Got my trans built but shifts extremely hard

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Yea I know but mileage is about the only way to really explain how much I drove it haha cause idk how many up shifts I went through and the tunes are the same I've had for 2 years it's tranny safe tunes from duramaxtuner my built Trans tunes should be emailed to me tomorrow around lunch I'll install them and see if any of them change the way it shifts I'll keep driving it though on my lol 5 because it shifts fairly smooth only issue I seem to stiff have is if I'm in tow haul and running about 55 or so where it's still in 5th but would usually be in OD if I take tow haul off it wants to slam into OD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Leave one tune in it until the shifts clear up

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I'm about to blow this thing up lol last night it drove fine all night shifted smooth on the way to school this morning its an hour drive it shifted kinda rough the whole way so it's kinda pissing me off my boss had an lb7 at work and it's got a fresh transmission in it it's stock but I think ima pull the VB out of it and put it in mine if that fixes all my rough shifting then it's in my VB because we've checked my clearances they are all good everything is in place I made sure all of the Torrington bearings were all in the correct place. And since it's not a consistent problem it will shift fine sometimes then sometimes not I don't see it being in the transmission but idk lol

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Drive it more. It's been three days. Trans has to learn. There's been times mine has taken a week and half to start shifting smooth after tcm tuning.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
My luck just keeps getting better so remember last time I had the trans in and I said that the TC vane solenoid stopped working that vane position was stuck at 0% well the next morning I went out and started it and it was fine cycled the vanes with my tunes and went on well today came out of class and when to go home had no boost pulled up vane position it was working like normal just pulled it in the shop and pulled the intake my turbo has siezed up.. I don't understand how that happens while i was siting in class it was fine all morning then after class nothing.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Just so you don't go chasing your tail if your truck isn't running 100% the transmission will never shift right. Boost leaks,Low rail pressure,low voltage ect all will cause erratic shifting.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Just so you don't go chasing your tail if your truck isn't running 100% the transmission will never shift right. Boost leaks,rail pressure,low voltage ect all will cause erratic shifting.

Treed me!

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Yea it shifted like shit after class when I had no turbo but now the shifts aren't exactly my main concern haha I can drive with rough shifts and hopefully it gets better but I can't drive it without a turbo

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
So what do you guys think keyshawn about a wicked wheel i wanted to do a 475 over stock set up in the future but right now since I just built the trans funds are a little low but I had to just stock rebuild the turbo if I already have it out so I found a kit for $200 that is a rebuild kit with a billet wheel but it's the factory 11 blade wheel just billet or I can just get a kit and a wicked wheel separate what do yall think would be better?

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Yea but if I do a s475 over stock will I not have to rebuild the stock turbo anyway with better bearings and a better wheel?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I would be doing some investigating as to why your stock turbo failed in the first place. It's not very common for them to seize up like yours did.

Check for proper oiling, and for boost leaks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I will when I pull it off hopefully this evening and it's got 184k on it i also have a blow off valve on it not sure why that would cause it to sieze up but I haven't checked the plan in it in 30k miles but the compressor wheel and housing look fine now sure how the turbine shaft looks yet

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
If you had a blow off valve set to open at a lower psi than the wastegate, it would seem that the turbo could overspeed, which could most definitely cause it to "lock up"