Got my trans built but shifts extremely hard

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Well you call and tell DT that then and why you think they are wrong lol if I don't make 475 after all the work I've put in my truck then I'll be selling it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
A healthy LLY will do 500rwhp, but I don't see 550 unless it's a happy dyno. I know mine did 531hp but trap speeds say around 510.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Track times have more variables then just hp numbers. And I just don't see their dyno being that bad off they are one of the largest tuners but either way I'm not making any hp without a turbo so I need to figure out what I'm going to do so I can order parts tomorrow or start looking for a turbo

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Has anyone ran a s366? How difficult is it to spool? I've only ever rode in a cummins that had one and it took a little bit to spool it.

Smokum

May 21, 2010
Sounds to me like you got into their koolaid. Ever stop to think that they are trying to sell tuning so they just might make things look a bit better than they actually are?

Track times have alway been and will always be a much more accurate way to judge power.....but it sounds like you have it all figured out now so carry on.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I mean track times don't lie but there is also a lot more variables to track times then on dynos like weight, aerodynamics, and the driver of coarse just because we have the same mods one truck might still run faster then the other just because of a difference in weight or the driver.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Track times, and mph are 2 different things.....

Track times (ET) vary yes, but mph for some reason isn't nearly as easily affected by the variables.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Mph is still affected. A higher speed with a slower time means it's a slower launch and the car is making up for it on the top end Wether it's built they way or not as my launches in my truck got better my track time got fast and my mph went down because I was getting faster 60ft times I wasn't making up for it down the track

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Oh no kidding? Is that how that works?

I'm learning lots in this thread.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
All I'm trying to say is if I want to see hp number I have to dyno it yes I want good times but hp isn't the only way to get good times lol

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I didn't want to start this debate I just asked a simple question lol batmowheel and rebuild or a used stock turbo now that people know what my hp goals are

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mph is still affected. A higher speed with a slower time means it's a slower launch and the car is making up for it on the top end Wether it's built they way or not as my launches in my truck got better my track time got fast and my mph went down because I was getting faster 60ft times I wasn't making up for it down the track

The one to two mph you will see in a good launch and bad launch will give you a very close idea of what the truck makes. If your seeing mph changing more than that, you have other issues that need fixing before you can say what your truck makes.

And you didn't read my post fully. I never said you wouldnt break 500hp. I said you wouldn't break 600 with your current setup. A lot of thing have to be just right to hit the peak number says it can make. Air temp and density, fuel system health, dyno, engine health, turbo system health, and performance parts added.

You got lots to learn young one. Stock trucks to mild modifications like your posting are nothing new to a lot of us here and we know just about where you will be. With the way your truck is run, i wouldn't count on it being one of those rare ones that run overly well

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
When I first started raving a 10 psi launch I was running around 82 mph after I started launching 16 psi it dropped to 75 mph no difference in the truck I know all of those things have to be right and like I said I was hoping to make that much but yall make it clear that won't happen and yes I do have a lot to learn 21 years old I just bought my truck 3 years ago I didn't know a single thing about a diesel I stayed up countless nights reading stuff on forums I'm in college for diesel mechanics and I've been working at a small performance shop for 6 months I don't claim to be a duramax expert but it seems like when you don't know something people just want to tell you your wrong or can't do it instead of actually explaining things and how it works or why it won't work it's clear I'm not making 600 ok stock turbo is it possible a batmowheel will though?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You arent going to get anywhere close to your goals doing what your doing and listening to the people you're listening to.

If your truck doesnt have the HP and TQ needed to run the time and mph you are looking for, no amount of driving skill or suspension setup is going to magically get you there.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
The Internet has lots of good info. Problem is, even with all the good info, probably 90% of it is BS.

A well rounded, good shifting, properly set up Truck making an honest 480-500rwhp is a lot more of an accomplishment then you think or realize. You seem to think anything less then 650 is just child's play.

Just because everyone on the forums and on Facebook these days claim they have a 600+ horse power Truck doesn't make it true.....

Also, you said all this work for only gaining 200 horse power wasn't worth it. I don't think you understand what your truck made stock. Most stock LLYs will dyno in the 235-245 rwhp range. So getting to 500rwhp means you gained over 250rwhp. More then doubling the factory horsepower. Still seem lame to you?

Your problem is the same as most people's problem. You have tried educating yourself, which is good. But you did it reading the words of idiots a majority of the time.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Just buy a used stock turbo from a reputable member here and get your truck running. No need in changing things and adding new variables at this point. Stock turbo for now, and let's see how your trans is doing.... Then, when everything is operating correctly, we can help you pick out the right charger/chargers.

Wolf

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Alright that sounds like a decent plan I'll start looking for a used stock turbo. No reason to go with a different year model turbo is there?