a new idea, but it will take a couple of more weeks to go into testing.

Why can't a machined slip fit be used like the Cummins exhaust manifolds? I would ASSume if the slip fit was long enough and close tolerance you wouldn't have an isssue.. or possibly capture one end and then let the other free float inside it.

Ding, ding, ding. :D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

While it would eventually blacken the firewill pretty good, you may be on to something.

Two strokes often use something similiar with springs. They can expand, yet leak very little.

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
North on St. Joe. I am a buddy of Coreys, (GRAYAREA) he has the red ecsb that has spent alot of time at MDP. I met you at MDP last summer the day of Oak Groves pull.

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
I have yet to see an ATS 3 piece manifold leak much at all...

Hope that works for you Rick. Let me know if you need anything.. Just got a 3 axis CNC at the shop. :D :D :D It's like christmas every day!

Brayden

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
How is Corey's truck doing?

Here is my first feeble attempt at the slip fit. The discoloration on the pipe is from heating it with a rusebud while bolted on to the motor. Just wanted to see what it would do with heat. Hopefully next week we'll see how it seals while on a running motor.

Thanks Brayden, we'll do.;)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA
Thats not normal. Send it to me and let me at least replace the flex. I can't do nothing about the coating, but lets at least STOP the leak. ;) Did we talk about this already?

JM, he already has the v-band.

Yes. We talked in the beginning of march, you kindly offered to replace the flex when we talked and I was going to give MDP a little longer to see what they could come up with.
Nothing!
I'm embarassed to drive the truck it sounds so terrible.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Never Satisfied, You are the only one then that I know of that's leaking. At least I'm glad of that. Let me know. My offer to fix it still stands. :)