Got my trans built but shifts extremely hard

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
No lint was on anything after I cleaned it and I pulled the pump apart cleaned it and put some assembly lube in the pump gears and yes I liked the marks up only thing else was the boost valve not sure what I could have messed up on the pump but atleast I have somewhere to look now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
If it's making noise in one gear, but not the others you probably have a torrington bearing that has grenaded. Probably from improper install....

Someone on here a while back supposedly installed the sun gears upside down or something. Not sure I believe it, but that could cause your sort of issues as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
It's loudest in first it's pretty loud but you can barely hear it in any other gear don't know if that tells anybody anything else lol but it looks like I'll be pulling it back out.

I got it from this post^^^^^

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
What do you mean opening the sump filter? Like cut it open and see if there's anything inside that would restrict flow

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
So should I do that first or does anyone still think it's in the transmission?

If your not going to listen to the people helping why ask any questions in the first place?

Start with dropping the pan and inspecting the sump filter....

Whatever you do, don't keep driving it!

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I'm not driving it after the pump started whining but I am going to do what people are telling me when I get out of class I'll go to the shop and pull the filter but once I do cut the filter that means just won't be able to drive it to see if the problem is fixed until another deep filter comes in

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm not driving it after the pump started whining but I am going to do what people are telling me when I get out of class I'll go to the shop and pull the filter but once I do cut the filter that means just won't be able to drive it to see if the problem is fixed until another deep filter comes in

I don't think you understand what these guys are telling you.

No one wants you to keep driving this thing cause your going to destroy more stuff. Opening the filter will tell you if there is a bunch of stuff inside. If there is, we need a pic so others here who know these Trans inside and out can tell you where to start. If there isn't anything in it, another test may be needed or pulling the trans.

So regardless, your not driving this thing any time soon since you don't really know where to start or what to diag.

IMHO, you need to take it to someone and tell them everything you did. This could get expensive fast

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Driving the truck any more is insane. This trans is coming back out. Noises are never a simple problem.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Just to clarify on opening the filter, there is really no need to cut anything with the internal sump filter. You can just pry open the metal crimp where the bottom and top are crimped together. If you start cutting, you can introduce foreign material that wasn't there prior to cutting (depending on the cutting method).

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Driving the truck any more is insane. This trans is coming back out. Noises are never a simple problem.

Agreed. Your first automatic tranny rebuild and it hasn't acted right since? This isn't a simple fix. Pull it back out and find someone nearby to help fix it or send it to Mike.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Just to clarify on opening the filter, there is really no need to cut anything with the internal sump filter. You can just pry open the metal crimp where the bottom and top are crimped together. If you start cutting, you can introduce foreign material that wasn't there prior to cutting (depending on the cutting method).
Good call Josh. I use a sharp pair of side cutters and just snip the metal band in a few places. But prying it open is another good method.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007

You won't be needing another filter today.....