Got my trans built but shifts extremely hard

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You won't be needing another filter today.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
If the filter is clogged; you have a lot of damage. Yes the whine may go away for a short while, but you need to find out what happened. If the filter is not clogged; that means the damage may be minimal and you may be lucky damage wise.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Justin, I admire you for trying to take on your transmission yourself and your will to want to get it going right. All of us have tried to do things ourselves and a lot of times we didn't do something right the first time like we thought we did, or the second or maybe even the third but hang in there and find out what is wrong with it and fix it right and you can learn from this and tell people "I did that" even if you have to redo it you still did it. None of us would have what we have now had we not tried it the first time and took that leap of trying it. Show me someone who doesn't mess something up and I will show you someone who isn't doing anything. Good luck with your tranny and please do share when you find out what is wrong with it. My truck will be needing a tranny sometime in the future, lol.

whiterock06

Nov 4, 2015
Hang in there Justin nothing better than doing & learning it yourself no matter what the cost is. Very well said Gentlemen

06 Crewcab long bed Lbz

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I appreciate it guys I'm still hanging in there ima try to get it dropped this week to pull the pump off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Take it to Dustin if you can't figure it out

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Justin, I admire you for trying to take on your transmission yourself and your will to want to get it going right. All of us have tried to do things ourselves and a lot of times we didn't do something right the first time like we thought we did, or the second or maybe even the third but hang in there and find out what is wrong with it and fix it right and you can learn from this and tell people "I did that" even if you have to redo it you still did it. None of us would have what we have now had we not tried it the first time and took that leap of trying it. Show me someone who doesn't mess something up and I will show you someone who isn't doing anything. Good luck with your tranny and please do share when you find out what is wrong with it. My truck will be needing a tranny sometime in the future, lol.

Well said Shane.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Well said Shane.

Thank you. It just seamed as though everyone was against him. Yeah he could have had more info and such but since he's in college he's probably young and inexperienced just like all of us was at one point in our life. Allison trannys are some tough critters to build, I am sure Mike will vouch for that. We all need to step back and get off our high horse sometimes and remember where we came from. Myself included.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I am 21 and in college so I am inexperienced in a professionals eyes and I appreciate it I'll take a look at that link when I get home!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thank you. It just seamed as though everyone was against him. Yeah he could have had more info and such but since he's in college he's probably young and inexperienced just like all of us was at one point in our life. Allison trannys are some tough critters to build, I am sure Mike will vouch for that. We all need to step back and get off our high horse sometimes and remember where we came from. Myself included.

those of us posting to take it to someone reputable and quit dicking with it have seen these threads time and time again.

They are not hard to build till a problem arises. then nothing in the install book will help you. The diy guys that fix their issues that built their trans generally dont know what they did to fix it OR they break things internally over and over till they fix/replace something they didnt realize caused the issues to begin with. It sounds like im quote Mike L to the T but its just cause ive seen him post that same stuff for years about guys doing their own installs and Mike aint wrong. Ive seen it be true time after time.

There is no high horse involved, we are trying to save the him from creating more issues or spending even more money due to broken parts or torn up clutches/converter. Flat out, we dont know what he did inside that trans and only someone well versed in Allisons can look inside and see where the issues lay. Just being blunt and to the point with him. He bought the kit and installed himself to save money but that doesnt look to be doing him much favors now and its a common issues with Allison DIYers that have problems inside. your money ahead taking it to someone who can do it right the first time UNLESS you plan on sitting down, learning the hydraulics of the allison, understanding the workings of the TCM, know to then start seeing where the failure points are and how they can be fixed, and then understand every mod you do to the trans and what its doing. If you dont want to do that, buy a kit that has a damn good guy's help that is just a phone call away like Evan.

No scuff at you Slim and none of this means we wont help, thats not how this forum works and we have given him points to start at. Until we get that info back, its a waiting game.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
James it's all good man. I hope he can get it fixed and tell others what went wrong and learn from this is all.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
No one is against him. He needs facts, and real help to fix this. If he wanted someone to tell him he's doing great, and they are proud of him for trying so hard he should have called his mom.

He tried and failed. Simple. All of us have been there at one point with something. Puffing up his ego and stroking his pride won't fix his issues.

Society seems to be think everyone should get a gold star just for trying, I however, do not.

Hopefully I used enough smilies this time so no one will get offended. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I wasn't expecting anything from anyone I just asked for some simple advice I work on these trucks for a living we just don't do trannys at our shop and I wanted to do my own I wasn't expecting it to be perfect when I finished it the first time I was honestly happy it drove itself out of the shop pulling it out to fix my mistake isn't a problem I don't mind doing it its just a pain in the ass haha I started this thread hoping that someone may have had the same issues and could tell me what it was so I had an idea of where to begin my detail that I provided may not have been efficient enough but now since the pump whine it seems everyone has kinda gave me the same answer to pull the pump and I appreciate everything that everyone has done this isn't about my pride though I work at a small local performance shop and my dream is to have my own shop that grows big and we'll known I can't do that by paying someone to build my truck pride has nothing to do with it. I also didn't start this thread for everyone to start and argument either hahah

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Justin here is a link I think Zak shared a while back with someone. Maybe it will help you.
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...1000-teardown-rebuild-no-posting-allowed.html

The guy that rebuilt the Allison in the thread above you gotta give him an A+++++++ for extra effort, post 16 last picture you can see where he rebuilt the transmission on his second floor apartment balcony and some appear to have been done in the kitchen. That is one heavy awkward transmission to hump up and down stairs....

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I wasn't expecting anything from anyone I just asked for some simple advice I work on these trucks for a living we just don't do trannys at our shop and I wanted to do my own I wasn't expecting it to be perfect when I finished it the first time I was honestly happy it drove itself out of the shop pulling it out to fix my mistake isn't a problem I don't mind doing it its just a pain in the ass haha I started this thread hoping that someone may have had the same issues and could tell me what it was so I had an idea of where to begin my detail that I provided may not have been efficient enough but now since the pump whine it seems everyone has kinda gave me the same answer to pull the pump and I appreciate everything that everyone has done this isn't about my pride though I work at a small local performance shop and my dream is to have my own shop that grows big and we'll known I can't do that by paying someone to build my truck pride has nothing to do with it. I also didn't start this thread for everyone to start and argument either hahah

Just FYI, no one said to pull the pump yet. we all want you to pull the internal filter and give a pic after you open in up and look inside it. Mike has stated the trans is coming out either way but didnt say to pull the pump. be sure to really read what we are telling you and dont jump to conclusions. Remember, we aint there so we cant see whats going on. all we can do is go off what text and pictures you post. this can be difficult so following what they guys suggest to do is very important so they can help.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Alright I just figured if the pump is whining and I'm pulling the trans it's for the pump I will pull the internal filter this evening and post some pictures but not sure when I'll have a spot open in the shop to pull it in and drop the trans may not be till early next week

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Alright I just figured if the pump is whining and I'm pulling the trans it's for the pump I will pull the internal filter this evening and post some pictures but not sure when I'll have a spot open in the shop to pull it in and drop the trans may not be till early next week

READ man. They said usually pump dont whine like that.